Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:24:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Slayride 2018?  (Read 4716 times)

JasonM

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jun 2017
I am not seeing anyone posting for this, but it seems like it's still happening.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1979543829019261/

I missed out on the chum salmon last year and was hoping to get at them this year. This seems like a great opportunity to benefit a worthy cause and get to hang out with others with our kayak fishing addiction, but the fact that I'm not seeing anything on here about it is making me curious. Is anyone else from here going?

I'm considering heading down Friday morning from home here near Monroe and then driving back home Saturday night. That will let me learn the place on Friday and be ready for Saturday morning. I think that short stay disqualifies me from the "bunk house" or whatever it is at the Sunrise Motel, since that's a two-night minimum. I also haven't been on a trip with my kayak where the kayak wasn't in an enclosed garage before. How does everyone prevent theft and such? I don't really need a hotel room. I can sleep in my SUV at a campground. It would be nice to have water and power to recharge my fish finder battery, even if the water there isn't deep enough to actually need a fish finder.

Is there something I'm missing about this kayak fishing tournament? It's in WA and benefits Heroes on the Water, so I'm puzzled at why it's not getting any buzz on here.

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
All good questions, JasonM, hope to follow this thread and get some info.  I definitely can't make it this year, but it's been on my list of fun events- I'd like to go next year. 

What kind of tackle and techniques are used for chum catching?

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
Myself and a couple others planned on going but I am not sure if it will be a quick drive up in the morning and stay overnight, or a drive up Friday night and stay over and leaving Saturday evening.  I do not plan to spend two nights.  I plan to stay in a hotel nearby (Shelton maybe) if I do spend the night.  I just lock my yak on top the car with a cable lock.   

FISHBONE2755

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Jun 2014
Sorry for not announcing it here in this forum we were a little behind but are now up to speed and in place with all the details for our 2018 Chum Derby Slayride. all the info/rules/registration are on said Facebook link please "LIKE & Share" the 1st place prize is a 50/50 cash split between the derby participant and HOW NW Chapter and 2nd and 3rd will be prizes donated from sponsor at Sound Bikes and Kayaks, American Outdoors, Outdoor Emporium/Sportco, Ram mounts just to name a few. So please use the FB page to register in the messages tab and when paying for your entry fee with Paypal use "Send to Friend".

JasonM

• Lingcod
Thanks for the replies and messages. I think I should be set except for the jigs. Which ones should I pick up and where should I pick them up? I would rather not wait until the last minute to try to pick them up down near Hoodsport.

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
Thanks for the replies and messages. I think I should be set except for the jigs. Which ones should I pick up and where should I pick them up? I would rather not wait until the last minute to try to pick them up down near Hoodsport.

These or similar type.

https://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/sportsmans/Aerojig-Twitching-Jig/productDetail/Steelhead-Salmon-Jigs/prod99999030456/cat101108

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

Dark Tuna

• Lingcod
  • "Dark Tuna?"
  • Date Registered: Aug 2014
Perhaps because I’m on a mobile device I can only see a Facebook page summary unless I create an account.  Is there a way to make the page public?

2015 Jackson Big Tuna (tandem) (dark forest)
2016 Hobie Outback LE (screamin' orange)
2014 KC Kayaks K12 (the better half's, in camo)
2015 Jackson Kraken 13.5 (bluefin)

Raymarine Dragonfly; BB Angler Aces; Kokatat Hydrus 3L SuperNova Angler Dry Suit; Stohlquist Fisherman PFD

JasonM

• Lingcod
Thanks for all the info on this, everyone. Who all from NWKA is going to be at this event?

I'll be the guy that looks like this with the kayak in the picture who has never even seen a chum salmon in person before. I'm planning on being there by about noon or so on Friday to try to figure things out before the event on Saturday. If you see me, please introduce yourself. :)

KillerBeaver

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Sep 2018
Ill be there! This will be my 1st year as well but i wont be there till Saturday morning. I will be in a Red Camo Feel Free Lure 11.5.
2022 Hobie PA 14 360 Ike Edition
2020 Hobie Outback (Sold)
2018 Feel Free Lure 11.5 w/Overdrive (Sold)

Rockbottom

• Perch
  • Date Registered: May 2018
I will also try to get out there Friday.  I'm in a green Hobie...I'll be the idiot with a fly rod. 

JasonM

• Lingcod
Is anyone coming to this event who has a 2019 Outback? I'm trying to decide whether to do some more modifications to my current Pescador Pilot pedal kayak or go ahead and bite the bullet on the purchase of the 2019 Outback.

ballardbrad

• Salmon
  • Kayak Fishing Washington
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
Is anyone coming to this event who has a 2019 Outback? I'm trying to decide whether to do some more modifications to my current Pescador Pilot pedal kayak or go ahead and bite the bullet on the purchase of the 2019 Outback.

Yep.  I'll be there with my Papaya one.  David Nguyen has a Hibiscus.  Happy to let you take it for a spin.

JasonM

• Lingcod

Yep.  I'll be there with my Papaya one.  David Nguyen has a Hibiscus.  Happy to let you take it for a spin.
Awesome! I'll see you guys there!

Rockbottom

• Perch
  • Date Registered: May 2018
Just spent the morning at Hoodsport.  Really rough water and pretty windy.  Just to the point of whitecaps. Had to head back in after three hours as I don't have an anchor and it was pretty tough with a fly rod.  Saw a couple chum hooked up though from the beach.
Have fun tomorrow...wish I could give it a go too, but ....family first.

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
It was fun and the Chum I landed still had most of its face. It should smoke up real well.  It was one of those rare white Keta salmon ::) #zombiefish  But seriously, when the fish are in, it is a blast to fish there.  My goals was to catch a salmon on my inflatable this years and since damn near everything is closed in Oregon, this was a fun option.