Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:45:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: How to store your catch on a kayak  (Read 3995 times)

workhard

• Salmon
  • Get off your computer and fish
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
To each their own.

But to answer your question, no I haven't. But if I did, and a pinniped tried to bite a salmon off my stringer I'd exercise some common sense and bring the fish on board. Hell, I might actually go down there and try it and report make my results, this board needs more Chinook anyway. What to take me out so you can observe first hand?

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
To each their own.

But to answer your question, no I haven't. But if I did, and a pinniped tried to bite a salmon off my stringer I'd exercise some common sense and bring the fish on board. Hell, I might actually go down there and try it and report make my results, this board needs more Chinook anyway. What to take me out so you can observe first hand?

I don't know you, and I don't know what your angle is on this issue, but the sea lions on the Willamette can be seriously aggressive (even when you don't have fish) and what you're suggesting is literally dangerous. They jump up and take fish off of the gunwales of 20 foot fishing boats. I have had sea lions in the spring bark and charge at me when I was in 6 feet of water 20 feet from shore. They have zero fear of people or man-made objects.

But as long as you have a GoPro running I support your endeavors!  ;D

workhard

• Salmon
  • Get off your computer and fish
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
To each their own.

I don't know you, and I don't know what your angle is on this issue, but the sea lions on the Willamette can be seriously aggressive (even when you don't have fish) and what you're suggesting is literally dangerous. They jump up and take fish off of the gunwales of 20 foot fishing boats. I have had sea lions in the spring bark and charge at me when I was in 6 feet of water 20 feet from shore. They have zero fear of people or man-made objects.

But as long as you have a GoPro running I support your endeavors!  ;D

If it risks my safety then I probably wouldn't do it. As you said use common sense and be in charge of your own safety. But the Willamette is still an edgecase used to prove someone's point. The majority of places you're perfectly fine with fish on a stringer.

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Just to remind the folks relatively new to this forum. 

On a kayak, each person is the captain of their vessel and owns their own mistakes. 
Nobody to blame but thyself. 

However, bad decisions like:
*Clothing options (not prepared for water temp/conditions, or no PFD).
*Where you are fishing (illegal or clearly too dangerous).
*How to handle your catch (sharks and furballs).
*Fishing etiquette (horrible handling of catch release, ie sturgeon)
*Ramp etiquette (not paying ramp fees or just being a dick to other boaters).
*etc...

will get you quietly blacklisted until you change your ways to suit any individual that may choose to fish with you or around you.

Experienced or not, if you actively promote generally observed unsafe/uncouth behavior in writing on this forum, then there is a very good chance that invites for fishing trips may be slow to come your way.  There are A LOT of people reading this forum daily, and there is A LOT of behind the scenes group trips that go on throughout the year without anything posted up.

----------------------------------------------------

As for how to deal with your burlap bag after a day of fishing.  When I use a burlap bag (not very often anymore), I rinse it good, then when home I toss it in a bucket of water with some bleach and let it sit a few hours. Rinse good and hang in the sun to dry. The bleach and sun will do a number on any bacteria left behind. 

DO NOT put your burlap bag in the laundry with your wife's dainties.  She just may blacklist you from existence!   :o

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

PNW

• Teutrowenia pellucida (Googly-eyed glass squid)
  • Sturgeon
  • Paul
  • My Facebook page
  • Date Registered: Sep 2008
I tether a large game bag & sometimes cover it with wet burlap.
I agree, if someone wants to hang their catch over the side, it's their choice. I've been kayak fishing & free diving the salt for a long time. I used to put a couple fish on a game clip while I was free diving, but don't anymore. Perhaps I'm being overly cautious, but based on my encounters with sea lions, especially bulls, having them active in an area I'm trying to fish or dive is a watch out situation. I bleed my fish in the water & may dip my catch occasionally to help keep them cool, but don't leave them hanging off the side of my yak.

PNW

• Teutrowenia pellucida (Googly-eyed glass squid)
  • Sturgeon
  • Paul
  • My Facebook page
  • Date Registered: Sep 2008
+1
Just to remind the folks relatively new to this forum. 

On a kayak, each person is the captain of their vessel and owns their own mistakes. 
Nobody to blame but thyself. 

However, bad decisions like:
*Clothing options (not prepared for water temp/conditions, or no PFD).
*Where you are fishing (illegal or clearly too dangerous).
*How to handle your catch (sharks and furballs).
*Fishing etiquette (horrible handling of catch release, ie sturgeon)
*Ramp etiquette (not paying ramp fees or just being a dick to other boaters).
*etc...

will get you quietly blacklisted until you change your ways to suit any individual that may choose to fish with you or around you.

Experienced or not, if you actively promote generally observed unsafe/uncouth behavior in writing on this forum, then there is a very good chance that invites for fishing trips may be slow to come your way.  There are A LOT of people reading this forum daily, and there is A LOT of behind the scenes group trips that go on throughout the year without anything posted up.

----------------------------------------------------

As for how to deal with your burlap bag after a day of fishing.  When I use a burlap bag (not very often anymore), I rinse it good, then when home I toss it in a bucket of water with some bleach and let it sit a few hours. Rinse good and hang in the sun to dry. The bleach and sun will do a number on any bacteria left behind. 

DO NOT put your burlap bag in the laundry with your wife's dainties.  She just may blacklist you from existence!   :o