Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:47:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Trout and Bass fishing plans  (Read 1619 times)

IslandHoppa

• iHoppa
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2011
Heading to Sunriver Thursday and Mt. Hood area Sunday. Going to try and float the Deschutes and/or lake fish nearby. Then going to camp and try Trillium and Timothy lakes. Anyone have recent experience on either area or suggestions they're willing to share?
iHop

"Of all the things that wisdom provides to help one live one's entire life in happiness, the greatest by far is the possession of friendship." Epicurus

Hobie Tandem Island. OK Tetra 12, Jackson Coosa

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
I have not been up in that area in awhile, but remember you can't fish out of a boat on the Deschutes. Park and stand. It is a fun float though.

Timbeer

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Sep 2018
The end of Trillium opposite the dam was loaded with trout last year about this time. I was fly fishing using a small bead head. There is a log jam area up there- good spot.

IslandHoppa

• iHoppa
  • Sturgeon
I have not been up in that area in awhile, but remember you can't fish out of a boat on the Deschutes. Park and stand. It is a fun float though.

Actually, the Sunriver area is the one place where you can kayak fish the Deschutes, here's the regulation above Benham Falls:

Northern Boundary of the Warm Springs
Reservation to the Pelton Regulating
Reservoir.
• Open Apr 22 - Dec 31 for trout and
hatchery steelhead.
• 2 rainbow trout per day, 10 inch minimum
and 13 inch maximum length.
• Open for coho salmon Aug 1 - Dec 31.
• No limit on size or number of bass.
No angling from a floating device.
• See Lake Simtustus.
• Closed from Pelton Regulating Dam
downstream approx. 600 ft to ODFW
markers.

Lake Billy Chinook to Benham Falls
• Open all year for trout.

Benham Falls to Little Lava Lake
• Open May 22 - Sep 30.
• 2 trout per day, 8 inch minimum length
(including brook trout, brown trout,
hatchery rainbow trout, and kokanee).
• Wild rainbow trout must be released.
iHop

"Of all the things that wisdom provides to help one live one's entire life in happiness, the greatest by far is the possession of friendship." Epicurus

Nobaddays

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
I haven't got up there to try yet this year, but typically many of the high lakes like crane prairie, lava and davis fish really good right now.
Being retired, they pay me when I go fishing, therefore I am kind of a professional fisherman.

snopro

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
I've always wanted to fish that section of the D.  I know some big browns live there.

I haven't got up there to try yet this year, but typically many of the high lakes like crane prairie, lava and davis fish really good right now.

100% this.  Skip the Mt Hood lakes and hit some of the above.

IslandHoppa

• iHoppa
  • Sturgeon
Guys, thanks for the tips.

We're booked at Mt. Hood RV for next week but, who knows, maybe we'll stay in Sunriver if the bite is that good.

H
iHop

Shin09

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
I was at Timothy at the beginning of August and did well on trout by trolling dodgers and hoochies or wedding rings, tipped with powerbait, with 0 to 1/2oz of weight.  Kokanee were caught with dodgers and hoochies and 3 to 4oz of weight and garlic corn, but the largest koke I got was 7" and skinny, so not really worth it.    My guess is similar tactics would work now.   

With the big lakes in CO (Crane P, etc) the wind can get screaming and push up big waves and blow you off the lake.  Recommend checking the wind forecast if you go.Note on Crane, there are a lot of shallow stumps and snags so if you are taking your Island, watch out when sailing.    I went to Crane and the D in SunRiver on a family vacation a couple weeks ago.  The wind was terrible at crane but in certain areas you could catch baby bass with every cast along the shore with panfish gear (jig bobber).  We were in our rec/touring paddle boats so it was rough, but if we had the Tandem Island with us it would have been a blast.  Caught a few other medium size bass with cranks in some of the protected inlets.  Didn't try for trout. 

On the D we floated from the SR marina to the paddlers takeout (about a 3 hour float).  Tried fishing for trout that time, mostly with spinners.  Caught one small brown, but otherwise nada.  LOTS and lots of weeds.

IslandHoppa

• iHoppa
  • Sturgeon
Thanks for the nice reports and suggestions, Shin. My buddy from CA is kind of nervous about fishing from a kayak so he's balking on me. I'm reaching out to Wobbler who's moved to Bend to see if he's up for a try around Sunriver.

If not I'm probably going to just hit Timothy and/or Trillium when my CA buddy arrives there Sunday-Wednesday. Hate getting an OR out of state license this late in the year.
iHop

IslandHoppa

• iHoppa
  • Sturgeon
Trillium has some chunkers. Just got on the water a few hours and got this 17” and a few other decent bows. Hitting Timothy in the morning.
iHop

Matt M

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Trillium has some chunkers. Just got on the water a few hours and got this 17” and a few other decent bows. Hitting Timothy in the morning.

That's a nice chunk!! I haven't had a chance to get out to Trillium this year. I may have to make a trip before it's too chilly.
-Matt

Old Town Sportsman 120 PDL

trbro04

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Jul 2018
Hey Island Hopper,

Nice fish. What was your set up?  Trolling ford fenders/flashers?  Worm at the end of the hook?

IslandHoppa

• iHoppa
  • Sturgeon
Trolling a little copper blade.

We struggled at Timothy Lake, way better action at Trillium but really crowded. There was a good hatch Wednesday evening and we caught a lot with the fly rod. This little beauty hit my bass popper.
iHop