Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:56:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: WELFARE CHECK! Who is still alive? :-)  (Read 4302 times)

Klondike Kid

• Lingcod
  • The Eagle Whisperer
  • Alaska Outdoor Journal
  • Date Registered: Sep 2016
This has been one of the quietest years on the board for Alaskan yakkers since I have been monitoring it. I guess we all have been pretty busy this year. Hopefully everyone will get it together and we can have some enjoyable "Meet n Greet" outings as well as the traditional events.

HOMER WEATHER: RAIN starting Sunday. Temps in the low 40's. Might be a good series to break in that new 2018 fishing license and king stamp.

Hope everyone has a Safe and Happy New Year! :D

P.S. The International Halibut Commission is up to their old tricks again. It looks like they are going to put the hammer down on reducing the total commercial/charter harvest in 2018 by 24%. That will equate to continuing the no halibut charters on Wednesdays and even more days added to the no halibut charters on Tuesdays this season. There are even rumors that the PRIVATE boats/anglers might see some sort of restrictions. Just have to wait until the end of February to see the results. Of course the commission will be "ruling" on all WEST COAST halibut fisheries besides the AK region. So everyone on this board that fishes saltwater may be affected.
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Take a Kid Fishing and Hook'em For Life!  ~KK~

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
This has been one of the quietest years on the board for Alaskan yakkers since I have been monitoring it. I guess we all have been pretty busy this year. Hopefully everyone will get it together and we can have some enjoyable "Meet n Greet" outings as well as the traditional events.

HOMER WEATHER: RAIN starting Sunday. Temps in the low 40's. Might be a good series to break in that new 2018 fishing license and king stamp.

Hope everyone has a Safe and Happy New Year! :D

P.S. The International Halibut Commission is up to their old tricks again. It looks like they are going to put the hammer down on reducing the total commercial/charter harvest in 2018 by 24%. That will equate to continuing the no halibut charters on Wednesdays and even more days added to the no halibut charters on Tuesdays this season. There are even rumors that the PRIVATE boats/anglers might see some sort of restrictions. Just have to wait until the end of February to see the results. Of course the commission will be "ruling" on all WEST COAST halibut fisheries besides the AK region. So everyone on this board that fishes saltwater may be affected.
I am stil ALIVE!!!!  Between on water weather, road conditions and work, its been a brutal year.  I am also trying to start up a small business my kids can run but that isnt going as smoothly as I would like.  Two teenage kids is turning out to be a bigger challenge for a single dad.  Lol. 

The ocean in our area is changing.  Commercial cod quota in the area have been slashed 80%.  Southeast AK king numbers down.  Hmmm.....

2018 may be a year of trying new things.  Its hard to pass up kings and halibut, but I may work on diversifying the fishing.

I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas.  I hope 2018 will be a much better year than 2017 for everyone!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

AKFishOn

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Dec 2015
Still here...waiting for the King Derby I reckon.  With salt being the only open water for now and Homer being a damn far drive, I'm spending my meager kitchen passes on ice fishing.
"If your hands ain't bleeding, you ain't fishing hard enough!"

Low_Sky

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
I'm still alive too. Can't remember the last time I put a kayak in the salt. 2017 was a busy year for me and work has had me out of the state for a lot of the year. Also just moved from Anchorage to Eagle River, putting even more miles between me and the salt water.

The winter fishery is just too fickle for me to commit to the time, fuel and winter driving risk on the rare occasions that I DO have a free day.

I've even been contemplating selling off my kayaks and saltwater gear, but I haven't reached a final decision yet. I bought into this stuff when I lived in Soldotna and was a Slope rotator. It just keeps getting harder and harder to get on the water. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2016 Hobie Revolution 16
2014 Perception Triumph 13

T_Bird

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
K.. if SouthEast AK King is down... that's bad!!!

AKFishOn

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Dec 2015
I'm still alive too. Can't remember the last time I put a kayak in the salt. 2017 was a busy year for me and work has had me out of the state for a lot of the year. Also just moved from Anchorage to Eagle River, putting even more miles between me and the salt water.

The winter fishery is just too fickle for me to commit to the time, fuel and winter driving risk on the rare occasions that I DO have a free day.

Low_Sky, I'm in Eagle River as well.  If you'd ever like to split fuel costs and driving I'm game.  (That is when I can finagle a kitchen pass ;-)
"If your hands ain't bleeding, you ain't fishing hard enough!"

Klondike Kid

• Lingcod
  • The Eagle Whisperer
  • Alaska Outdoor Journal
I'm still alive too.

I've even been contemplating selling off my kayaks and saltwater gear, but I haven't reached a final decision yet. I bought into this stuff when I lived in Soldotna and was a Slope rotator. It just keeps getting harder and harder to get on the water. 

Oh no....move back to Soldotna and become a sloper again!! Can't imagine why you moved away from Paradise!  ;)  I hope to be cleaning up my act and start getting involved in day trip outings. I'm not really a "driver"....my 2011 F-350 only has 29K on it and its the only rig I drive. So I have to teach this dog new tricks and force myself into more road trips. And quit thinking I need to overnight. Geez, its only 65 to Whiskey and 80 to Homer. My Kodiak adventure gave me the confidence to deal with long range kayak trips on the salt. I was going up to six miles from camp. My only shortfall is the Cook Inlet tides I need to master as a yellow drifter out there. So I'm looking forward to this spring's get togethers down there to gain some savvy on how to master the tidal flow and not end up in Seldovia.

Don't sell those yaks. Whittier is not that far from you and its always a place the KP guys can travel to also. I'm hoping to try shrimping over there this spring. I may even try welding up a couple of kayak size pots to try out.  Season opens April 15th as I recall. Good time to load up on baby pollack for halibut and pike bait using sabiki rigs and might as well hit 20 Mile while in the vicinity and gather up a cooler of Hoolies for more bait for pike and lakers and grind them up for shrimp bait.

Hang in there!  Don't bail on us. Ha

Lawngjohn

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Jan 2016
I'm around! Work and other things have been keeping me tied down. I'm definitely going to be hitting it hard this year though! Glad to hear from everybody on here. It's been a while sense I've got on. Getting that itch to get back in the water again. Planning on doing some taxi trips and camping this year. If anyone wants to get in on a multi day trip out of kachemak this summer let me know.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Klondike Kid

• Lingcod
  • The Eagle Whisperer
  • Alaska Outdoor Journal
I'm around! Work and other things have been keeping me tied down. I'm definitely going to be hitting it hard this year though! Glad to hear from everybody on here. It's been a while sense I've got on. Getting that itch to get back in the water again. Planning on doing some taxi trips and camping this year. If anyone wants to get in on a multi day trip out of kachemak this summer let me know.

The taxi trips caught my eye a few years ago, both for Res Bay and Kbay. Both offer some great possibilities at a very affordable price ($75-85RT). And the great thing about a taxi is you can bring the kitchen sink for your base camp and that is not doable when setting out from a launch spot to go camping with only what you can carry onboard. That means plenty of ice in the coolers to keep you catch in good shape as the most important thing for multi-day outings. I've looked over the borough GIS land owners database for property all over the Kbay area across from the Spit and there is plenty of Federal, State, and borough lands for camping on without stepping on anyone's toes who may own property there.

I think there are now shuttles to Bear Glacier for kayakers from Seward. That is a spectacular freshwater terminal glacier just yards behind the barrier beach with icebergs the size of houses to paddle around even just as a day trip. Lots of possibilities in both bays for sure.  I think Rudy did a Fox Island fishing trip a few years ago. Salmon, halibut, and rockfish are all in reach around that area with the right timing.

katinalaska

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Apr 2016
I’m alive, too! I’ve also had life get in the way of fishing this year. I’ve been watching the weather lately, and tomorrow looks good (as far as lack of wind goes) in Homer. I’m seriously considering getting my gear together and heading down in the morning. As far as water taxi and camping trips go, I’m all in Lawngjohn. I’m definitely hoping to spend more time on the yak this year.

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Fox Island in late May was an awesome trip even though I only caught a few rockfish.  I know better now.  May try again for kings!

https://goo.gl/photos/6bbpLjhSZLqcdz6F6

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

Martin

• Lingcod
  • AOTY: DAngler
  • Date Registered: Apr 2013
I'm still around!  I did not fish at all in 2017 because of school and work. Since my bachelor's degree is complete I hope 2018 will get me on the water at least a few times. Probably my last year here in AK, so I'll make the best of it.
2016 - Hobie Outback Limited Edition #189
2012 - Hobie Outback

easyyakker

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: May 2016
I'm still around. Haven't been fishing for a while. I'm kind of a wimp, so I probably won't fish till closer to spring. Spent a week in Mexico right after Christmas. I would have loved to have had my PA for the few windless days I was there. Rented a little kayak on the beach on paddled around for an hour or so. Saw a couple Rooster fish and some others. I'm making plans to build a summer/retirement house on my property down near Whiskey Gulch. That will give me a nice jump off spot for summer fishing in the inlet and Homer. I'm really hoping to do a lot more fishing in 2018. (On the other hand, I'm also hoping to get into kiteboarding...I took lessons in Mexico and the Spit offers good opportunities during the summer.)

akfishergal

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2011
And I’m still around too — though fishing less while working more. Fished mostly out of Seward last season. Still love this sport!

jmbx2ditto

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015
Out once once last spring. Fixing the house so 2018 looks to be the same until after August.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

anything