Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:29:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: 2019 Outback 'roll and recovery' practice  (Read 4092 times)

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
I love really getting to know a new boat and when the plan is to go swimming, you can really push the envelope.
(couple of details:  I'm 6' even and 185#, Kokotat GoreTex Supernova Angler suit and Leviathan PFD.  Nothing in the front hold, normal rod holders installed, 56F water, 52F air, 6mph wind).

Besides just having fun on a brand new Hobie, my goal in an emergency situation (mine or someone else's) is to be able to repeat (with confidence) something I have already done in a controlled situation.

The new Outback is amazing- this boat fights to stay upright.  period.

the key to re-entry is the rear deck, which is what I was hoping since I plan to keep that area clear and also use it for canine recovery.

My best up-righting process is: "climb over the top from the side the paddle is on, grab the unused paddle bungie on the other side, pull the boat over towards you".  (the Guardian Transducer mount works as a hand hold and makes it easy to get over the top).

here is the video, it includes what didn't work and what did.  cheers, roger

« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 06:51:17 PM by rogerdodger »
2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
Nice job, flipper!  Seems like if the situation was rough enough that you ended up overboard, that it would be quite challenging to stand upright and step over the chair to get back into the seat.  On flat water, the boat appeared stable and you have good balance/agility to step over.  Having a clear rear deck is necessary!  I'll have to work out the details for what works for me and my boat, but I really like the apparent stability of the new Outback.

What's with all the zip ties around your paddle bungee in the final frame of the video? 
Does the new Outback seem heavy?  Compared to your other boats, is it harder to flip upright?
Also, I didn't know that hobie put a grab handle at the base of the seat - now that's a good improvement (among many). 

Thanks, Roger.

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
Nice job, flipper!  Seems like if the situation was rough enough that you ended up overboard, that it would be quite challenging to stand upright and step over the chair to get back into the seat.  On flat water, the boat appeared stable and you have good balance/agility to step over.  Having a clear rear deck is necessary!  I'll have to work out the details for what works for me and my boat, but I really like the apparent stability of the new Outback.

What's with all the zip ties around your paddle bungee in the final frame of the video? 
Does the new Outback seem heavy?  Compared to your other boats, is it harder to flip upright?
Also, I didn't know that hobie put a grab handle at the base of the seat - now that's a good improvement (among many). 

Thanks, Roger.

Barb-

exactly, I assume that if I can basically 'walk up the boat' and over the seat in mild/light chop conditions, then certainly under rougher or ocean swell conditions, I could very easily do that same thing by staying low and using my arms to crawl back into the drivers seat...there is so much room up front for gear and tackle, keeping the rear deck clear of gear is so easy (fish on stringers will lay back there when I am solo).  In fact, the wide gear track/storage things on the side of the 'cockpit' are what made climbing back up there difficult.  On my Oasis, I just grabbed on and threw my leg over the front gunwall and I was laying mid-boat. 

the Oasis I could lift up and roll away from me, but it was narrower and taller, more of a 'log' shape.  I could not do that with this boat, too wide  and flat.  but it was so easy to just grab the transducer thing, pull myself up (even with big Leviathan PDF on) and reach across to find paddle (first time) or the loose paddle bungie (second time, better).  even with the transducer deployed, that thing is spring loaded and you just push in with your hand and pull yourself up.

I love the re-usable zip ties, all sorts of uses for them when crabbing or whatever, I keep some secured in easy to access places on all my boats.

Outback is about 15# lighter than the Oasis was and that really is nice.  Not easy to flip over in the first place, what it told me was to always fight hard to keep it upright and it will fight with you.  But if it ends up getting flipped, over the top, grab the bungie, slide back and pull it over towards you, smooth and easy.  Grab handles are under each side of the seat plus the gear tracks things, up front and in the rear, have places at each end that are easy to grab when moving the boat around.

there is a front hatch leak issue on some of these early 2019 Outbacks that you will probably hear about, Hobie is working on a fix, probably a seal gasket will get added to the underside of the hatch cover (I think ProAnglers have this now), I expect this to be resolved quickly.  cheers, roger

SFHarry

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
Will be picking up my 2019 soon! I have flipped my 2011 OB twice offshore and I used the mirage drive to flip the boat back over. Just reached up, grabbed a fin, and pulled. Came right over. Is this a possibility with the 2019?
Hobie Outbacks 2019, 2012
DOA Humboldt Kayak Group 2012-2023
GS8, GS9, GSX, GS11, GS12, GS13
Rockfish Wars 2014, 2015, 2016
AKA: Hobie-Wan Kenobi

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
There's a video - two actually if you page through this thread - on NCKA and it looks like a fairly significant issue with the front hatch.  http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=85761.0

Let me be the first one (here) to point out that the guy carries a lot of crap when he goes fishing, but he probably didn't exceed the weight capacity of the hull.  The second video shows about a gallon of water inside the hull on a basically bare 2019 that didn't go through much rough stuff at all.  I don't know about the second video, but the first video wasn't of an early production model.

Posts in the Hobie forum suggest there will be a fix, but I only wonder how something like this got past Hobie in what I assume they look for when testing a new hull design.  I hope it turns out to be they decided to use a 50-cent gasket instead of the 90-cent gasket that would have worked...   >:D
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 08:20:30 PM by Tinker »
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
Will be picking up my 2019 soon! I have flipped my 2011 OB twice offshore and I used the mirage drive to flip the boat back over. Just reached up, grabbed a fin, and pulled. Came right over. Is this a possibility with the 2019?

I think so, my drive fins flopped down flat against the hull and weren't sticking up looking like an obvious thing to grab, so I ignored them as an option.   Pulling at the base of the fins seems like it would work and not damage the fins.

Wilfite

• Rockfish
  • Fish'n's good, Catch'n's better.
  • Date Registered: Oct 2017
This was really a great example of how to practice.  Should be pinned under "safety".
-Tony

Wilderness Systems Thresher 15.5 (Yellow)
Old Town Predator MK, (Lime Green Camo)

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
Nice job, flipper!  Seems like if the situation was rough enough that you ended up overboard, that it would be quite challenging to stand upright and step over the chair to get back into the seat.  On flat water, the boat appeared stable and you have good balance/agility to step over.

Barb-

here is another short clip of me walking to the rear deck, standing, and then moving forward again, much more like a PA deck but lower to the water, and nothing like the earlier Outbacks or Revos.  cheers, roger

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
stability looks incredible.  You could have a cocktail party on that thing !!  Nice  :banjo:

Hocuspik

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Great video! I need to get my outback out and try this. LOL

Rockbottom

• Perch
  • Date Registered: May 2018
Thanks for video!  I have to re-enter from the side.  I have a rocket tube holder on one side and a fly rod holder on the other.  I've learned how to quickly collapse the rocket tube so I can slide over the top of it and then slowly clamber aboard.  My balance is not near good enough to walk over the top of my seat from behind....my knees and flexibility are getting more suspect with each birthday!