Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 03:33:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 22, 2024, 10:14:53 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 08:59:01 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 08:37:24 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Chico Creek access  (Read 2482 times)

Rockbottom

• Perch
  • Date Registered: May 2018
Has anyone tried the Chico Way boat ramp?  How is it on different tides?
Fished from shore this morning to scout the area....seems ideal from a kayak as the chum were really moving a lot about a hundred yards farther than I wanted to wade.  The bottom is really muddy.  Got pretty stuck a few times.  Got one aggressive follow but no take.  Still not sure the speed to strip...but beautiful morning to be out.

RoxnDox

• Salmon
  • Native Propel
  • Date Registered: Sep 2013
Are you talking about the one I see up just north of Bremerton? NW Meredith, off Chico Way, into Dyess Inlet?

I haven’t been up there, but it looks like a decent ramp. Might be worth a try myself...
Junk Jigs "BEST USE OF ACTUAL JUNK" category - "That tape should have been a prized possession and not junk. That will be a collectors item in 30 years!” & “There sure is a lot of junk in there.”

Rockbottom

• Perch
  • Date Registered: May 2018
That's the one.  I might try it next weekend, although parking looks pretty tight.

Matt M

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
TIL There's a Chico Creek up there... I grew up fishing for suckers and trout on the Chico creek in Chico, CA.
-Matt

Old Town Sportsman 120 PDL

kredden

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Feb 2018
I was wade fly fishing at Chico Creek yesterday and was thinking the same thing about how to get my kayak in there.  There were a lot of jumpers but I got no biters other than a small flounder.  Guy next to me hooked the only Chum that I saw anyone get.

Where exactly is the boat ramp?  I was trying to figure out how I could get my Outback down the path to the shore but some tight spots on the path along the creek looked like they would prevent that.

Kevin

Noah

• Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
TIL There's a Chico Creek up there... I grew up fishing for suckers and trout on the Chico creek in Chico, CA.
Hey me too! My grandparents and great uncle lived on the creek, I spent a ton of my youth swimming, tubing, gold panning and snorkeling that creek. It's a gem. It was killer to watch the salmon recovery during the 90s too. At one point we'd see only 6-7 salmon each year and then it exploded into the thousands. My dad still lives just down river from the steel bridge (or previously steel bridge).

RoxnDox

• Salmon
  • Native Propel
I was wade fly fishing at Chico Creek yesterday and was thinking the same thing about how to get my kayak in there.  There were a lot of jumpers but I got no biters other than a small flounder.  Guy next to me hooked the only Chum that I saw anyone get.

Where exactly is the boat ramp?  I was trying to figure out how I could get my Outback down the path to the shore but some tight spots on the path along the creek looked like they would prevent that.

Kevin

NW Meredith, just off Chico Way. Looks like a concrete ramp, not much parking

https://www.google.com/maps/place/47.611289,+-122.709304/@47.6113008,-122.7092531,19z/data=!3m1!1e3

Junk Jigs "BEST USE OF ACTUAL JUNK" category - "That tape should have been a prized possession and not junk. That will be a collectors item in 30 years!” & “There sure is a lot of junk in there.”

kredden

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Feb 2018
Thanks.  I'm always puzzled why they build ramps with no parking, I've seen a few of them like that on that side of the sound.

Matt M

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Thanks.  I'm always puzzled why they build ramps with no parking, I've seen a few of them like that on that side of the sound.

Often times the "ramps" are intended for drift boats, they're dropped in, then the truck and trailer are shuttled down to another ramp.
-Matt

Old Town Sportsman 120 PDL

alpalmer

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012

Cannot speak to this one specifically but some of the ramps are historical access points and road ends there were "converted" into official ramps.  The land around them is private or became built on so no parking lot land is available to buy, which means parking on the shoulder or somewhere nearby.  There is one on the Longbranch peninsula, at 72nd St SW, which is good example.
"A venturesome minority will always be eager to get off on their own,
and no obstacle should be placed in their path;
let them take risk, for God sake, let them get lost, sun burnt, stranded, drowned,
eaten by bears, buried alive under avalanches -
that is the right and privilege of any free American."
--Edward Abbey--

RoxnDox

• Salmon
  • Native Propel

Cannot speak to this one specifically but some of the ramps are historical access points and road ends there were "converted" into official ramps.  The land around them is private or became built on so no parking lot land is available to buy, which means parking on the shoulder or somewhere nearby.  There is one on the Longbranch peninsula, at 72nd St SW, which is good example.

Yep. It’s a legal history artifact, from Washington laws governing the shoreline and tidelands ownership. If a road had a bridge, dock, or another facility that gave public access to the water, then that public ownership and access remains in force even after the facility is gone.   Some of these have become boat ramps, like this one. Some are just a dead end road and a strip of beach blocked by a retaining wall or rocks or such.  There are a fair number of them around here.

anything