Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:56:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Hello everyone  (Read 1214 times)

aweb1987

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Jun 2018
Hi everyone,
My name is Adam. I have been fishing the majority of my life, but I am very green to kayak fishing. Grew up in Ohio fishing the rivers and lakes for just about every freshwater species. Moved to the Edmonds area about 3yr ago and started out fishing fall run Salmon on the peninsula where my in-laws live. I snatched a PA14 off FB this summer and have been fishing Lake Tapps and the Skagit river while purchasing more gear. I just bought a drysuit and I am looking to buy a marine radio (nothing fancy, just  practical and durable). I am very interested in fishing for walleye and also fishing out off La Push and Neah Bay. I surf out their often and know how dangerous those waters can be, but was hoping some buddies would show me the ropes on how to safely fish that area. Lastly, I am planning to fish the Paterson primitive boat launch area on the Columbia Jan 12th for some walleyes ,weather permitting. First time on the Columbia River and that area looked to be an easy launch. Happy New Year everyone and hope to meet up with some of you to go fishing.

kaz

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Oct 2018
Hey Adam, welcome.    I too am relatively new to NWKA,  and I'm planning  to hit the Pacific Coast and Neah Bay this spring.  I have fished NB for several years (out of an outboard),  but this spring will be my first experience fishing with a yak.  If you have Facebook you might be interested in Kayak Fishing Addicts NW.  Several members of KFANW are veteran yak-fishers of NB,  and know the ropes.  They have meet-ups at Hobuck campground,  and hammer the bottom fish and halibut.  They would be a great source of info,  and they are a committed yak-fishing group.  There are also several videos on youtube.   

kaz (Glen)
Cape Falcon F1 (homemade, skin boat)
Trident 13
Necky Dolphin 14

aweb1987

• Plankton
Thanks for the info Kaz.

kaz

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Oct 2018
You're welcome, Adam.  Most of the yak-fishers at KFANW,  while camping at Hobuck,  launch their yaks at Makah Bay.  There's great bottom fishing in the Bay including halibut. 

If  beach-launching a PA14 is too difficult (I know they have launched PA's at Makah Bay) or the surf is running too high,  you can also launch your PA at the Makah Marina.  As you leave Neah Bay you'll see Waadah Island to your left.  Waadah Island  generally has a Northwesterly orientation.  Off the NW point there's a long reef which continues to follow the island's NW orientation.  It is rocky and full of excellent structure.  From the shore (rocks and kelp) out to 120+ the bottom fishing is  superb.  Most folks jig the bottom,  but I prefer a drop sinker (4-6 oz)  and a hunk of herring.  For several years,  I've done most of my fishing around Neah Bay.  It is truly that good.   During King season,  you can fish for Kings from the mouth of Neah Bay and around Waadah.  If the Kings aren't co-operating the bottom fish are always there.  Always.  Good luck.
Cape Falcon F1 (homemade, skin boat)
Trident 13
Necky Dolphin 14

Barhopper3

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Apr 2018
Hi Adam,
My name is Rob and I too am new to kayak angling.  I live in Ocean Park on the Long Beach peninsula and have a couple of PA12's that I bought last year. I also want to try fishing for walleye in the Columbia up near Patterson.  If you do end up going on the 12th I would be very interested in how you make out.  I have only fished near Plymouth and out of a power boat.  Your report would be most appreciated.

aweb1987

• Plankton
Thanks for all the detailed info Kaz I really appreciate it. Rob, I’m  hoping the pass isn’t too bad next Friday and there is light winds. My plan is to try some blade baits,  assortment of jigs and maybe a slow death setup. I will definitely give you a report.

Jimbob45

• If you don’t take that first step to the next adventure, you’ll never go anywhere.
  • Herring
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
Hi everyone,
My name is Adam. I have been fishing the majority of my life, but I am very green to kayak fishing. Grew up in Ohio fishing the rivers and lakes for just about every freshwater species. Moved to the Edmonds area about 3yr ago and started out fishing fall run Salmon on the peninsula where my in-laws live. I snatched a PA14 off FB this summer and have been fishing Lake Tapps and the Skagit river while purchasing more gear. I just bought a drysuit and I am looking to buy a marine radio (nothing fancy, just  practical and durable). I am very interested in fishing for walleye and also fishing out off La Push and Neah Bay. I surf out their often and know how dangerous those waters can be, but was hoping some buddies would show me the ropes on how to safely fish that area. Lastly, I am planning to fish the Paterson primitive boat launch area on the Columbia Jan 12th for some walleyes ,weather permitting. First time on the Columbia River and that area looked to be an easy launch. Happy New Year everyone and hope to meet up with some of you to go fishing.

Hi Adam,  and welcome.  I live up here on the Columbia in the Tri-Cities not far from paterson and walleye fishing is my one of my mainstays here.  Patterson is currently so so as far as producing fish but they are definitely there.  They should start staging anytime off Paterson point.  Up closer to the dam between the bridge and the dam they are doing pretty well on plugs and some jigging on the Oregon side.  if you have a Washington lic the fish are really turning on out in front of the peninsula just north of the walulla pulp mill.  The plug bite is really going strong right now.  Feel free to shoot me a email if you want and I will pass any info I can like launch sites and such. The boat ramps can be a bit of a peddle to the good spots for us kayak anglers. 

Hobie outback
Hobie Pro Angler

1st  2018 Chum Derby
1st 2018 AOTY 1966 pts

Jimbob45

• If you don’t take that first step to the next adventure, you’ll never go anywhere.
  • Herring
Hi everyone,

Hi Adam,  and welcome.  I live up here on the Columbia in the Tri-Cities not far from paterson and walleye fishing is my one of my mainstays here.  Patterson is currently so so as far as producing fish but they are definitely there.  They should start staging anytime off Paterson point.  Up closer to the dam between the bridge and the dam they are doing pretty well on plugs and some jigging on the Oregon side.  if you have a Washington lic the fish are really turning on out in front of the peninsula just north of the walulla pulp mill.  The plug bite is really going strong right now.  Feel free to shoot me a email if you want and I will pass any info I can like launch sites and such. The boat ramps can be a bit of a peddle to the good spots for us kayak anglers. 

Hobie outback
Hobie Pro Angler

1st  2018 Chum Derby
1st 2018 AOTY 1966 pts

Coulee kayaker

• Herring
  • Date Registered: May 2016
Great video! My wife and I are relocating to Kennewick at the end of the month.
Thanks for posting the video and information on the walleye fishery.

Jimbob45

• Herring
Great video! My wife and I are relocating to Kennewick at the end of the month.
Thanks for posting the video and information on the walleye fishery.

Look up Tricity Kayak Anglers (TCKA) when you get to Kennewick if you haven’t and be sure to look me up!  ( Jim Davis) It’s always awesome to get another person in the area.   The walleye fishing is really starting to pick up.  If you like I can show you some good places. 
Hobie outback
Hobie Pro Angler

1st  2018 Chum Derby
1st 2018 AOTY 1966 pts

Coulee kayaker

• Herring
  • Date Registered: May 2016
Jim,
I just sent you an email....

anything