Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:08:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Getting old can suck!  (Read 2330 times)

Rockbottom

• Perch
  • Date Registered: May 2018
Finally got a chance to take the kayak out for a morning of fishing for Blackmouth and then a little fly fishing for SRC.  Tides looked great, beautiful morning, and no swells, just a light ripple.  Sun was just peeking over the hillside...what an incredible sunrise!
Loaded up my kayak, got a set up for the Blackmouth I was excited to try and a new sinking line for the SRC I haven't used before.  Also trying out a super thick fleece set of underwader pants that cost a small fortune but are soooo warm.
Drive up to the boat launch...my favorite spot is open where I can load and unload the kayak without having to worry about getting blocked out by another car.  I get the kayak unloaded, set up my rods, made sure my phone was sealed up (learned from an earlier roll into the water) and my pfd and radio were all set up, opened up the back door to my truck to grab my drysuit and......I forgot it!  Shit!
I looked out at that perfectly calm water....looked in the truck again...still no drysuit...looked out at the water....looked in the truck...Shit!
Now I'm back at home...typing this!  There was a brief moment where I considered going out on the water and then remembered how quickly I ended up IN the water when I wasn't paying careful enough attention.
Hope anyone else that got out there this morning had better luck.

snopro

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
We've all been there, and I remember the disappointment. 

I did have my best day ever at TB fishing without a forgotten Adventure seat.  Not nearly as vital as a dry suit in Winter.  You made the right choice.

dampainter

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
it`s not too late in the day yet? what`s stopping u now?

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
it`s not too late in the day yet? what`s stopping u now?
As we get older nap time becomes more important!  >:D I know I’ll be skipping my nap today and will be ready for diner in bed!

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Finally got a chance to take the kayak out for a morning of fishing for Blackmouth and then a little fly fishing for SRC.  Tides looked great, beautiful morning, and no swells, just a light ripple.  Sun was just peeking over the hillside...what an incredible sunrise!
Loaded up my kayak, got a set up for the Blackmouth I was excited to try and a new sinking line for the SRC I haven't used before.  Also trying out a super thick fleece set of underwader pants that cost a small fortune but are soooo warm.
Drive up to the boat launch...my favorite spot is open where I can load and unload the kayak without having to worry about getting blocked out by another car.  I get the kayak unloaded, set up my rods, made sure my phone was sealed up (learned from an earlier roll into the water) and my pfd and radio were all set up, opened up the back door to my truck to grab my drysuit and......I forgot it!  Shit!
I looked out at that perfectly calm water....looked in the truck again...still no drysuit...looked out at the water....looked in the truck...Shit!
Now I'm back at home...typing this!  There was a brief moment where I considered going out on the water and then remembered how quickly I ended up IN the water when I wasn't paying careful enough attention.
Hope anyone else that got out there this morning had better luck.
Get a kayak trailer and set it up so everything stays in it after cleaning, just hookup and go.

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

crabby

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Nov 2018
Check list is the way to go. I call mine my 'paper brain'.
"Pick you up in two hours", Dad

kallitype

• Sturgeon
  • Vashon Island kayaker
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
Yoiu made the right choice!  Water temp in my necka the woods (Quartermaster Harbor, Vashon Island) is 44 degrees.  I once rescued my buddy who fell off his Hobie Revolution in January at Point no Point, water temp 43. He could not get back into his boat, I pedaled him 1/4 mile to shore, holding him alongside my Revolution by his PFD.  He was pretty blue and shivering violently, but 1/2 hour in the truck with dry clothes and heater on full blast got him able to make the trip back to Federal Way.  If I'd had a sit-in yak, or a paddle-only yak, he'd be fish food. Thank God for the Mirage Drive!!!
Never underestimate the ability of our policymakers to fail to devise and implement intelligent policy

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Getting old does suck! 

But, you made the right choice to allow yourself the opportunity to continue getting old and having more reasons to vilify getting old sucks. 

Checklists, trailers and even a buddy to bounce your packing list off are all great for the forgetful. 
Habits and routines are not as reliable if outside forces are involved, but still helpful.  Meaning pack your gear the same way every time, and odds are less that you will forget something.

:icon_thumright:

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

PNW

• Teutrowenia pellucida (Googly-eyed glass squid)
  • Sturgeon
  • Paul
  • My Facebook page
  • Date Registered: Sep 2008
The chance of me forgetting something is directly proportional to… to… um... hmm....?

hdpwipmonkey

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2014
The chance of me forgetting something is directly proportional to… to… um... hmm....?

:spittake:
Ray
2020 Hobie Outback "Chum Chicken"
2018 Native Titan 10.5 "Battle Barge"
Wilderness Tarpon 100

www.facebook.com/HOWNOC

2016 Junk Jig Challenge
Category - IT’S NOT A DRINKING PROBLEM IF YOU’RE BEING CREATIVE
1st place - The Drunken Bastard

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
The only thing I've never forgotten is my kayak...
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

Rockbottom

• Perch
  • Date Registered: May 2018
I've decided to write different checklists for all my different types of fishing and then take photos of the lists so they're on my phone for easy access (and in case I forget where I put the lists!) but still have a hard copy in case I drop my phone in the water again!
Thanks for the ideas.

anything