Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:57:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Poll

Do you pedal or paddle

Pedal
Paddle
Both

Topic: How many of you paddle??  (Read 72643 times)

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Let's hear it?  Who still paddles? 

If I went by current posts, it would appear that pedalers are the majority here.  So, all you paddlers stand up and be counted!    Especially if you're a lurker. 

Thanks!
-Spot-
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

Dray

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011
Both...does that count?
Dave

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
My single is a paddle, my tandem is a peddle.

Honestly that's mostly due to budget, though. The long term plan is to get a Revo 13 for my single boat. That said, I really enjoy paddling. I just find it harder to fish, although after doing it for a while it's getting easier. The rub is that rod holders would/will help, but ironically get more in the way the more you paddle (IMHO).

micahgee

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2011
I own both pedal and paddle kayaks and do both. I paddle to play in the surf and pedal to troll for trout/kokanee.
“A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

www.heroesonthewater.org

snopro

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
Like RumLuck wrote, if I do both does it count?  I don't see it as a pick one type question.  Use the best tool for the job.

I spend most of my fishing time pedaling but I still paddle on occasion.  I find the feeling of getting into a good paddle cadence on flat water very relaxing, especially when in a fast boat.  There is no way I'd ever try to pedal whitewater or surf.  Paddling in those conditions for sure.

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
Added a poll.

-Allen

Widgeonmangh

• Lingcod
  • Fishing Kayaks of Gig Harbor
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
Paddle here.  Of course that is the only option on the Wavewalk, but that being said, it paddles very easy and I am not stuck in one position.  Standing up and stretching out is really nice.

Fish on the right side that's where the fish are! John 21:6

I am no longer a dealer for Wavewalk but if you ever want to paddle one let me know!

yaktastic

• A cowboy in a kayak? I never was normal.
  • Salmon
  • shut up and let me fish.
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
Paddle +1. I bought a paddle kayak when I started to see if I liked it b4 I went all out and bought a hobie mirage drive.I like the workout to be honest.
4th place 2017 TBKD Rockfish.

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
... That said, I really enjoy paddling. I just find it harder to fish, although after doing it for a while it's getting easier. The rub is that rod holders would/will help, but ironically get more in the way the more you paddle (IMHO).

Good points CR.  I think a lot of people feel the same way.  There is more of a learning curve to paddling for fish.  That said though, if your cockpit is set-up correctly, a paddle kayak can open up techniques that aren't easy options on a pedal kayak.

Keep em coming guys!

-Spot-
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

• WS Commander 120, OK Trident 13, Revo 13
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
Spot/Allen-

You forgot to add the option "I'm a purist; peddling is cheating and therefore no longer kayaking" or "motorized" >:D
Better to keep ones mouth shut and presumed a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
<Proverbs>

sumpNZ

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011
Paddler here.  But not entirely by choice.  If I could afford a Hobie I'd have one.  Though if I did have a pedal yak I'd still keep the paddle yaks for when they work the best.
2012 ORC 5th Place

FireFly

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
Im still a total newb to this. I pedal only because I was lucky enough to sell off the dirtbike addiction for the kayak I wanted. but will soon be trying to get my hands on T13 or something similar.
Red Hobie Outback

2019 AOTD 5th place

polyangler

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
Both here! 3 of 5 boats are paddle craft, but those pedals are nice to have!!

South Sounders drink up!!  ;D  >:D
[img width=100 height=100]http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy131/saltyplastic/NEMrod

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
I use a paddle from time to time.  Sometimes a paddle has an advantage in certain situations, like going through a swampy shit hole to a duck hunting spot.

Agreed, south Sounders, take your shot!

YakBum

• Lingcod
  • guided by Wind and Emotion
  • http://www.heroesonthewater.org
  • Date Registered: Jul 2012
I swing whichever way is most effective for the purpose I am using it for.  Allegiance to the sport doesn't mean only using one kind of boat, a broad repitoire of abilities and capabilities means a much wider scope of situations that you can effectively fish. 
Call me FIL THE CHUB MASTER!

anything