Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:21:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:40:17 PM]

[Today at 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[Today at 01:45:57 PM]

by PNW
[Today at 11:35:40 AM]

[Today at 10:02:38 AM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Ocean Salmon Treble Hooks?  (Read 2254 times)

YippieKaiyak

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
I'm sure this has been asked and answered but I didn't see anything on the search.  Here's my question and the references from the manual: Can you use a treble hook legally in the ocean for salmon?
I'm asking because I'm making up some rigs and when I checked the regs I got confused.  I suppose I could call ODFW directly but in case anyone already has...

-According to the regs, treble hooks are considered one hook.  I think that's fairly common knowledge.
"A double or treble point hook is classified as one hook."

-Here's where I get confused about the hooks for ocean salmon.
"Ocean salmon — no more than two single point barbless hooks when angling for salmon in the ocean, or when angling for other ocean species with salmon or steelhead onboard."

-As opposed to halibut where it doesn't specify single point or sturgeon where it again does.
"Pacific halibut — no more than two hooks may be used.
Sturgeon — no more than one single point barbless hook may be used."

Quoted stuff all from the eReg: http://www.eregulations.com/oregon/fishing/general-statewide-regulations/
Kayaking without wearing a PFD is like drunk driving.  You can get away with it for a while, but eventually someone dies.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Single point barbless hooks is my understanding.  I'm not seeing the confusion here because a treble is a "single hook" not a "single point hook".  Anyone heard anything different?
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
Yup.  Single point barbless means no double or treble.  So, two single point barbless is basically the standard mooching rig. 

YippieKaiyak

• Lingcod
Thanks, that's what I was thinking.  I've got brad's cut plug thing that came with both types of hooks.  Trebles are river only?
Kayaking without wearing a PFD is like drunk driving.  You can get away with it for a while, but eventually someone dies.

craig

• Sturgeon
Yes. River and BAYS only.  Personally, I never use trebles (except for bass).   I do not trust barbless trebles and barbed ones are too hard to get out of a wild salmon's mouth if they have to be released. I rig all my stuff with barbed Gamakatsu Big River hooks. 
http://www.gamakatsu.com/fishing-hooks.php?pid=1022

They have a very brittle barb that snaps off when pinched.  Conveniently, they leave a rough, but legal, bump/surface which helps keep them from popping out of a fish's mouth. They are still easy to get out of a wild fish's mouth. I have lost very few salmon over the three years I have been using them (basically since the barbless Columbia rules took effect whenever that was).  They are easy to get out of wild fish.

YippieKaiyak

• Lingcod
Awesome, thank you.  Would running a mooching rig through the cut plug like one would normally do with a herring make sense?  Rear hook dangling, the first one pinned up front?  Gotta look at it when I get home to see what I'm talking about but as I recall the line fed through the lure.

craig

• Sturgeon
Awesome, thank you.  Would running a mooching rig through the cut plug like one would normally do with a herring make sense?  Rear hook dangling, the first one pinned up front?  Gotta look at it when I get home to see what I'm talking about but as I recall the line fed through the lure.

I do not have one up front for the ocean since it is two hooks only.  I have one right at the tail (small beads keep it from sliding up to where the line feeds out) and one about 3 inches back from that. 

nomas

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
I love those cut plugs and have mostly forgotten about herring because of them.

I rig a 4/0 octopus with the egg loop threaded through the surgical tube (that keeps it pinned and pointing the direction I want) then a 2/0 octopus trailing hook 1 inch back.

RoxnDox

• Salmon
  • Native Propel
  • Date Registered: Sep 2013
Noob question - "cut plugs" are used by stuffing the cavity full of something that smells baitlike, then you rig them as if you had a real cut herring, correct?  Advantage being that you can avoid buying and dealing with herring for bait.

Jim
Junk Jigs "BEST USE OF ACTUAL JUNK" category - "That tape should have been a prized possession and not junk. That will be a collectors item in 30 years!” & “There sure is a lot of junk in there.”

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
Brad's cut plugs are plastic bait that imitate cut plug herring.  Brad's cut plugs have a cavity in which you can add bait or scent. 

Brads also makes a few different kinds as well as sizes. They can be killer on Kokanee to Chinook.
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

YippieKaiyak

• Lingcod
Thanks, ya'll.  Pinning the hook to the rubber band and trailing a smaller hook makes more sense than trying to get one pinned at the head and back.  I was just thinking of where I put hooks on herring and trying to replicate it.

RoxnDox

• Salmon
  • Native Propel
Yeah, I went over and looked at their website.  More things I can try out :)  Any particular 'fillings' that stand out?  Stuff it with chunks of fish guts, douse it in herring oil, ??
Junk Jigs "BEST USE OF ACTUAL JUNK" category - "That tape should have been a prized possession and not junk. That will be a collectors item in 30 years!” & “There sure is a lot of junk in there.”

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
Yeah, I went over and looked at their website.  More things I can try out :)  Any particular 'fillings' that stand out?  Stuff it with chunks of fish guts, douse it in herring oil, ??

Tuna is the most popular.  I use canned tuna as a base and add scent.  You will need to replace the tuna evry 25-30 minutes as it will leak through the holes.  Even with it empty fish will hit it though.

2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

RoxnDox

• Salmon
  • Native Propel
Thanks - I will have to give it a try...

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Pro-Cure bloody tuna gel works wonders  :banjo:

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”