Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:16:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Demoralizing failure to catch lake whitefish  (Read 4882 times)

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
I love the stories which get posted on this forum about how a kayak angler amazed a crowd of motor boaters by catching big fish when they were getting skunked.  Spoiler alert: this is not one of those stories.

Yesterday I went fishing for lake whitefish for the first time, in Flathead Lake.  I ended up fishing near a motor boater who gave me a lot of useful advice.  I was using the same lure as he was, I was doing the same things that he was, and I was fishing about 30 feet away from his boat.  But he caught about a dozen big lake whitefish, and I got skunked.  It was demoralizing.  There were two other motor boats in the area, also all using the same lure, and they only caught one or two lake whitefish per boat.  So this guy definitely had the touch.

A little background on lake whitefish in Flathead Lake:  Fishery biologists say that lake whitefish are by far the most numerous fish in Flathead Lake, and the limit is ONE HUNDRED (100) LAKE WHITEFISH PER DAY.  But for the past eight years or so, very few lake whitefish have been caught.  You’ll hear a story: “so-and-so caught 50 lake whitefish in three hours at such-and-such a spot!  The whitefish bite is on!”  Everybody runs up to the lake, and gets skunked.  The bite disappears as fast as it appeared.  Because just about nobody was catching lake whitefish, I never bothered to try to catch them.  But last week, after announcements of great success on lake whitefish in the Narrows, I headed up to Flathead Lake to see if I could catch some.  But I couldn’t.  A guy in one of the other motor boats reported that he and a friend caught 40 lake whitefish in the Narrows a week ago, and went back the next day and got skunked.

But I’m an optimistic guy.  I’m going to go back up there and keep trying until I catch some of those dang lake whitefish.

Here’s the guy who caught all the whitefish.

The guy doing catch and release fishing, into his cooler.  This was a medium sized whitefish.

Here’s the actual skunk, which I encountered today on a hike.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 07:36:55 PM by pmmpete »

C_Run

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011
How big are those things? That looked pretty big.

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
The big ones were almost as long as the inside of the cooler.  And I have been told, by people who have been able to catch them, that they are very tasty.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 02:11:06 PM by pmmpete »

Matt M

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Hey Pete,
I am willing to bet that man has been fishing there for whitefish in that lake for 20+ years. There's something about that experience that simply works even when the lures and everything else are the same. I am certain given more time spent at that lake you will soon nail 'em!
-Matt

Old Town Sportsman 120 PDL

• WS Commander 120, OK Trident 13, Revo 13
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
Bust out your Pro-Cure Pete. By my recollection they like anise.
Better to keep ones mouth shut and presumed a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
<Proverbs>

dandj1958

• Rockfish
  • I fish like a girl
  • Date Registered: Aug 2014
I love stories about being skunked and then showing a skunk! 
Thanks for the great report!
Julie
AKA mrs. dannybay
2015 Hobie Revo 11
2012 Hobie Revo 11

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
There is an interesting short article entitled “Long-Term Effects of Nonnative Species Introductions to Flathead Lake, Montana” available at http://mtprof.msun.edu/Fall2012/ellis.html . This article includes the following chart which shows the numbers of different fish species at various periods of time.  The lower set of fish pictures represents current populations of fish.  Notice that the “2X” next to the picture of a lake whitefish means that there is actually twice as many lake whitefish as is indicated by the size of the picture of that fish.  Which means that there are vastly more lake whitefish in Flathead Lake than there are lake trout.  But for the last 8 years or so, almost nobody has been able to catch any lake whitefish, and then only for short periods of time during the year.  It’s very odd.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 02:47:46 PM by pmmpete »

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
On my second day of fishing for lake whitefish, I caught an 18" whitefish. Just one, but it was a slow day.  Motorboats in the area caught few or no whitefish, and the guy who caught a dozen last weekend only caught two.

The wind came up and the waves got bouncy, so I spent a while catching northern pikeminnows to use for lake trout and pike bait, and then called it a day.

SamM

• Lingcod
  • McDowellHome
  • Date Registered: Jul 2011
Nice Pete, way to stick with it!  Though I wish I could catch salmon every other trip out...

Sam
got stop wishing,
     got to go fishing...
          - Jimmy Buffett

Hobie Oasis, Outback, i11s

Casey

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
Awesome! It's always fun to catch something different!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
love hearing of stories of catching lesser known species.  I hope to be able to diversify more from my halibut and king salmon regiment 

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
The lake whitefish bite on Flathead Lake has continued to be active, and I’m slowly getting better at catching them.  Not as good as some friends who have been catching around 20 a day, but that's OK, because I don't know what I'd do with that many whitefish.  Most of the whitefish are 18-20 inches and put up a good fight, but some are a lot bigger – a friend caught a 6 pound whitefish last week.  They’re tasty cooked.  The meat is similar to northern pike but a bit denser.  They’re also tasty smoked.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 05:38:59 PM by pmmpete »

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Those look fun - thanks for the report/update.

jmbx2ditto

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015
Being a fly fisherman before turning to kayak I've done quite well on whitefish. Seeing that the lake contains Copiopod and Mysis, a scud pattern would do well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
Being a fly fisherman before turning to kayak I've done quite well on whitefish. Seeing that the lake contains Copiopod and Mysis, a scud pattern would do well.
Were you fishing for lake whitefish or mountain whitefish?  And if you were fishing for lake whitefish, how did you get a scud pattern down to them?  In Flathead Lake, the lake whitefish hang out right on the bottom, often at considerable depths.  During the current bite period, the lake whitefish can be found on the bottom in 50-60 feet of water gobbling down baby perch about 3/4" long.  We have been fishing for them with 3/8 oz. or 5/8 oz. vertical lead jigs,  sometimes with a small fly attached above the jig.