Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:08:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Chasing a unicorn of a fish  (Read 2654 times)

surf12foot

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011
Was going to go to no go back to going to go! Which with the weather we're having down here(all 5 seasons in one day) Need to be a little flexible to get that hour or so fishing time in. Brother-in-law calls around 11ish wants to go fishing and didn't care where? I made the suggestion of the Coquille (already setup for there) and he leap at it in a heart beat. I'm pretty sure he was all ready on his way because 30 seconds later he was at my door. So got loaded up and did the 30 minute drive to the Coquille which seem like forever with a million and one questions coming from him(talk about somebody wanting to fish bad). Once there I was not impressed with the river, not high but a light milk chocolate with a pinch of cream mixed in. Now on the other hand my brother-in-law was like a puppy gone in full blown hyper play mood (I didn't know one could unload and rig a kayak for fishing so fast). Once on the water started our trek for some smallmouths, now instead of a million questions it was now only a thousand questions and by the way they was all good questions to. All a sudden I get what is that up ahead and look to see fish coming out of the water in sheer terror. All I could say was somebody was zoning in on lunch. My brother-in-law looks at me and goes what with this major puzzled look on his face or maybe it was the look of terror like the fish? Maybe I shouldn't have made the comment of needing a bigger boat then to. Once I explained about the unicorn of Oregon fishes he relaxed some what. Then he understood why I was using my 9/10wt.We started making casts up along the bank. Cast after cast nothing but it really didn't matter the sun was out and the brother-in-law was asking questions about this and that and lucky enough I had answers to most of them. We had separated in distance maybe about 50 yards or so when I notice his kayak was rocking trying to cast and looked like he was trying to pick the kayak up and carry it across the water at the same time while saying some really cool words that can't be repeated here. Got over to him and ask what was going on and he said those baitfish from earlier came up out of the water right at my kayak and something hit my kayak from the underside. I start to laugh while looking for any tell tale signs. There here is all he hears me say as I wonder off looking for the unseen monster. More casts and more casts still nothing and the weather is changing fast and not for the good unless your a snowman. Cold rain starts falling and I'm thinking we should think about wrapping it up before it becomes full blown winter rain storm, which the way the clouds where coming in would be real soon.  My brother-in-law makes one last cast to a group of piling and starts stripping the fly back when I notice a huge bulge of water instantly following slowly behind gaining momentum on his fly. Screaming out the top of his lungs "what should I do, Oh God". The bulge was closing ever as fast now but the bulge not a bulge but a dorsal spike fin now closing in and as suddenly as it showed is now gone as if it had never been there except for a small disappearing wake. Then the rain hit and the type of rain that looks like its raining up not down from raining so hard and cold. Made it back to the truck tired, wet and cold and one brother-in-law exhausted but excited. Got a few more question about that fish and the one question that I new was coming was how big do you think it was. My response was 40lbs. maybe bigger. My brother-in-law now knows why my obsession with this mystic unicorn of Oregon fishes run deep! 
Scott

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I'd have paid 50-cents to see that show!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 04:46:00 AM by Tinker »
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

WestFork

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Apr 2017
Being there in person couldn't possibly have been as good as what I saw in my mind reading this talented telling. Made my day!  :-)

kayakmannb

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Nov 2016
That was a good fish story! 

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013

anything