Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 07:15:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 15, 2024, 03:27:21 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 15, 2024, 07:27:41 AM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

[April 02, 2024, 09:39:30 AM]

[April 01, 2024, 12:06:53 PM]

[March 29, 2024, 08:19:21 PM]

[March 29, 2024, 08:17:12 PM]

by Spot
[March 29, 2024, 03:34:50 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Regulations for Oregon recreational Crab Traps?  (Read 2428 times)

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I think I'll try a bit of crabbing this year and I have my eye on a trap that's 18x18x12, smaller than a Danielson, and since they cost only $5 more than a Danielson (when they're not on sale) it looks interesting.

I've read through the regulations and the administrative rules and didn't see any regulations for recreational traps.  Are there requirements - like the rot cord required on commercial traps - for recreational traps?

I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
I thought it was a requirement to have the rot cord in OR but looking through the regs several places I don't see it either.

You do not have to put your name on your buoys in OR (like you do in WA) and you also don't have to use any particular color/type of buoy. So you're pretty much set.

Of course none of the above is an indication of what you should do. I suggest durable buoys with at least your name on it, if for no other reason than to avoid confusion.

Trident 13

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
While a rot cord holding one door on or stretched over another opening might not be a legal requirement, I lost my first trap this year in 30 years of crabbing.  I'm sure I lost it to a rotten boater, but kelp can carry them away and there's really no sense to risk leaving a perpetual killing machine out there somewhere if it happens.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
Thank you, Cap'n.  I couldn't find any special requirements for Oregon traps, either, but I'm a babe in the woods and I appreciate hearing the same from folks with experience.

T13, using rot cord, even if not required, is a really good suggestion, and especially for someone trying it for the first time.  I have visions of knots coming undone and buoys getting loose and crabs going to waste...  This is the first I've heard of kelp carrying pots away, but now that I've heard it, it doesn't surprise me.  Some of the biggest fish I've fought when surf fishing turned out to be kelp.  Thank you.

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
While a rot cord holding one door on or stretched over another opening might not be a legal requirement, I lost my first trap this year in 30 years of crabbing.  I'm sure I lost it to a rotten boater, but kelp can carry them away and there's really no sense to risk leaving a perpetual killing machine out there somewhere if it happens.

+1

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
You would also likely have to clip off the hooks that hold the side in place on the Danielson style traps. It wouldn't do much good to have the cord rot away if the side is still being held in place by the hooks.

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
I don't have a trap, yet.  I heard a rumor - the guy at Bi-Mart - that they'll be on sale in a couple of weeks and I'm waiting them out.  I'm guessing you're talking about removing the hinges from the trap door on top of the trap, where we remove the crabs?

That seems to be the smartest place to use cotton rot cord.  Thank you for that.

crash

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
I can show you how to do it next window if you want to fish Brookings. I even have some extra straps.

On the danielson trap all you do is dremel off the hooks holding one side on, wrap a large rubber band strap, tie a short piece of rotten cotton onto the other end of the rubber strap, and tie a plastic hook to the other end of the short piece of rotten cotton.

Don’t google rotten cotton.  It’s 120# untreated cotton. That you can safely google.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
Thank heavens you stopped me just before I clicked to search on rotten cotton.  I shudder to think where that might have led.

Thank you, crash.  I do hope to join you in Brookings on one of your trips.

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
All of the folding Danielson traps I've seen come pre-rigged with an escape ring tied with cotton. You don't have to do anything with the sides. I'm not saying it's not a good idea, I'm just saying you can sleep at night knowing they come set up to allow crabs to escape (eventually) if they are lost.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
This is really good to know, Cap'n.  Thanks again.

anything