Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:44:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Hello  (Read 1165 times)

ZooAtHome

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Apr 2018
Stumbled on this forum a few days ago while looking for tips for chasing salmon in my kayak. Poked around a bit and decided there might be some worthy conversations to be had here, so allow me to introduce myself.

You can call me Zoo (everyone else does). I live in northwest Oregon. I raised two daughters, now grown and married, which means my husband and I finally get some quality time, just the two of us. It's pretty cool.

Hubby and I are both relatively new to paddling. We tried it out last summer and immediately became addicted. Ended up purchasing our first boats, a pair of Pungo ultralights, late in the season. I do not own a "fishing" or pedal-driven kayak (yet) as our enthusiasm is for paddling. We love being down close to the water and driving the boat by hand. Truly immerses you in the environment.

Spending so much time on the water, however, soon re-awakened my interest in fishing. I hadn't touched a rod in twenty-plus years, but every time I'd go out I'd find myself eyeing spots and thinking, I bet a big one likes to hang out there. Finally, I caved and took a trip to a local sporting goods store. The selection of gear now available overwhelmed me at first. I'm having to learn all over again, but that's okay. Learning is fun.

I've had some good luck shore-fishing for trout over the winter months when the cold water kept us out of our boats (we are still too inexperienced for cold-weather paddling). Now, as the weather sort of warms up, I'm exploring how to combine the two activities in the months to come. We've already take the boats out on the lake a couple of times on nice days, staying close to shore for safety. Sit-in kayaks definitely add some unique challenges to angling. It's been an adventure so far and, I must say, I'm having more fun than I've had in years.

Well, that's me in a nutshell. Good to meet you all!

Trident 13

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
Welcome and you'll find good info here.  Having gone thru your current phase, it is interesting and fun.  You're in a great area and will pick up many tips from some great folks here.  I did some fishing in a sit-in and it's an interesting game, much easier in fresh water, can be quit exciting in the salt.  The experience you're getting is highly recommended.  Look for some paddling demo's so you can test a wide variety.  It's pretty interesting how similar kayaks work differently for various folks.  Patience and planning is part of the fun.  Good luck.

ZooAtHome

• Plankton
Thanks for the tip. We spent weeks trying out several different models before purchasing our pungos, including a couple of pedal-driven kayaks. We love our boats, but I can certainly see where sit-on-tops would make fishing easier. I wouldn't mind owning both someday. When that time comes, you can bet we'll try out several more before deciding. We're still at the beginning of this adventure, though. Plenty of time to grow. :)

The whole process has indeed been interesting and fun and, I am sure, will continue to be so.

Trident 13

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
After trying, keep an eye open for used ones. Kayaks are like motorcycles.  You can hunt down some with VERY low miles once someone decides it's not a sport they like.  That allows you to resell as you move upward and just "rent" the transitional yak.  Besides, the hunting and researching reviews is not only fun, but helps you establish the specifics you'll appreciate once you do move up.  If you can get to some of the functions, I'd guess many folks would be happy to allow you to do a little test paddle and offer advice for the price of a beverage:-)  There's a HOW event coming up in your area on 4-28 you can search for.

C_Run

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011
After trying, keep an eye open for used ones. Kayaks are like motorcycles.  You can hunt down some with VERY low miles once someone decides it's not a sport they like.  That allows you to resell as you move upward and just "rent" the transitional yak.  Besides, the hunting and researching reviews is not only fun, but helps you establish the specifics you'll appreciate once you do move up.  If you can get to some of the functions, I'd guess many folks would be happy to allow you to do a little test paddle and offer advice for the price of a beverage:-)  There's a HOW event coming up in your area on 4-28 you can search for.

Our household has settled on Tridents, both 11' and 13'. We got both of my wife's as Trident 13 said above, finding like-new ones being sold for essentially half price and with many of the accessories.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I own a Trident 11 and a Trident 13 - and a bunch of others that I wish my kids would finally get out of my garage.  Like C_Run said, they're great kayaks and you can find nearly pristine ones for not a lot of cash.

Oh!  And welcome!  Great, another girl in the forum who'll certainly out-fish me (just like my Granddaughters always do).  I'll be rooting for you just as loudly as I root for them.

Glad you're here.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

hdpwipmonkey

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2014
Welcome zoo.  This is a great resource for info and finding folks to fish with.  I'd like to try fishing Scapoose Bay this year.  I've heard there's some good fishing there.  If I make a trip there I'll post up an invite for you all.  I usually post up an invite when I go out fishing because for me, fishing should be a social experience.  I'd much rather go out with others than by myself.  Also, there's safety in numbers...
Ray
2020 Hobie Outback "Chum Chicken"
2018 Native Titan 10.5 "Battle Barge"
Wilderness Tarpon 100

www.facebook.com/HOWNOC

2016 Junk Jig Challenge
Category - IT’S NOT A DRINKING PROBLEM IF YOU’RE BEING CREATIVE
1st place - The Drunken Bastard

ZooAtHome

• Plankton
Hdpwipmonkey, Scappoose Bay is where we started and we have spent countless days exploring every twist, turn and gunk hole in the area. It's one of my favorite places to explore in the warmer months. We'd be happy to join you and even show you around a bit.

hdpwipmonkey

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2014
Hdpwipmonkey, Scappoose Bay is where we started and we have spent countless days exploring every twist, turn and gunk hole in the area. It's one of my favorite places to explore in the warmer months. We'd be happy to join you and even show you around a bit.
Sounds like a great way to spend a summer day.  I'll definitely be hitting you guys up for the guided tour.
Ray
2020 Hobie Outback "Chum Chicken"
2018 Native Titan 10.5 "Battle Barge"
Wilderness Tarpon 100

www.facebook.com/HOWNOC

2016 Junk Jig Challenge
Category - IT’S NOT A DRINKING PROBLEM IF YOU’RE BEING CREATIVE
1st place - The Drunken Bastard

anything