Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:28:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Strip or Troll for chum  (Read 2634 times)

Rockbottom

• Perch
  • Date Registered: May 2018
I'm trying out my luck for chum this year on the salt.  Last weekend no-one was catching anything ...including me...so I'm still just as ignorant as before.  Is it better to do a slow strip or a slow troll?  I was using a floating line in about eight to four feet of water with a chartreuse krill type fly (recommended by a local fly shop).
Thanks for any help.  I'd like to give it a try again next weekend.

surf12foot

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011
I would go with a very,very slow strip. If you get into the fish, look for the wakes from the schools and cast your fly far enough ahead of the schools of fish so that the sinking fly will be just above or at eye level when intercepted by the school and hang on for all hell to break loose.
Scott

Rockbottom

• Perch
Thanks for info....I'll give it a try.  Do you think it'd be a good idea to bring a rod with an intermediate line on it as well for blind casting?  It's on a six weight single hand.  I could bring a seven weight switch rod with a long sinking tip leader on it but I'm concerned I won't be able to net the fish as it's 11ft long.
BTW...I enjoy Tinker and your stories.

surf12foot

• Lingcod
I would stick with the floating line. The 6wt. is really pretty light for these fish. If you do need to go deeper go with a longer leader(that should cover almost everything) and if your are going to be in the deeper estuary maybe go with the switch rod. Don't worry about the length as long as you got a long handle net. My saltwater rod is 11ft. 9-10 wt. and had no problem lipping black rock fish or using lip grips on lings from my kayak as Tinker can testify. Come to think about it the only fish that I use a net on is salmon.
Scott

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Scott tells me this often: you can get away using a lighter rod in a kayak (because the kayak will get towed by a big fish) as long as the leader is strong enough to take the strain.

My concern about the 6wt would be controlling the fish if it got twitchy as you reached down to pull it out of the water: you might hear a loud snapping sound.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

Rockbottom

• Perch
Okay......still perfect in my attempts to hook up a chum.  Frustrating as hell!  They're jumping all over.  One almost jumped into my kayak.  I didn't see any 'schools' but they're all holding in a large estuary before they enter a creek.  Some of the guys using gear were having luck, but I didn't see any fly guys landing any.  I was able to pretty much blind cast anywhere and be in front of or on top of a fish...yet not one take.  I tried a slow strip, a really slow strip, a quick strip, an erratic strip, different colored flies, trolling....all to no avail.  Was using a 7wt with a floating line with about 9 ft of leader.  (12 wt fluorocarbon tippet).
On the plus side...since most of the fishing was in only 3 feet of water, I was able to practice standing on my Hobie Compass with good success, although I might have to use some kind of collapsible stripping basket next time.
Good to see several other kayak fisherman out there.
I'll try again Sunday morning before the Seahawk game.

Any hints are welcome!

surf12foot

• Lingcod
Biggest hint one can give you is don't give up the two of you will connect, it's just a matter of time. I'm going on 17 days with no love from the Mr. chinook and yet I still keep at it.
Scott

Rockbottom

• Perch
One thing I can do....I can make up for skill with time on the water...
Thanks for encouragement.
I'm going to try a really gaudy green and purple steelhead fly just to see if I can piss them off if my standard chum flies don't get results.