Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:30:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:21:38 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by PNW
[April 18, 2024, 11:35:40 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:02:38 AM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: The Green Can Thread  (Read 5871 times)

workhard

• Salmon
  • Get off your computer and fish
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015

From what I've done and seen this week the run will be bonkers, and will stay that way next few weeks. Put down the keyboard, dust off that fishing gear, strap into the PFD and go fish one of the more kayak friendly places in the Sound.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 09:25:24 AM by workhard »

Trident 13

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
You the can man for sure, lol.  Nice fish, gets interesting when they get behind you.  Here's hoping...

BugNerd

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Jul 2018
Nice! I need to try the jigging technique.  What do you use?

Jasonator

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
I might be out there tue morning.

workhard

• Salmon
Nice! I need to try the jigging technique.  What do you use?

I use a Pt Wilson Dart. There are multiple threads on the green can with information I've started on here.
Edit: Salmon University has a good article on it http://salmonuniversity.com/regions/washington/puget-sound-south#Nisqually.

@Jasonator fish the exchanges, dont bother fishing in the current.

Launch at Luhr's Landing. You can kind of see how it's doing on WDFW's Puget Sound creel reports: https://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/creel/puget/. WDFW doesn't do 'intensive sampling' in area 13 like it does in 11, 10, 9, 6, or 5 so when it shows up there it's usually random and the sampling is not for the whole day like Edmonds, Pt Defiance, Shilshole and some others.

Edit: Apparently I deleted a bunch of information when someone on here wanted to argue with me over pulling native fish out of the water to take a picture with it - don't ever, ever do it, it's awful for the fish and illegal anyways. I'm someone who frequently is put in a position to defend and fight for sport fisheries in the Sound, please make my life easier.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 09:44:19 PM by workhard »

BugNerd

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Jul 2018
I use a Pt Wilson Dart. There are multiple threads on the green can with information I've started on here.

Thanks.  Didn't know what the green can referred to.

JasonM

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jun 2017
Thanks for all the great information so far, Workhard!  :headbang:

The lack of saltwater fishing lately is killing me. It's great to read about and see pictures/videos, but I'm itching to get back out and actually do it myself. I'm considering taking the day off Friday and hitting the green can if the weather cooperates. If it does, the high tide is at 11:23 AM and the low is at 5:05 PM. Do they hit on the transition at high tide like they do at low tide? if I launch from Luhr's landing, would I be fighting two miles of current both direction if I try to hit the high slack before/after? If I wait until the low, is it going to get crowded with Friday afternoon powerboats so that I'll wish I had just fought the current?

workhard

• Salmon
Thanks for all the great information so far, Workhard!  :headbang:

The lack of saltwater fishing lately is killing me. It's great to read about and see pictures/videos, but I'm itching to get back out and actually do it myself. I'm considering taking the day off Friday and hitting the green can if the weather cooperates. If it does, the high tide is at 11:23 AM and the low is at 5:05 PM. Do they hit on the transition at high tide like they do at low tide? if I launch from Luhr's landing, would I be fighting two miles of current both direction if I try to hit the high slack before/after? If I wait until the low, is it going to get crowded with Friday afternoon powerboats so that I'll wish I had just fought the current?

They bite on both exchanges, the low is better though. About the current: you can paddle over the flats which have less current. It's nothing for me, just kicks me down about 1kt moving, but I'm someone who often fishes 18ft exchanges and fish spots (when there's enough fish to warrant it) which will kick up to around 3knts. Disheartening when you're cranking up a drift and the GPS reads .5knts, but that's why my handle is what it is. From what I saw the word will get out and there will be boats, they'll be slow and drifting with you. That's fishing for Chinook in the Sound though, all good Chinook spots were documented 100 years ago and are extremely well known. I just go right in there with them, if you know what you're doing on a kayak and know how to fish a jig you'll outfish them anyways - especially in wind. The kayak is the better tool for the job.

Fish hard.

JasonM

• Lingcod
It's starting to look more positive for me to be able to take Friday off and head out there. Anyone else up for Friday? Low tide is at 5:05 pm or so, and I'm thinking that since it's my first time there I'd like to try to be on the water at Luhr's Landing by around 2:00 pm to give me extra time to learn the place (and find the green can) and scout depths with the fish finder. The estimate of 2 miles from Luhr's Landing to the green can makes me think that it will be around 40 minutes of a 3mph pedal/paddle, and I might drag a Brad's cut plug behind me as I go and troll it a little slower than that. No sense wasting all that time pedaling both directions with no line in the water. :D

I could probably be convinced to get out there early enough to hit high tide if anyone else from NWKA is going out then. I wouldn't mind making a whole day of it, fishing both high and low with late lunch/BS'ing in between. I'd gladly buy/bring food/beverage for anyone who has experience to share, but be warned I might have lots of questions.  8)

Trident 13

• Salmon
JasonM:  Friday (as are all days lately) is tough for me, but I posted this under the Seattle Roll Call:

I'm hoping to make a run to the Green Can Saturday and arrive maybe 10-10:30 ish.  (would have to be leaving the launch for home by 2 PM), and with luck Sunday and catch the noonish tide flows.  It's possible I could try a Saturday low, but it's early, short and I'm old and tired.  WorkHard has posted some great info on it and it's a good place to get into the salt for a short run.  No downrigger adventures this time, just hard jig fishing for me.
First picture might help you get there, second shows the delta layout, the can is a fixed buoy (wait for it) that is colored green. I have not tried before for cut throat, but might toss out a small spoon as I move across.  I expect to pick up seaweed, etc.  I wouldn't waist much time getting there, there's about 3 poles out there and it drops right outside of them.  Good luck. 

JasonM

• Lingcod
After having read all that I can find about this, my only remaining concern is actually finding the green can buoy. There are dozens of places that talk about it, but none of them clearly point it out on a map or say "From Luhr's Landing, head north until you get to deeper water and it will be x.x miles away to the left (west)" Is this because it's so easy to find that it doesn't need to be stated or am I just missing something?

The image from the Salmon University page linked above is the best one that I've seen. Is the green can buoy the little green shape at 10 o'clock from the mouth of the river? I initially thought it might be, but there's another shape like that north of Anderson Island, too, so I am now doubting that.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 11:18:16 AM by JasonM »

Trident 13

• Salmon
Gt the boat in and head straight to the mouth of the river +-2 miles.  It's a fixed (post) buoy with a green sign.  There's a couple of them out there and the drop starts just the other side.
One asked about dragging a herring or spoon across the flats, and while it might produce a non-keep-able cutthroat, but I don't think I'd bother and would go straight the the Green Buoy (can) poles.  If the current picks up and you want to head into the flats you can pick up flounder pretty and I've caught some larger starry flounder.  bring a drop line with a little smaller hook and a pack of wieners.  It pretty flat so I used a 1/2 banana weight with a 2 foot leader, found the bottom (10-15 ft only) and lifted just off the bottom and drifted.  If your bringing a jigging pole for salmon, a little trout rod and less weight makes it fun.  That way even if the current picks up you can head toward shore and come home with dinner.

The end measure in the picture is a bit past the buoy.  You could head out through the marked channel to deeper water and then turn right toward the can on an outgoing tide.  The red line is a guess on the end of the delta

« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 11:26:35 AM by Trident 13 »

workhard

• Salmon
One of the pillars has a green number one on top of it. You can see it from the launch on a clear day fairly easily. Itll be obvious.

6 fish sampled for 7 boats this morning, you'll see fish on the creel report tomorrow.

workhard

• Salmon

Encouragement for those trying to kill something tomorrow. First fish I've ever actually weighed sport fishing because I'm considering entering a derby tomorrow and go up against the power boats - 14.9lbs, the sampler measured it at 80.2CM fork length. Punchcard reads 10 kept since 8/11 although I cheated and caught a couple on a boat - all at the green can and deep south sound area. Fish was caught before work this morning.

Fish hard.

workhard

• Salmon