Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:33:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: If the saltwater gods will allow it...  (Read 2079 times)

• Date Registered: Feb 2009
I'll be around PC for the next few days (Wed. a.m. to Friday p.m.) if anyone's going to be hitting The Rock. The waves don't look good until maybe Thursday, but the wind will be an issue later in the day. I'm trying to drop a crab pot and maybe troll for salmon or whatever will impale itself on a 4/0+ hook...

Fred "True" Trujillo
"This above all: to thine own self, be true, and it must follow, as the day the night, thou canst not then be false to any man."

Budromero001

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Jun 2017
I'm game for the weekend weather permitting

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Hope you get out Fred!

If there were a few more hours of daylight, I would have tried to get out this evening. Tomorrow's secondary swell looks iffy. I might do some surf-perching in the morning south of the put in spot at PC.
"This above all: to thine own self, be true, and it must follow, as the day the night, thou canst not then be false to any man."

Okay, it looks like it's a green light for me tomorrow. Heading out around 6 a.m. at PC. Dropping a pot and heading toward the rock and then the buoy (possibly farther North). I'll be on channel 69 while I'm out there if anyone gets out. The wind kicked up around noon today and I'm looking to fish until at least 11 when I bring in my crab pot. I'll let y'all know how it goes and will hopefully have a photo or two to share.

Fred "True" Trujillo

trbro04

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Jul 2018
Hi

Do you go out of PC often?  If so, do you mind if I tag along sometime?  Just don't want to go out by myself the first couple of times.  Lakes and Rivers are no problem. 

Thanks for the consideration.

Tim

Of course! Safety in numbers and all that. I may fish a little next week after I get my kitchen countertop project done. When are you looking at getting out?

As I'm going out possibly by myself tomorrow I'll stick close to the rock, will have my phone and marine radio with me and my Hobie Amas if things get too dicey. Waders, kayak jacket, lifejackets are a must when heading in the big blue. I was hoping to get a little farther out but I won't without a wingman/woman.

Channel 69 if you get a chance.

Fred "True" Trujillo

dampainter

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
did u make it out fred?

trbro04

• Herring

Hi

I'll be over there next week Thursday thru Sunday.  Have everything but dry suit.  Working on that now.   Last resort going out without dry suit due to warm weather.  Have all gear and familiar with Salmon fishing.  Not used to kayaking at the rock.  Really looking forward to it!!!!!!!!   

So getcher darn kitchen counter top project done and lets go fishing!

Best regards

Tim

I did get out! it was a good day. I got out on the water about 6:15 with someone ahead of me who got out around 5:30 in a red kayak. I dropped a crab pot and headed out to the rock soon after. I caught one quick big black rockfish followed by another. I then hooked a ling that seemed to be caught up on something. Fought it for about 20 minutes before I gave it some line to make up its mind to see what it wanted to do. It scrambled and I brought it up on 12 lb test. It wasn't as big as it fought. Only about 26" or so. I let it go and hooked a couple of smaller black rocks. The coolest moment of the morning came when a whale started churning up the water between me and the rock. I was at about 30 yards from Haystack and it looked like it started rubbing itself up against the kelp about 15 yards away. I saw it gently glide away soon after around the East side.

After finishing my limit of rockfish, I went back to check the crab pot and only had one legal male and one female in the pot along with a bunch of snails and tiny baby crab around 1" in size. To be fair, I only let it soak for about 3 hours, but the wind was kicking up and I didn't want to get caught pulling up a trap when the wind started howling.

From the West I saw a couple of 'yaks coming in. Apparently MurseStrong and a couple of others got out on the water around 4:45 to target salmon. Let's just say there was some success achieved. The beach landing was pretty uneventful (no garage sale) except for the small whale calves that were hovering around the point and giving the vacationers a show.

I'm looking to try and get out next week some time as the waves look doable again. I put on my training wheels as I thought that a howling wind along with a full crab trap would warrant their use. I didn't need them I suppose, but not knowing if people would be out on the water it gave me a little more confidence out there.

The rockfish fillets were pretty clean except for a few worms. Not too bad. I also caught a vermillion rockfish and wasn't sure if I could keep it or not. I decided to let it go as it was better safe than sorry (and fined).

Fred "True" Trujillo

dampainter

• Salmon
   Last resort going out without dry suit due to warm weather. 
Tim

tim, please do not go out there without at least a wet suit if not a dry suit.  dress for water temps.

good read, good job fred, can`t wait to get back out!

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Tim

tim, please do not go out there without at least a wet suit if not a dry suit.  dress for water temps.

++1  Don't put yourself at risk and definitely don't put others who are with you at risk.  If you don't have the gear, don't leave the beach!
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

C_Run

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011
Tim

++1  Don't put yourself at risk and definitely don't put others who are with you at risk.  If you don't have the gear, don't leave the beach!

I agree, too. I never trusted my 3.0 farmer john for the ocean and waited a few years, actually , until I could buy a dry suit for myself and the wife. You're not going to want to swim from the rock to the beach in your jeans even on a sunny day.

trbro04

• Herring
Thank you and no worries.  Dry suit obtained.  Pretty experienced on salt water, just not in a kayak.  I will be in PC next week Thursday though Sunday.  Would love to team up with someone more experienced in a kayak.  If so, first round is on me, afterwards!

dampainter

• Salmon
good that u got a dry suit,  good luck when u go, post up a report?