Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:59:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Lowrance Hook2 or Elite Ti2, is touch screen worth it?  (Read 4785 times)

JasonM

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jun 2017
Since I'm blowing past my budget on buying a 2019 Outback anyway, I'm considering upgrading a lot from the Hook 4 that was on my kayak that I sold tonight. The two options that I'm currently considering are the Hook2 7 with Tripleshot transducer ($649 MSRP) and the Elite Ti2 (brand new model) in 7" screen size with the Active Imaging 3-in-1 transducer ($819 MSRP). Both have 7" screens with 800x480 resolution. A bunch of the extra stuff on the Elite Ti2 won't be used on a kayak, but I do like the idea of a touch screen. My hands aren't always the cleanest when I'm on the kayak, though, so not sure I'm even going to want to be touching the screen once I'm out there. It does seem to be a smaller unit while still having the 7" screen since it doesn't use up all that space on the side for buttons, though.

Anyone have any experience here to share? Just like the kayak, I want this purchase to be a "buy once, cry once" sort of thing that I pay a bit more for but use for 10 years. The price of either is going to qualify for that, so I might as well get the right one.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Jason, I think there's been some discussion on the touchscreens in the forums.  You might look around here and on NCKA because, if I recall the consensus at the time, folks were having some issues with how wet fingers affected the touchscreens.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

kaz

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Oct 2018
Since I'm blowing past my budget on buying a 2019 Outback anyway, I'm considering upgrading a lot from the Hook 4 that was on my kayak that I sold tonight. The two options that I'm currently considering are the Hook2 7 with Tripleshot transducer ($649 MSRP) and the Elite Ti2 (brand new model) in 7" screen size with the Active Imaging 3-in-1 transducer ($819 MSRP). Both have 7" screens with 800x480 resolution. A bunch of the extra stuff on the Elite Ti2 won't be used on a kayak, but I do like the idea of a touch screen. My hands aren't always the cleanest when I'm on the kayak, though, so not sure I'm even going to want to be touching the screen once I'm out there. It does seem to be a smaller unit while still having the 7" screen since it doesn't use up all that space on the side for buttons, though.

Anyone have any experience here to share? Just like the kayak, I want this purchase to be a "buy once, cry once" sort of thing that I pay a bit more for but use for 10 years. The price of either is going to qualify for that, so I might as well get the right one.

Hey, Jason.  My brother has the touch-screen model.  He warns that in heavy rain, the rain drops can be heavy enough to activate the screen.  You might want to  see if others report the same issue. 
Cape Falcon F1 (homemade, skin boat)
Trident 13
Necky Dolphin 14

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
I'm using a Hook2 5" triple shot on my 2019 Outback, 4 lake outings so far and very pleased with it so far, not really sure what having a touchscreen would add.   FYI-  my saved screen setting that I am using the most has sonar/downscan split 50/50 across the top 2/3 of the screen, and then below, across the full width of the lower 1/3 of the screen is the side scanning.  I'm finding the 5" screen large enough for this.  cheers, roger 
2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

JasonM

• Lingcod
Hey, Jason.  My brother has the touch-screen model.  He warns that in heavy rain, the rain drops can be heavy enough to activate the screen.  You might want to  see if others report the same issue.
Thanks for bringing that up. I expect that I'll likely end up getting one of the Berleypro sun covers. Do you think that will also help keep the rain off on downpour days?

bpm2000

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
I have a Simrad GO7XSE (100% touchscreen) with a burleypro visor.

Without the visor, I would essentially deem this unusable on the kayak.  With the visor it is very usable but I still do run into annoyances with wet fingers, splashes, etc. 

If I had to do it over again (and may have to due to an erroneous unit) I wouldn't get a touchscreen unit unless it also had hardware buttons.  Touchscreen is so much nicer than buttons for dropping waypoints and scrolling however - if you can swing it, getting the best of both worlds is the way to go.
formerly known as smokeondawater

JasonM

• Lingcod
Thanks for all the experience shared here. I decided to go ahead and try the Elite Ti2 (ouch on the $$$!) that has the touch screen and a few buttons. I bought it from a place that I can return it to if I don't like it. If I do return it, I'm sure I'll like the non-touch screen Hook2 just fine.

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
I grabbed a shot of my screen while crabbing yesterday to show how the tripleshot split looks on a 5" screen.  The Lowrance software made it easy to set this up and save it (downscan-sonar split on top 2/3, side-scan across the whole lower 1/3).  cheers, roger   

2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)