Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:16:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: The Beast of Battleground  (Read 3166 times)

Great Bass 2

• Catch And Cook (CNC)
  • Rockfish
  • The Art and Science of Fishing
  • Date Registered: Mar 2014
We had a HOW event at Battleground Lake last Saturday and we were short volunteers so I ended up guiding instead of my usual kitchen duties. I fish Battleground about 6 times a year when there is no place better to fish, usually in the winter. I have never done that great there because I only troll or cast lures and powerbait is the most productive tactic at this lake. I read on the Fisherman's Marine newsletter that trolling at Battleground was best in the morning. I am pretty lazy with regard to trout fishing and rarely start fishing before 9AM. This time I decided to get an earlier start.

I arrived around 7AM with Anthony. We set up the the kayaks for the vets and then I decided to do a little fishing before the vets arrived. I launched around 8AM was trolling 1/4 oz and 1/2 oz worm spinners set back 150' and 100'. The water is very clear since it is underground fed so I went with long set backs. About 10 minutes after I started trolling I had a takedown on the 1/4 oz spinner. It felt like a decent fish but didn't fight much until I got it 30' from the boat then he decided he didn't want to end up on a fry pan. I was using 6 lb fluorocarbon so it took about 10 minutes to wear him down. Netted him with my new ego net. 20" and 4.5 pounds, a personal best for Battleground. I also landed two 15" trout. Unfortunately I had less success getting the vets on fish but some did catch trout.

Life is good, Scott
Heroes on the Water Guide
O.K. Malibu 2XL
Hobie Adventure Island
Eddyline Caribbean 12
No Sponsors, Not Prostaff, Just Fishin

RoxnDox

• Salmon
  • Native Propel
  • Date Registered: Sep 2013
Great fish you got there!  I do love the look on your pup's face as he's nose-to-nose with Mister Fish there!!!   ;D
Junk Jigs "BEST USE OF ACTUAL JUNK" category - "That tape should have been a prized possession and not junk. That will be a collectors item in 30 years!” & “There sure is a lot of junk in there.”

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
The early bird slays the beast.

The corned beef and the tri-tip were both delicious. Thanks for all you do for our chapter!

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

YippieKaiyak

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
Nice fish!  Is that a PFD on the pup?  If so, may I ask where you got one?  We got a new pack member recently and I have a suspicion there may be kayaking in the future.
Kayaking without wearing a PFD is like drunk driving.  You can get away with it for a while, but eventually someone dies.

Great Bass 2

• Catch And Cook (CNC)
  • Rockfish
Nice fish!  Is that a PFD on the pup?  If so, may I ask where you got one?  We got a new pack member recently and I have a suspicion there may be kayaking in the future.

Its a neoprene swim vest which has floatation inserts designed by Avery for duck hunting. It provides floatation as well as cold water insulation. Don’t buy an expensive dog PFD until they are full grown. You will need 3 dog PFDs if you start training them at 4 months to be kayak dogs. My golden, Carli is a 4 season retriever so insulation is important. She is addicted to fish slime and fish blood and a good companion. She kisses every fish landed.
O.K. Malibu 2XL
Hobie Adventure Island
Eddyline Caribbean 12

Wiggins

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Nov 2014
I take my German Shepherd whitewater rafting with me in some pretty big water. I have had good luck with the NRS dog PFD. It is $45, and I have seen them locally at some feed and pet stores. She is 75 pounds and the handle supports her weight when pulling her back in the boat.

A friend of mine also has had good things to say about his Ruffwear dog PFD. They are around $100 and can be found at REI.

Kyle

Squidder_K

• Rockfish
  • A bad day of fishing is still better than a good d
  • Date Registered: Sep 2018
We had a HOW event at Battleground Lake last Saturday and we were short volunteers so I ended up guiding instead of my usual kitchen duties. I fish Battleground about 6 times a year when there is no place better to fish, usually in the winter. I have never done that great there because I only troll or cast lures and powerbait is the most productive tactic at this lake. I read on the Fisherman's Marine newsletter that trolling at Battleground was best in the morning. I am pretty lazy with regard to trout fishing and rarely start fishing before 9AM. This time I decided to get an earlier start.

I arrived around 7AM with Anthony. We set up the the kayaks for the vets and then I decided to do a little fishing before the vets arrived. I launched around 8AM was trolling 1/4 oz and 1/2 oz worm spinners set back 150' and 100'. The water is very clear since it is underground fed so I went with long set backs. About 10 minutes after I started trolling I had a takedown on the 1/4 oz spinner. It felt like a decent fish but didn't fight much until I got it 30' from the boat then he decided he didn't want to end up on a fry pan. I was using 6 lb fluorocarbon so it took about 10 minutes to wear him down. Netted him with my new ego net. 20" and 4.5 pounds, a personal best for Battleground. I also landed two 15" trout. Unfortunately I had less success getting the vets on fish but some did catch trout.

Life is good, Scott

Hey Scott,

Good to see you are slaying them up there. I will be up there by the beginning of Feb in Bremerton. I have a start date now!

Kevin
US Army & Army National Guard Veteran of 34 years
Veteran 36th Infantry Division "The Fighting Texans!," FOB Danger, Tikrit Iraq 2005
Boston Sports Fan since 1967, I have seen the highs, and the lows of Boston sports teams.
aka Kevin

Great Bass 2

• Catch And Cook (CNC)
  • Rockfish
Awesome Kevin!!! PM me when you want to hook up. Scott
O.K. Malibu 2XL
Hobie Adventure Island
Eddyline Caribbean 12

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
R uffwear here tooo. Tho, our basset doesn't go out on the yak. We use it on her when crabbing off the public docks in the sound and when we go to Westport and crab off the floats there inside the seawalll. Try to find one for a Chihuahua /Rat Terrier mix... hard to come up with something that doesn't weigh as much as she does..
Apologise, didn't mean to thread jack
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

Squidder_K

• Rockfish
  • A bad day of fishing is still better than a good d
  • Date Registered: Sep 2018
Awesome Kevin!!! PM me when you want to hook up. Scott

Will do brother!
US Army & Army National Guard Veteran of 34 years
Veteran 36th Infantry Division "The Fighting Texans!," FOB Danger, Tikrit Iraq 2005
Boston Sports Fan since 1967, I have seen the highs, and the lows of Boston sports teams.
aka Kevin