Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 09:13:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:32:35 AM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 08:37:24 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Central Montana Pike Fishing  (Read 2931 times)

• Date Registered: Oct 2015
This summer I have been getting into pike fishing! So far, my largest pike is 32 inches, but I lost one last time out that would of been close to 38 inches, it was a total beast! I lost it due to not having a large enough net to land it! It was so sad seeing it dart to the bottom of the lake on the fish finder! If you guys have any recommendations on landing them, I would love to hear them! I hope you guys enjoy the photos!

Amik

• Herring
  • Date Registered: May 2015
Nice fish! I had the same situation this summer at the Tongue River reservoir. Hooked a big pike, played him to the boat, tried to get him in my skinny net that I use on bass and crappy. The hooks on the flicker shad snagged the net and off he went. The next one( I still had not replaced the net) I just played until I could reach out and grab him, easy in a boat but a little tricky in a kayak. Next time I went to Sportsmans, I bought a bigger net.

I will be buying a bigger net, but I am not sure how big is too big on a kayak haha.

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
I will be buying a bigger net, but I am not sure how big is too big on a kayak haha.
When kayak fishing for big fish, I prefer folding nets because they don't catch a lot of wind.  I've been real happy with my Frabil Power-Stow folding net, which I bungie folded on top of my cooler, and can open it with one hand and maybe a toe while fighting a fish with the other hand.

I remember trying to catch big lake trout with an insufficiently large net.  It was pretty funny.  I'd jam the net over the fish's head and scoop it out of the water, but half the fish would be sticking out of the net, so it would flip itself right out of the net.  Then I'd end up with a large irritated fish thrashing on my lap with a big treble hook lure hanging out of its mouth.  A big net is definitely a better way to go.

Skidplate

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2012
I am not sure how big is too big on a kayak haha.

Bsteves may be the authority on the subject...

Surprisingly, this photo was not altered. The net is just closer to the camera (forced-perspective) with an already large net. (found here http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=13797.msg151005#msg151005)
My wife thinks fishing is merely guys wandering around like idiots swinging sticks in the air. Many of my trips prove how smart she really is.

1simplemann

• Herring
  • Date Registered: May 2015
I generally try to avoid bringing them in the boat. all hell usually breaks loose! If you have to,grab them by the head behind the gills. that usually does the trick. Hold tight of course! There's a method out there that says grab them by the eyes. If your going to keep them i guess that method works. Personally I've never done it since I'm a catch and release kinda guy. Tight Lines
Have Kayak, Will Travel!

Man, that net is massive! Probably a little overkill for what I catch. I think a net that was 30in wide and fairly deep would do the trick. I like to keep a few pike to beer batter and deep fat fry. I just get nervous picking them up with all the treble hooks that the rapalas I use have. I see some people using the lip grabbers, but I don't see myself being able to hook them with one of those.