Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:27:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Ocean Fishing on S. WA Coast?  (Read 2835 times)

DARice

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Aug 2014
I've just moved from PDX to S. WA state. The downside is that makes my favorite ocean spot, Pacific City, just that much farther away, and I'd like to try different areas. Are there similar locations on the S. WA coast--protected beach launch, great fishing close in for rock fish and ling cod?

The coast South of La Push for a few miles and the point North of Moclips at the S end of the Copalis NWR look promising on maps, but I can't tell about access.

Thanks!
Dave

alpalmer

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
maybe Westport jetty,  search the reports,  there are some anglers who head out there
"A venturesome minority will always be eager to get off on their own,
and no obstacle should be placed in their path;
let them take risk, for God sake, let them get lost, sun burnt, stranded, drowned,
eaten by bears, buried alive under avalanches -
that is the right and privilege of any free American."
--Edward Abbey--

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
Be careful, a lot of that area around Copalis is tribal, disputed with charter companies out of Westport,  and sometimes just hard to acccess.  Near shore, in the Copalis Rocks area,  should be excellent rock fish and lingcod due to all the submerged rock structure. But, there's also a huge sand bottom transition in that area too. You'll know you're there when u start catching masses of red sand dabs and larger floundr. And it's also a good coho intercept point.
Hoping Wet Whopper will join in here. He'd been living just south of that general area the past few years and can be of better assistance than I can.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 05:24:32 PM by [WR] »
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

workhard

• Salmon
  • Get off your computer and fish
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
I fish the Westport Jetty. Launch at the beach at Westhaven towards the end of the ebb, fish the jetty on the flood and come back on the flood. Don't fish the ebb because it absolutely rips. Mind the wind, wind direction, swell and swell direction. Mostly blacks in there, I usually catch a limit ~45 mins on the opener in March.

Fish hard.

wetwhopper

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jun 2006
Ha! Better late than never. 😉 Sorry guys. Haven't checked in for a long time. I've been fishing off my boat as my kids were too young for saltwater kayak fishing on the coast.

I'm no expert but would suggest fishing from the Westport State park off the jetty or Ocean Shores which I'm more comfortable with.

Ocean Shores is easy access from Damon Point/Sunken Jetty. I like to fish an incoming tide inside the Dunkin jetty and then hop over to the outside if you're not limited out. Wind is the name of the game! Anything over 15mph forget it.

Surf launch is no prob otherwise. I'd advise against trying to launch from coast. You'll make it out but coming back sucks and in many places too shallow you'll hit sand and endo. If your not going to listen and have to learn the hard way (like me) at least wear a helmet. Don't ask me how I know.

Finally, light gear as your fishing between 10-25' feet. Sorry I'm late. 😉 I usually drop a couple pits the evening before if possible.

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
Good to see you back online, Rich....
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

wetwhopper

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jun 2006