Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:44:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: first GigBob steelhead fishing  (Read 2566 times)

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
notice I didn't say "catching".  The water had been dropping for a week, nobody I talked to was hooking any fish, our STEP trap (just up from this stretch of river) had 40 in it the day before this, 3 days before that it had 105 and 4 days before that 146.

I made this video because I happened to capture a couple of things people asked about.  Early on, I pulled hard on the oars just goofing off through a mine field of boulders, while pulling a plug.  You can see a little flex at the oar locks but not much, I don't notice it while on the water.  I do notice when I hit an oar on a rock or the bottom but who doesn't?  Spring loaded locks work great.

Later I anchored in the middle of the river and cast bobbers to work productive deep slots near the bank, the GigBob moves back and forth just a little in the moving water, not enough to be an issue.  It was really easy to mend the line effectively from a kneeling position and I was using just an 8' rod.  In the final still shot at the end of the video, I am anchored in swifter water, it was still easy to fish while kneeling.  In fact, I had turned the GoPro towards the slot I was working, it is a really productive spot and I was so hoping for a bobber down with the GoPro running.

Next video will be a 'catching' one.   cheers, roger

2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
You can see a bit of that hull-flexing in the first test-drive video, roger.  It's a bit more obvious in this video but it doesn't look like something you can't "fix" if it bothers you.

The right side rigging around the oarlocks is different - it looks longer, laterally.  You might try mounting the GoPro over on that side to see if there's flex around that oar.

I'm still impressed by how maneuverable the GigBob is compared to a solid-hull driftboat.  It's an interesting craft for sure.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
You can see a bit of that hull-flexing in the first test-drive video, roger.  It's a bit more obvious in this video but it doesn't look like something you can't "fix" if it bothers you.

The right side rigging around the oarlocks is different - it looks longer, laterally.  You might try mounting the GoPro over on that side to see if there's flex around that oar.

I'm still impressed by how maneuverable the GigBob is compared to a solid-hull driftboat.  It's an interesting craft for sure.

the slight flexing of the boat is actually one of the things I like the most, maybe because of all the hours I have doing fun things on my i11s over the last 2 years.  it feels natural, almost like a big extension of my body. 

Unlike a rigid craft that that feels more like armor and stiffly fights against the power of the water, these drop stitch TinyBoat inflatables absorb some energy by flexing and provide real-time feedback to my legs, arms, and buttocks...but they also have surfaces rigid enough to kneel and stand on easily.  It is amazing and messed up at the same time, as a Materials Scientist, I absolutely love it.

I have already alerted my wife that come summer, when it warms up, I am probably going to thrash some real rapids in the GigBob, see what it can do in conditions that I don't mind ending up in the water.  Also planning to take the GigBob out on the Siuslaw near the mouth and see what the heck if feels like in swells and tidal currents.  But that is in the future, next step is easy- land a steelhead fishing from it.

cheers, roger
2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

anything