Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:46:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Chinook salmon fishing restrictions for NW Oregon Rivers  (Read 1625 times)

Clayman

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
New regulations coming in to help the paltry fall Chinook runs along the northern and central Oregon coast.  Yep...it's that bad  :'(.

NW COASTAL RIVERS

Effective November 1 through December 31, the daily bag limit for adult Chinook in all coastal rivers and bays in the NW Zone is one.  Seasonal maximum bag limits remain in effect, including the North Coast Wild Chinook Aggregate Bag Limit described on page 27 of the 2018 Oregon Sport Fishing Regulations, but no more than 3 adult Chinook may be retained during the period from November 1 through December 31.

NECANICUM RIVER.  Closed to angling for Chinook upstream of the 12th Avenue Bridge in Seaside.

NEHALEM RIVER, mainstem and bay.  Closed to angling for Chinook upstream of confluence with North Fork Nehalem.

NEHALEM RIVER, North Fork.  Closed to angling for Chinook upstream of confluence with mainstem Nehalem.

MIAMI RIVER.  Closed to angling for Chinook upstream of Highway 101 Bridge.

KILCHIS RIVER.  Closed to angling for Chinook upstream of Highway 101 Bridge.

WILSON RIVER.  Closed to angling for Chinook upstream of a yellow ODFW sign posted near Makinster Road at River Mile 1.1 (in tidewater).

TRASK RIVER.  Closed to angling for Chinook upstream of the Highway 131 Bridge.

TILLAMOOK RIVER.  Closed to angling for Chinook upstream from a yellow ODFW sign posted 100 ft upstream of the tidewater disabled angler platform.

NESTUCCA RIVER.  Closed to angling for Chinook upstream of Woods Bridge.

LITTLE NESTUCCA RIVER.  Closed to angling for Chinook upstream of Highway 101 Bridge.

SALMON RIVER.  Closed to angling upstream of a marker 200 ft. below hatchery weir.

SILETZ RIVER.  Closed to angling for Chinook upstream of Strome County Park Boat Ramp at River Mile 16.3.

DRIFT CREEK (Siletz).  Closed to angling for Chinook.

SCHOONER CREEK.  Closed to angling for Chinook.

YAQUINA RIVER.  Closed to angling for Chinook upstream of Cannon Quarry Boat Ramp.

ALSEA RIVER.  Closed to angling for Chinook upstream of Highway 34 Bridge below Taylors Landing.

DRIFT CREEK (Alsea).  Closed to angling for Chinook.

SIUSLAW RIVER.  Closed to angling for Chinook upstream of Tiernan Boat Ramp.

LAKE CREEK (Siuslaw).  Closed to angling for Chinook and all salmon fishing.

https://myodfw.com/recreation-report/fishing-report/northwest-zone
aMayesing Bros.

C_Run

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011
Crap! I've been refraining from fishing until it rains. This totally messes up my plans. oh, well....

Clayman

• Salmon
I think it's a wise move by ODFW.  As this season wore on, it was becoming obvious that there just plain weren't many fish coming back.  When even the guide boats are scratching out one Chinook a day, then you know it's bad.  I put in some effort this season and only landed two fall Chinook, one from the Alsea (harvested) and one from the Siletz (released).  At least the ocean fishery was pretty good this summer.
aMayesing Bros.

C_Run

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011
I wonder if there will be closures on the south coast as well. Seems like there should be if it's that bad.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I wonder if there will be closures on the south coast as well. Seems like there should be if it's that bad.

Dunno.  2017 was a bad year down here.  The local rivers don't have a coho run but there were almost as many coho in the hatchery traps as there were chinook last season.  We had a stronger return in 2013 than had been expected, so maybe 2018 will be a decent year.

Earlier this year, didn't ODFW and the PFC say they expected a large run?  I'm sure I read that somewhere.  I wonder what's changed.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

Clayman

• Salmon
Seems like the runs are better this year the further south you go.  Rogue and Klamath are seeing solid returns.  I'd imagine the Chetco will fish well too, considering the good action in the bubble fishery earlier this month.  If I were dead-set on nabbing some Chinook this fall, I'd head to the Chetco.
aMayesing Bros.

nomas

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
Wow. I’d say it’s a good thing I floated the Wilson today, but I came home empty handed. Here’s hoping for a winter steelie return.

Cosmo

• Salmon
  • Integrity-It's What You Do When No One's Looking
  • DADventurerNW
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
This is really going to put a damper on fishing some of my favorite rivers.

Looking at the Trask River, Where is the HWY 131 Bridge?  I've never heard of it.   Could it be at typo for the 101 Bridge.

On the Wilson, I see Makinster Road, but not sure where the sign is?  Assuming it's below Sollie Smith?

I can only imagine the tickets OFDW is going to write for those who haven't seen the updates.

Thank you for posting the update here.  I would be one of those holding a ticket for fishing out of bounds!
Cosmo
2 Hobie Mirage Outbacks 2014

Clayman

• Salmon
I spoke with the ODFW district fish biologist for the mid-coast region yesterday about some "holes" in their emergency regulations, notably how some Chinook streams were left open while others were being closed.  He said it was an oversight, and they were coming out with a new press release with clarified regulations today.  Here it is:

Effective November 1 through December 31, the daily bag limit for adult Chinook in all coastal rivers and bays in the NW Zone is one.  Seasonal maximum bag limits remain in effect, including the North Coast Wild Chinook Aggregate Bag Limit described on page 27 of the 2018 Oregon Sport Fishing Regulations, but no more than 3 adult Chinook may be retained during the period from November 1 through December 31.

Effective Nov. 1, 2018, angling for Chinook is prohibited upstream of the following boundaries:
•NECANICUM RIVER - 12th Avenue Bridge in Seaside.
•NEHALEM RIVER, mainstem and bay - Confluence with North Fork Nehalem.
•NEHALEM RIVER, NORTH FORK - Confluence with mainstem Nehalem.
•MIAMI RIVER AND KILCHIS RIVER - Highway 101 Bridge.
•WILSON RIVER - Yellow ODFW sign posted near Makinster Road at River Mile 1.1 (in tidewater).
•TRASK RIVER - Highway 131 Bridge.
•TILLAMOOK RIVER - Yellow ODFW sign posted 100 ft upstream of the tidewater disabled angler platform.
•NESTUCCA RIVER - Mainstem upstream of Woods Bridge
•THREE RIVERS - Closed from mouth upstream.
•LITTLE NESTUCCA RIVER -  Highway 101 Bridge.
•SALMON RIVER - Marker 200 ft. below hatchery weir.
•SILETZ RIVER - Strome County Park Boat Ramp at river mile 16.3.
•DRIFT CREEK (Siletz) AND SCHOONER CREEK - Closed from mouth upstream.
•YAQUINA RIVER - Mainstem and tributaries upstream of Cannon Quarry Boat Ramp.
•ALSEA RIVER - Highway 34 Bridge below Taylors Landing.
•DRIFT CREEK (Alsea) - Closed from mouth upstream.
•YACHATS RIVER - Closed to angling for Chinook.
•SIUSLAW RIVER - Tiernan Boat Ramp.
•NORTH FORK SIUSLAW RIVER - Closed to angling for Chinook upstream of the Highway 126 Bridge
•LAKE CREEK (Siuslaw) - Closed from mouth upstream. 

The previous emergency regulations omitted Three Rivers, Yachats River, and North Fork Siuslaw River.  The new regulations now include those three systems.  IMO, it may be best if everyone just left the remaining Chinook alone to spawn this year.  We're gonna need every hen we can get to reach the spawning grounds.
aMayesing Bros.

Lutefisk

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
Ah bummer, I didnt see Yachats on the first list and thought that maybe I could add one more chinook to my 2018 tag. But I applaud the ODFW for making difficult decisions and taking action to not really "improve" the fishery but at-least maintain and protect future return numbers.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
They've added some restrictions on Chinook in the Chetco River.  I'm hearing there are more closures and restrictions to come in the SW zone, but no guess what they may be.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

crash

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
They've added some restrictions on Chinook in the Chetco River.  I'm hearing there are more closures and restrictions to come in the SW zone, but no guess what they may be.

They extended the gear restrictions on the Chetco. Fly fishing with strike indicators or bobbers only from river mile 2.2 to Nook creek. They usually only apply until beginning of November but they are extended through the end of the year. There’s some big fish in the estuary right now.