Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:08:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Tillamook Bay Sunday?  (Read 1510 times)

trbro04

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Jul 2018
Just feeling the waters to see if anyone had any thoughts on Tilly Bay for some rock fishing on Sunday?  Weather supposed to be good.

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
12:09pm low tide will put you out there rather late as you won’t want to launch much before 9:00-10:00 and it gets windy in the afternoons.

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

trbro04

• Herring
Yep, thanks Mojo!  Hope your well!

minnowmagnet

• Lingcod
  • aka That F'n minnowmagnet
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
I was out there fooling around on the south jetty today. If you make it out on Sunday, don't forget your crab traps because the crabbing is excellent right now. Quick limit and some nice firm specimens.
It was a little bit of work getting on the rockfish bite, but I did well around the tide swing with some above average sized bay-crappie and several decent greenling.
Wind never picked up...

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Stayed pretty calm all day for wind today, not sure of the wind forecast for Sunday but today was obviously a good day for “F’N Minnowmagnet”

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

Stinger Hook

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
I'll be out there tomorrow.

Planning on launching around 9.30 am.

Forecast seems great with sun, temps in the mid fifties and NO wind all day (surely afternoon will be calm)
Also from some boaters i heard that crabbing is great, so i ll bring two pots.

Trbro04, still thinking of going?

Eric

Guppy Tamer

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jun 2011

trbro04

• Herring
I did not go today.  Should have though.  Found a ripped seal on my drysuit and going to take it in.  But, its starting to get that time of year.  I pretty game whenever anyone wants to go to Tilly or PC.  Looking forward to a great year!

Stinger Hook

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
Last year my first trip from PC was on Easter day. Hopefully we don't have to wait that long this year......

Quick report of Sunday's (crabbing) trip to Tillamook Bay.

Short version: it sucked.
Longer version. I didn't expect to make it out this weekend as we had other plans, but after talking about the good crabbing reports the plans got changed and I got the OK to go fishing instead. The freezer is in dire need of fresh fish and even more in need of fresh crab cakes. Banking on "100% guaranteed" crabbing success my wife already bought crab cake mix and other ingredients needed to make crab cakes.

After I had prepped my kayak, I found my fish finder not working. Quick troubleshooting revealed the root cause: my battery pack (kept in a cheap zip-lock bag that apparently had become wet the previous time i tool my kayak out) had turned into one giant corroded mess. So I had to fish "blind".

Because i had no fish finder and because there hardly was anyone at the south wall (i had scouted the bay from the 101 prior to go to the kayak launch and only saw 1 power boat in that area) I decided to go to Crab Harbor, also because i knew the depths there pretty well. Being pretty heavy loaded with two traps I made a last minute decision to put the rod back in the car (expecting to have a full time job on pulling traps and sorting crabs).

Stupid move....

From  a friend i got a bait barrel before he moved out of state. It looked kind of interesting (crabs can smell the bait but not really eat it) and it was a "glow in the dark". So i decided to use this "miracle bait barrel" in one of  the traps. Not sure what he did to the barrel but in this trap I did not catch a single (undersized) crab! I pulled it three or four times with absolutely nothing to show for. The other trap always had some crabs, and a handful was just a hair or even less too small to hit the minimum size...but also here in the end empty handed. So  i looked kind of stupid when i got home:-(

It was a zoo in Crab Harbor with tons of traps out (and in general catches were not great). There were a few clowns using floating rope. It is pretty visible when standing in a power boat, but when in a kayak and much closer to the water you often only notice it when you are on top of it. I became quite good at quickly pulling my mirage drive or rudder to avoid chaos. Luckily no real tangles.

Temperature was great, wind was light, but water was surprisingly choppy on the way back to the kayak launch.

In hindsight I obviously never should have left the rod in the car.  I won't make that mistake anymore....

False kayak start of the year, so it can only get better moving forward