Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 10:01:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:12:10 PM]

[Today at 06:04:24 PM]

by jed
[Today at 04:56:16 PM]

by PNW
[Today at 03:57:54 PM]

[Today at 09:43:36 AM]

[Today at 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

[April 02, 2024, 09:39:30 AM]

[April 01, 2024, 12:06:53 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Youth AOTY  (Read 1672 times)

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
More people need to take their kids fishing.   I don't know if you realize this, but fishing license sales are down and the biggest reason for that is decreased recruitment (i.e. kids don't fish anymore).   Oh, they'll spend hours "fishing" in Minecraft or trying to catch Pokemon on their phones, but it probably never occurred to them to try the real thing.

I get it, fishing time is your time.  Time to leave the kids with your spouse and escape the worries of family life for the day.   I'm not saying take them every trip, but once in awhile won't hurt.  Might even buy you some good will with your spouse.

How to start..

Dressing the part..
Get a PDF for your kid that fits.   
-If it's cold, think about immersion gear for them.  Kid's wetsuits, boots and a rain jacket are inexpensive and work really well.   Bring extra dry clothes and towels.
-Don't go if it's too cold.  Wait until nicer weather approaches.

Where to go..
-Small lakes and ponds.  Don't bother with fast flowing rivers or the ocean until your kids are bigger and more confident.
-Slow moving rivers.  Places like the Willamette river in the summer are practically a lake at that point.

Kayak setup...
-Take minimal gear.   Just one rod and a small bag of gear at first is plenty.  A net or fish gripper is helpful.   A small stringer to keep the fish.   Don't worry about electronics, downriggers, etc..  they'll just be in the way.

Where to put your kid...
-If they are really small (2-4 yrs old), put them on your lap.  Not sure how this works with pedal kayaks, but for us that have paddle kayaks, it's not bad.  The kids can even "help" paddle. 
-Slightly older kids (5-9 yrs old) can often sit in your tank well.   Provide a bit of back support by using an extra kayak seat or one of those folding stadium seats.   
-For older kids, consider getting a tandem.  Barring that, it's time to teach them to kayak for themselves and get them a small kayak of their own.

What to fish for..
Waiting for a bite all day is a great way to get a kid uninterested in fishing ever again.  So skip the salmon and steelhead fishing until you're kids beg you to take them. Until then consider the following options:
-Panfish, trout, bass... find a small lake with lots of panfish, trout, and/or bass.   Especially for smaller kids having a bit of action will keep them interested. 
-Shad.   June on the Willamette River near Oregon City.   Lot's of action and shad put up a decent fight on light gear.
-Sturgeon.  If your kids are a little bigger, catch and release sturgeon fishing in Portland can be a lot of fun and the action is usually pretty good.

Other considerations...
- Trolling is a great method for fishing with kids.  When they aren't catching fish, they'll be moving and seeing new things.  When a fish is on all they need to worry about is catching it.
- Pick a location with some scenery.  Mountain lakes are a great escape.
- Take shore breaks.
- Bring plenty of snacks and drinks.
- Take plenty of photos.
- Let your kids take some photos (waterproof camera with float recommended).
- Sign your kid up for the Youth AOTY.  Make it a game for them complete with points, ranking, prizes.. It's also free with you're adult registration.

If you have any questions, please let me know. 

Brian

« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 11:17:26 AM by bsteves »
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

hdpwipmonkey

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2014
Good article Brian.

I take my son with me whenever I can.  Whether its from the bank or from the kayak.  I keep forgetting to get his fish posted on the AOTY page (maybe on purpose so he won't beat me at fishing... again)

« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 12:03:19 PM by hdpwipmonkey »
Ray
2020 Hobie Outback "Chum Chicken"
2018 Native Titan 10.5 "Battle Barge"
Wilderness Tarpon 100

www.facebook.com/HOWNOC

2016 Junk Jig Challenge
Category - IT’S NOT A DRINKING PROBLEM IF YOU’RE BEING CREATIVE
1st place - The Drunken Bastard

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Awesome post! Neither of my kids is wild about fishing but I'm still able to get them to come out with me once in a while. Last year my daughter agreed to go fishing with me but she wanted to go in the ocean, so that's what we did. By the time she came back in she was bragging about how big her lingcod was and asking when we could go again. So a little effort goes a long way.

I really should have entered her into the youth AOTY - I was surprised enough that she wanted to go that I didn't remember to. I won't make that mistake again this year.

hdpwipmonkey

• Sturgeon
Brandon requires a fishing license now so he won't be able to enter the Youth AOTY this year.  Looks like I'm paying for 2 entries this year.
Ray
Wilderness Tarpon 100

www.facebook.com/HOWNOC

2016 Junk Jig Challenge

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
Brandon requires a fishing license now so he won't be able to enter the Youth AOTY this year.  Looks like I'm paying for 2 entries this year.

If he doesn't have to buy an adult license then he can be in the Youth Division.

Rule #16: "The youth division is for children who are not required to buy an adult angling license in their state of residence."

hdpwipmonkey

• Sturgeon
Thanks Capt.  When I was checking the rules earlier I missed the "adult" portion of that statement. 
Ray
Wilderness Tarpon 100

www.facebook.com/HOWNOC

2016 Junk Jig Challenge

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
Thanks Capt.  When I was checking the rules earlier I missed the "adult" portion of that statement.

No problem, looking forward to seeing his fish!

hdpwipmonkey

• Sturgeon

No problem, looking forward to seeing his fish!

I just need to remember to get a pic of them on the hawg trough now...
Ray
Wilderness Tarpon 100

www.facebook.com/HOWNOC

2016 Junk Jig Challenge

Casey

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
Lots of places for small children to ride😉