Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:38:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Surf Launch via Sand Lake?  (Read 1347 times)

Cosmo

• Salmon
  • Integrity-It's What You Do When No One's Looking
  • DADventurerNW
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
I was doing some surfing today on Google Earth, looking for new places to do a surf launch around Pacific City, to get out to some of the less fished reefs, easier than paddling a few miles up the beach.

I was looking at Sand Lake as a possible surf launch, but didn't know how much or little that little inlet is affected by the tide?  Anyone ever tried it?

Thanks.
Cosmo
2 Hobie Mirage Outbacks 2014

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
I was doing some surfing today on Google Earth, looking for new places to do a surf launch around Pacific City, to get out to some of the less fished reefs, easier than paddling a few miles up the beach.

I was looking at Sand Lake as a possible surf launch, but didn't know how much or little that little inlet is affected by the tide?  Anyone ever tried it?

Thanks.

The biggest issue I can see with the Sand Lake estuary entrance is that it can be very dangerous for a few reasons.  The water rushes pretty fast through the "S" curve channel when it goes in and out.  I've paddled up to within about 100 yards of the surf and was surprised at the current there.  The second issue is the sand along the edges of the channel is really really soft, like quicksand soft.   I was a bit spent paddling against the current and swung to the side to take a break.  I stepped out of the kayak with one foot and immediately sunk up to my knee, so I really quickly laid back on my kayak to keep from getting myself completely stuck.  Kinda scary really. 

Granted this was 8-9 years ago, so it may or may not be the same now as the channel moves around.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

uplandsandpiper

Its not safe. My wife and I tried kayak fishing Sand Lake a few years ago. The current is crazy strong and there is small bar at the outflow that leads to some gnarly surf. We dropped a crabpot in Sand Lake near the entrance and it got sucked out with 10 lbs of lead in it. Luckily the next day it showed up on the beach about 1/8th mile south.

Cosmo

• Salmon
  • Integrity-It's What You Do When No One's Looking
  • DADventurerNW
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
Thanks for the help. Scratch that one off the list.
Cosmo
2 Hobie Mirage Outbacks 2014

Casey

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
If you are willing to walk a couple miles with the kayak on wheels the south side of cape lookout can be a good place to launch. I’ve fished there many times over the past couple years. When there is a strong north wind and there is no other place to fish it’s worth the walk. All of my worst wipeouts have been there also though. Sometimes the surf is none existent, and other times it’s pretty hairy. It’s tough to turn back after the long walk. Fishing there is a lot of fun! It is bath water flat along the south side of that giant cape.

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
If you are willing to walk a couple miles with the kayak on wheels the south side of cape lookout can be a good place to launch. I’ve fished there many times over the past couple years. When there is a strong north wind and there is no other place to fish it’s worth the walk. All of my worst wipeouts have been there also though. Sometimes the surf is none existent, and other times it’s pretty hairy. It’s tough to turn back after the long walk. Fishing there is a lot of fun! It is bath water flat along the south side of that giant cape.

+1

If you get your OHV sticker on your 4x4, and run a flag, you can drive from Sandlake OHV area down to the beach, then go north 2 miles to the sign that say "No Motorized Vehicles Beyond This Point".  You can take a risk and leave your rig within view of all the ATV's running up and down the beach, or sneak past the sign near the waterline (to hide your tracks) and go another half mile and park way up in the dune as you can.  I've done this without issue.  I did put my PC Launch sign in the window so if LEO decided to wander that far north, he will know how to contact me. 

From there, you have to walk your kayak further north 1.5 to 2 more miles depending on where you decided to park.

You can't go on the dunes before 6am unless you are finding a camp spot.
You must have a flag.
You must pay the $5 Day use fee.
You must have a current OHV use sticker on your rear bumper/window.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 07:37:53 PM by INSAYN »

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

onefish

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Oct 2011
Or try driving into the boy scout camp.  Generally there’s no one to stop you and I don’t think they care that much if you just drop off. One guy stays w the yaks on the beach and the other parks at the trail head lot and hikes back down the switchback.   Repeat after.  Surfers have been trying to get the camp wired for years, just not when it’s flat.  But honestly just fish PC early and paddle north along mcphilips beach and then north west and you’re fairly protected and fishing a great reef
“Out of the water I am nothing” Duke Kahanamoku

YippieKaiyak

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
I was there a few days ago trying for perch from the beach.  Going from the "lake" out is a bad idea.  The current rips through there like crazy.  However, as has been pointed out, if you have OHV stuff you can get pretty close to the cape.  I checked with the boy scouts and pulled my eagle scout card and got swatted away like a pesky fly.  I personally wouldn't worry too much about parking in sight of the ATV crew.  People with that much money tied up in trucks and OHV's likely respect each other's vehicles, at least I would.  The beach itself is pretty flat so even if you walked from the fisherman day use area to the beach and launched you'd have to get out a fair way before it settled.  I'd been advised that was a bad idea and didn't bring my kayak that day, hence the beach fishing.

What you really need is a good sales pitch and twenty bucks for an OHV to tow you on your wheelez :)
Kayaking without wearing a PFD is like drunk driving.  You can get away with it for a while, but eventually someone dies.

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
Yeah I tried getting permission through the scout camp, but was cock blocked pretty quick.  They don't want the "insurance issue" letting random strangers on the property.  Not worth it to me to forge through their property without permision.

anything