Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:10:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: It finally happened.. I got seasick on the kayak... and that was just the start  (Read 2126 times)

JasonM

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jun 2017
It was one of those days, one of the few days on the water that I'd happily forget...  ::)

I headed to Golden Gardens today to test a few things, and finish up a video on catching striped perch while I was there chasing salmon. The forecast said it was going to be nearly perfect, with blue skies and light winds. The blue skies were definitely there, and the winds didn't seem terrible... but the water was rough, and I don't fully understand why. It was a challenge to keep my bow pointed into the waves the whole day, and my kayak got pounded that whole time. High tide was just before 10:00AM and I was on the water by about 8:30 AM or so. Before, during and after high slack, the waves were all going the same direction and were all big and breaking.

I started getting motion sick out by the green buoy and was trying to fight through it by watching the beach in the distance, breathing deeply and cooling off a bit. I succeeded in resisting the urge to throw up, but it wasn't long before there was another urge that was building and would not be resisted. I turned and headed for the boat ramp, as it has two bathrooms that usually aren't occupied. I arrived none too soon, and the nausea was back due to having the weaves hitting the kayak from the rear heaving me up and down in slow, large rhythms. I tied up the kayak and was happy to be on firm group as I ran to take care of business. I thankfully made it there and decided to just sit on the dock in the sheltered marina area for a bit.

No salmon and lots of motion sickness made for a fairly miserable day, but it was about to get worse. I had my kayak tied up out near the end so I would be out of everyone's way and was sitting on the dock with my feet in the kayak when a big boat came in to take out. If you have never seen the docks by the boat ramp at Golden Gardens, they are long. There was easily enough room to fit five or six large boats between my kayak and the ramp, but this boat seemed to be coming in close to the end where I was.... and kept coming. Before I could even get my kayak untied and moved out of the way, the boat sidewiped my kayak and smashed it between the big boat and the dock. As the big boat slid along my kayak, it cleaned everything of the rails on the right side, including my rod holder and my fish finder. The rod holder broke off and went in the water, never to be seen again. The fish finder (my new Lowrance Elite 7 Ti2) got knocked off of its mount and nearly went in the water also. The transducer cable got pulled out of the back of the unit, but thankfully the power cable hung on well enough to save it. I am thankful that I have the BerleyPro visor on it. I'm sure the screen would have taken some damage otherwise. A couple trim pieces fell off the front of the unit as it got smacked into the kayak, but miraculously they went back on with little trouble and seem secure.

The pilot of the boat did come to see what was damaged. I mentioned that my rod holder had broken off and went in the water, and was trying to determine damage to the fish finder when he handed me $20 and walked away saying "that's about what a Scotty rod holder costs" even though mine had extensions and the friction disks. I was too worried about the fish finder and too sick to tell him to go &#$* himself or throw him in the water. A passenger on the boat did come over a few minutes later to make sure everything was taken care of, apologized on behalf of his buddy, and was actually nice about it. By the time he came over, I had the fish finder mounted and turned on. I was still really mad but didn't want to take it out on the passenger, so I got back in the kayak and pedaled away.

A 30-minute tour of the protected water area behind the breakwater had the nausea mostly gone so I decided to head out and get some video of catching striped perch on the outside of the breakwater. It only took about 30 more minutes before I decided to call it a day. The motion sickness was back and I had not gotten a single nibble from the striped perch that I thought were always there, until today.

Yeah... today sucked. If I hadn't caught several sanddabs when I was trying to catch blackmouths, I would have had a skunk on top of being sick and having stuff broken by a careless and clueless boat pilot.

On a barely bright note,  I did get to test the 2019 Outback in rough water, though. Out of multiple hours with waves coming over the bow, only about four ounces of water got inside the front hatch. Luckily I had a garbage bag in the front hatch to toss a salmon in if I got a keeper, and that bag caught all of the water so the inside of the hull was still bone dry.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 09:38:53 PM by JasonM »

JasonM

• Lingcod
I just found out from my daughter that she had the same symptoms in the same order strike her starting on Friday night, so that explains why I got motion sick today when I never have before... and am feeling it again now.

the quadfather

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Jul 2011
Man oh man, that is just an AWFUL day on the water!  Sure sucks to be sick, but even more so when you are in the confines of your kayak, as well as proximity to the can.  (Restroom.. not green can). (-:

But...  what the...??!!  The guy who just runs your parked vessel over.
I find myself just sitting here and trying to compare it to if you were parked on a street, and a driver takes off your whole left side, then hands you 20 bucks for his vision of your troubles, and merrily goes down the road.   You’d almost think you’d take a license plate #, or there would be an insurance call coming or something.  (Again, I’m talking about being on a street in your car).   But unfortunately most people probably don’t insure their kayak, and traffic cops aren’t so likely patrolling the marina.

I guess all a person can do is try to implore to the guy how much of an idiot he has just been.
Obviously you know the way boat ramps work... when you launch, you move your vessel out far from launch area.. keep it clear.  When you are coming in, you park again far from launch area, and then move your vessel down into retrieve area when you are ready for pull out.

I know you weren’t pulling out, but you were totally legit being where you were.

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Karma will get the douche bag back for you, for sure.  ;)

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
That's terrible. What a d-bag at the ramp. Confrontation isn't fun for most of us in the best circumstances but when you're physically ill it's 10x harder to deal with that stuff. It's always 1 jerk for 10 decent guys but it sure seems like that 1 jerk finds you.

I realize it's easy to make a big deal out of stuff when it didn't happen to you, but if you got his license plate it might be worth talking to the police. Was the guy drinking? I mean, something caused him to misjudge the landing.

sumpNZ

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011
The last ORC I went to (2017) I pre-fished the Friday before.  I think I finally called it quits after puking for the 5th time.  Then, just because it's how these things go, I puked a 6th time on the way back to the harbor.  And that was with sea sickness meds.  I don't let it stop me from going out though.  I just figure I need to go out a lot more so I can get over the sea sickness.

Anyway, sorry to hear you had such a difficult day.  And, as mentioned, karma will eventually catch up with the PB driver.
2012 ORC 5th Place

JasonM

• Lingcod
The last ORC I went to (2017) I pre-fished the Friday before.  I think I finally called it quits after puking for the 5th time.  Then, just because it's how these things go, I puked a 6th time on the way back to the harbor.  And that was with sea sickness meds.  I don't let it stop me from going out though.  I just figure I need to go out a lot more so I can get over the sea sickness.
Ugh.. that sounds way worse than my day. That was my first time getting seasick on the kayak, and in hindsight I'm sure that it happened because I already had whatever stomach bug it was that had my daughter down. I was still feeling it the next day, too. The coincidental timing with that stomach bug and me being out in the worst constant waves that I've braved in a kayak was a one-two punch that definitely got the best of me. I hope I don't ever have to go through that again, and I also hope that you figure yours out. Having that happen every time would make me less likely to get out on the salt.

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
Jason, even though I pretty much have my "greenies" under control with Scopace and don't seem to have the urge to hurl anymore, I still carry a puke bag.

I picked up one of those small ripstop drybags from Walmart and cut the bottom off and resewed it shut so it would be falt on the bottom. Certainly didn't need volume, nor the bulk.  I just roll it up tight and clip it around my left PFD shoulder strap.

When in use, I can just hold it up in front of my face and catch the expelled.  This eliminates all the mess on my suit and kayak and also keeps me from leaning over the side to puke. Leaning over the side is dangerous enough without being weak and green.  Once I am done, I just reach down and fill with water. Swash it around and rinse it out right there in the ocean.  I keep a small bottle of JoyUltra on board, so it's easy to wash it out really good before the day on the water is over.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

the quadfather

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Jul 2011
Jason, even though I pretty much have my "greenies" under control with Scopace and don't seem to have the urge to hurl anymore, I still carry a puke bag.

I picked up one of those small ripstop drybags from Walmart and cut the bottom off and resewed it shut so it would be falt on the bottom. Certainly didn't need volume, nor the bulk.  I just roll it up tight and clip it around my left PFD shoulder strap.

When in use, I can just hold it up in front of my face and catch the expelled.  This eliminates all the mess on my suit and kayak and also keeps me from leaning over the side to puke. Leaning over the side is dangerous enough without being weak and green.  Once I am done, I just reach down and fill with water. Swash it around and rinse it out right there in the ocean.  I keep a small bottle of JoyUltra on board, so it's easy to wash it out really good before the day on the water is over.

Man, that’s what I call a ‘be prepared Boy Scout’. 
Jig..jig... hurl... rinse...   go back to jigging.  :blob10:

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon

Not as much a prepared Boy Scout, rather I learned really quick what sucks beyond the actual puke fest and that is the cleanup, or pulled side muscles.  Just had to make the process of getting sick less crappy overall by removing the areas of failure that I have control of.

Ultimately I use Scopace and can handle the ocean without concern of getting sick anymore. 

But, I still have puke bag on me just in case.

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014

Not as much a prepared Boy Scout, rather I learned really quick what sucks beyond the actual puke fest and that is the cleanup, or pulled side muscles.  Just had to make the process of getting sick less crappy overall by removing the areas of failure that I have control of.

Ultimately I use Scopace and can handle the ocean without concern of getting sick anymore. 

But, I still have puke bag on me just in case.
I gust yak down the drive hole on the Native kayak, but if I do go sideways I’m actually pretty good at projectiling it and keep a leashed measuring cuuo for bloody deck rinse and to wet my wetsuit if I’m getting hot.  :spittake:

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”