Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:42:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Could this be the year for kayak tuna?  (Read 3929 times)

Kyle M

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
They're catching tuna off southern Oregon in 62 degree water. That's only a few miles offshore now. Something to keep an eye on. :embarassed:

Clayman

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
Yesterday, the water at the 140 foot contour out of Depoe Bay was 63 degrees.  There were huge mackerel chasing bait on the surface.  But the water was still the typical nearshore green color.  The forecasted north winds this week may chill things again.

That being said, I too will be keeping an eye on it  8).
aMayesing Bros.

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
If I recall correctly, tuna came to within 13miles one year (offshore from Depoe).  That's still a long distance for me to be self supported in a kayak.  A mothership has it's own challenges with deploying and retrieving kayaks and launching close enough to a school that you can get into some fish before they move or you get swarmed by sharks (eating your chum or tracking the blood).  Tuna also require lots of ice, so there's a practical limit to how many tuna a kayak could carry and the tuna still be edible.  I don't think I can fit a half tote on my revo.  Pretty sure I'd want to keep more than one tuna if I was kayaking!

Tinman rowed his wherry to the Oregon tuna grounds last year - it was an epic feat of endurance and seamanship!

Kayakers catch tuna offshore from Florida - the tuna water is a little closer for them compared to Oregon.

MonkeyFist

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
I was 4 miles off PC Sat, unsuccessfully prospecting for halibut, blue sharks and mackerel are here,  I'd love to have a chance for tuna

ndogg

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • "Fists of Fury"
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
I saw 2 lost tuna a few years back several miles off PC.  They were gone before I could get my gear to the surface. 

sumpNZ

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011
I'll hopefully be trying for kayak tuna in August.  Though it'll be ahi.  Off Kauai.   :-*
2012 ORC 5th Place

Lutefisk

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
As mentioned above, 62 degree water and mackerels and sharks 4 miles off PC last weekend. I had a blast catching mackerel, kept 3, one guy looked at me with disgust. I thought they might smoke up okay. Wow I was wrong!! Barely choked down the first bite. Threw them in the compost bin.

MurseStrong

• Lingcod
  • 2009 OK T11 2016 Hobie Revo 13 2018 Hobie Revo 13
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
As mentioned above, 62 degree water and mackerels and sharks 4 miles off PC last weekend. I had a blast catching mackerel, kept 3, one guy looked at me with disgust. I thought they might smoke up okay. Wow I was wrong!! Barely choked down the first bite. Threw them in the compost bin.

Awesome Lutefisk! That Mackerel fishery sound like a blast & a new bucket list to try. I’ve rarely appreciated them as table fare, mostly raw in sushi, but they have their place. The only way I’ve liked them is lightly fried crispy with a robust fresh tomato, caper, and garlic sauce. This is how they serve Mackerel in Ligurian cuisine out of the Tyrrhenian Sea.
Hugh
If You Know The Answer, Ask Bigger Questions

"You are killing me, fish, the old man thought. But you have a right to. Never have I seen a greater, or more beautiful, or a calmer or more noble thing than you, brother."
-The Old Man and the Sea

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
Unfortunately the chloro charts don't show the right water anywhere close enough to the shore.  So it would be a crap shoot.

Regarding mackerel, I love me some mackerel.  Two styles I particularly like are Saba Shioyaki (salt grilled mackerel) and Daing na Bangus style, but using mackerel instead of Bangus.  In this style, the fish is marinated overnight in vinegar, garlic, salt, and pepper, then fried.

-Allen

sumpNZ

• Sturgeon
Unfortunately the chloro charts don't show the right water anywhere close enough to the shore.  So it would be a crap shoot.

Regarding mackerel, I love me some mackerel.  Two styles I particularly like are Saba Shioyaki (salt grilled mackerel) and Daing na Bangus style, but using mackerel instead of Bangus.  In this style, the fish is marinated overnight in vinegar, garlic, salt, and pepper, then fried.

-Allen

Is ono similar enough to mackeral that you would use the same recipes, or is it different enough to support other methods?
2012 ORC 5th Place

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon

-Allen

Is ono similar enough to mackeral that you would use the same recipes, or is it different enough to support other methods?

Nope, ono is much different.  The above works well with most small to medium "silver" fish.  Think herring, sardines, mackerel, shad, and even planter trout.

-Allen

sumpNZ

• Sturgeon

-Allen

Nope, ono is much different.  The above works well with most small to medium "silver" fish.  Think herring, sardines, mackerel, shad, and even planter trout.

-Allen

Since ono are supposed to be there by Kauai in good numbers in August hopefully I'll hook into some.  What are some popular methods for cooking and serving ono?
2012 ORC 5th Place

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon

-Allen

-Allen

Since ono are supposed to be there by Kauai in good numbers in August hopefully I'll hook into some.  What are some popular methods for cooking and serving ono?

Actually ono shioyaki is quite good.  I wouldn't do the Daing style on it though.  When in the Islands, can't beat grilled ono with mango or papaya salsa.  Or sushi.  Or poke.  Think Hawaiian Style.  You will be there after all!  And cut the fillets on an angle, sort of steaking them out, skin on ... it just looks nice!

-Allen

sumpNZ

• Sturgeon

-Allen

-Allen

Actually ono shioyaki is quite good.  I wouldn't do the Daing style on it though.  When in the Islands, can't beat grilled ono with mango or papaya salsa.  Or sushi.  Or poke.  Think Hawaiian Style.  You will be there after all!  And cut the fillets on an angle, sort of steaking them out, skin on ... it just looks nice!

-Allen

Awesome!

Other than sushi and poke, what do you like for ahi preparations?  Hoping for a good sleigh ride from a big yellow fin.
2012 ORC 5th Place

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon

-Allen

-Allen

-Allen

Awesome!

Other than sushi and poke, what do you like for ahi preparations?  Hoping for a good sleigh ride from a big yellow fin.

For ahi and albacore (bringing this full circle), I really like variations on sushi.  Take a cut that yields small medallions, dip it for a few seconds in a pot of boiling water, then cut thin medallions and arrange.  Some people like to sear on a grill and I do to, but dipping in boiling water results in a more consistent product.  Take some thin slices of sweet onions (or regular onions that have been soaked in water to reduce the onion zing), shake them out, then arrange over the top.  Drizzle with ponzu sauce.  Top with toasted sesame seeds.  Serve with wasabi.

Or if you like grilled tuna, marinade in your favorite Italian Dressing before grilling.

Party favorite ... bacon wrapped on a toothpick, grilled or in a cast iron pan, then drizzled with Heinz 57.  Yes, use Heinz 57, not sure why that ends up so much better than generic BBQ sauce.

Shall I keep going, or wait for you to catch up?   >:D

-Allen

anything