Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:34:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: 2011 16ft Hobie Adventure  (Read 1819 times)

kallitype

• Sturgeon
  • Vashon Island kayaker
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 09:56:24 AM by kallitype »
Never underestimate the ability of our policymakers to fail to devise and implement intelligent policy

DWB123

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2013
Is the 13 actually more stable than the 16? I've got both, can't notice a difference, but I may just be oblivious.

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
Is the 13 actually more stable than the 16? I've got both, can't notice a difference, but I may just be oblivious.

I did not like the Adventure on the lower Columbia.  It was long enough that both the front and back would be lifted at the same time by two different wind wave sets. It felt very squirrelly when that happened.  Of course at the time I owned it, we went fishing during some stupid conditions with questions like, "I wonder why there are no boats out here" being raised just before we would launch.  Eventually we figured out the answer.  I too prefer the Revo.

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008

I have both as well, and although I do really like fishing from the Addy in the ocean, it can feel less stable than the Revo in sloppy conditions for sure. 
The upside is that the Addy is way more forgiving than the Revo when I do feel like I am heading over the side. 

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
INSAYN---are you saying the Adventure has more secondary stability than the Revolution??? The Revo definitely (IMHO) has more primary stability, its stern is much fuller.

Absolutely! 

I tested my tipping points on a warm lake on the same day with both my Revo and Addy.

The Revo allowed me to lean about as far as I could with my T13 before I went swimming (if anyone has experience with a T13). 
I was able to lean far enough over that the waterline was an inch below the rear molded in rod holders, more or less keeping them high and dry.  Any further than that point I wasn't able to recover.

The Addy on the other hand I was able to comfortably lean far enough over to the point where the waterline easily flowed in and out of the rear molded rod holders, and even over the side into the tank well. 

I had an experience once at Depoe Bay where I was fishing along the south wall just north of the point by Whale Cove in my Addy.  We had a short series of taller swells with close periods come through at one point in the day that caught me off guard.  I was parked broadside to the swells facing north and not looking offshore while dealing with a basic line tangle at my reel with my rod pointed off my starboard side.  When the first swell hit me I got tipped pretty good towards that side and was startled to say the least.  I usually fish with my feet hanging over either side, and when it hit me I reacted as if I was on a bicycle and put my right foot down hard in the water like I was trying to keep myself from hitting pavement on that side.  This obviously had no effect, so I immediately leaned hard to the port side and recovered before going over.  Pretty sure my starboard side took water over the entire side before I righted myself in that panic move. 

Not sure that the Revo would have tipped that far in that scenario but if it did, I would have been a swimmer for sure.

In a nut shell, I think you are on the right track to consider going back to the Revo at your age due to it's better primary stability paired with personal reaction time.  It is less tippy to me than the Addy for sure, and I've never felt it was going anywhere near the secondary even in rough conditions.  The Addy does have a better secondary, but it's a skinny hull and expected, but you can get damn close to this secondary pretty easily.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

anything