Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:12:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Adjustable track mount for Scotty Rod Holder Mounts.  (Read 3211 times)

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
As a person that spends a lot of his fishing time trolling for salmon from a kayak, I was suffering a major first world problem.  I love the Scotty mounts and the Orca rod holder - especially with the Scotty Slip Disks - but with only 30 degrees per slot on the rod holder base (12 positions) my rod tip was either too far forward, or too far back. Not only that, but it was slightly different on the Hobie Outback vs. the Hobie Revolution since the mounts were in different positions.  As for the inflatable, that is a whole different mount for another thread. Anyways, I got bored one rainy winter day and designed the Mark I version, cut it from 1/8 inch aluminum.  It has two 15 degree arced slots at each of the two track mounting points. So, now I can adjust to my hearts content! I thought I was the smartest guy in the world.  I planned to test it with the brass toilet bolts and some knurled knobs I 3D printed (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:177400).

Then I mounted it. D-oh. It is not adjustable if the bolts on the underside attaching the rod mount are not countersunk, which is tough do do in 1/8" aluminum. The bolt heads hang up on the track taking away much of its adjustability.  :BangHead:

Mark II:

I did have an old cutting board which is made from HDPE plastic just like Starboard. So, Mark II was cut and the countersinks were added. The rod holder is attached with 4 machine screws.  I did not use stainless since I did not have any available at the time.  I planned to get some, but this thing has been used hard for two years and has had a lot of salmon yanking on it in salt water (mostly) and fresh and still no rust.  However, I always rinse my gear with freshwater after being on saltwater.  That being said, I just bought a pack of stainless to upgrade.

The countersinks on the bottom were crudely done by hand on this version.

MARK III

Since the mount has worked so well for me, I purchased some black Starboard, fired up the CNC, and made a couple more. I slightly changed the design, as well. The Mark II is on the left, the Mark III is on the right.  This would be easy to adjust to any brand of mount if I knew the hole spacing.

I'm sure the Smithsonian will be contacting me for the original prototype, so that has been securely stored away. This video may be a little detailed process-wise, but some nerds like me like details -- so here it is:

Finished product 1/4" thick (technically 6mm):

I also found some small pieces of 3/8" Starboard locally so I made a couple thicker ones.  If I was to make more, I would probably go with 3/8".  The HDPE is a bit more expensive than aluminum, but much quicker and easier to mill.  Also, HDPE is much easier on the cutters since it is self-lubricating (which is why it is used in bushings, etc...).  I also found another great use for the 1/4" Starboard.  I will write that up ASAP.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 06:31:11 PM by craig »

craig

• Sturgeon

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
Nice mounts!  If I get another kayak, I could take the rod holder bases I made for my Revolution which are described at http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=13167.msg144750#msg144750 and change the bolt holes into slots so they could hold my rods at right angles to the centerline of the new kayak.  Or better yet, just make a new set of bases for the new kayak.  There's a lot to be said for a fixed-angle base which can't slip out of alignment.

I mounted my Scotty side-deck mounts more or less at right angles to my gear tracks, rather than more or less parallel to my gear tracks, because I wanted to be able to position my rod holders as close as possible to the stern end of my gear tracks, so my rods would be easier to reach.

I'm waiting for a flood of kayakers to post descriptions of do-it-yourself bases for the 2019 Outback.  For example, it would be easy to make a rock solid downrigger base which attaches to the H-Bar and gear track in front of the seat on the 2019 Outback.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 08:13:26 AM by pmmpete »

craig

• Sturgeon
Thanks for the compliment. 

So far I have not had any slippage on mine.  I mount my fish finder on the same track as the rod holder and it is mounted closer to me.  On my inflatable, I put a 3D printed 1" ball in the closest track attachment slot to mount the FF on.  On this current one, I plan to use the 1" ball as the tightening mechanism for the rod holder mount to the track, then I will mount the FF on that ball after it has been tightened down.

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
You should call the RnD peeps at Scotty and see what they would give you for the Adjustable Track Mounting Plate design.

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

DWB123

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2013
Love it. I've got three I did myself which are pretty much exact copies of your Mark II, and i'm on about Year 7 of them right now and still going strong. Dollar store cutting board FTW.

craig

• Sturgeon
You should call the RnD peeps at Scotty and see what they would give you for the Adjustable Track Mounting Plate design.
I doubt they would pay anything when they can just copy the idea. I plan to post up the drawings and files on Thingiverse.com so people can make their own if they want.  I have a a bunch of starboard left over to make more if there is interest.

Love it. I've got three I did myself which are pretty much exact copies of your Mark II, and i'm on about Year 7 of them right now and still going strong. Dollar store cutting board FTW.
Can't beat the price!  I should go in there and see what colors they have for other things.

anything