Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:45:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Great day fly fishing the salt  (Read 2521 times)

Nobaddays

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
Today was about as nice as it gets fishing Pacific City. Very small surf, almost no swells, no wind and lots of whales to watch. Like many other trips out in the ocean, I took my jigging rod with lots of heavy jigs, but also threw in a couple fly rods just in case the conditions were right.  Well, the conditions were right.  I fished the entire time with only my fly gear and never touched the lures.

I fished between shore and the rock, mostly in about 45 ft of water.  There were lots of bait clouds in the water and some really good schools of rock fish.  I was using some large bait fish flies with fast sink line.  It was pretty steady catching all day.  I caught my first keeper lingcod on a fly and got my biggest fly caught rock fish of the year.  Most of the rock fish were 16-18 inches. I caught about 30 rockfish.

I finished the day with a smooth surf landing.  It doesn't get much better than that.
Being retired, they pay me when I go fishing, therefore I am kind of a professional fisherman.

Deluxeharley

• Lingcod
  • "Live like Ron"
  • Date Registered: Jun 2011
Nice report. Thanks.

I’m curious as to what your flys look like. Never tried that before. How much weighted line do you use.
My New Motto is.... "Live like Ron"

Nobaddays

• Lingcod

I’m curious as to what your flys look like. Never tried that before. How much weighted line do you use.

These are like the flies I used today.  All caught fish.  The lingcod was caught on the biggest fly.  The fly line I have is just a full sink, fast sinking line, no added weighted line.  The flies all had weighted eyes.  I usually had about 30-40 ft of line out and was only moving slightly forward against the current.
Being retired, they pay me when I go fishing, therefore I am kind of a professional fisherman.

BugNerd

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Jul 2018

Nobaddays

• Lingcod
Kind of a funny picture.  I'm not actually catching tiny boats.

I even got Stinger Hook sucked into the fun, but I will let him tell his story.

surf12foot

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011
Sweet isn't it :headbang:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Scott

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
WAY TO GO, Nobaddays!  And congratulations on your lingcod.  I'm still caught in the "I halfway caught a lingcod" stage because I've hooked them and got them up to where I can see them, but have not yet managed put one in the boat.

Nicely done.

Nice report. Thanks.

The flies I use aren't different than Nobaddays other than small variations from individual tying techniques.

I use a set-up more like folks use for spey-casting - a level running line to which I attach 12'-18' of T-18 sink tips.  If there's any advantage to using a two-part line over an integrated sinking line, it might be that it allows one to quickly adjust the weight of the sink tip to match the speed of the current.  But the advantage of an integrated line, and it's a significant advantage, is that a two-part line is very different (and not all that easy) to cast - and it's not always fun to be ducking and dodging in a kayak.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

MonkeyFist

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
Not many days like this. 
Almost fell asleep trolling for salmon, unsuccessfully.

Stinger Hook

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
With everyone else posting pics to show how flat the ocean was i am attaching one as well:-). It was an absolutely gorgeous day on the water, with a few whales to keep us company.

I started the morning trolling for salmon, but after zero action in almost two hours I switched to bottom fishing. The first three fish were hooked in deep water (and felt like lings or cabs) but unfortunately got off before i got to see them. So i was getting a little frustrated with myself and it felt good when i finally got my first fish (rockfish) in the kayak and on the stringer. I then decided that it would make more sense to reverse the way i had rigged the fish on the stringer, and in my effort to correct this the fish jumped out of my hands....I guess no need need to clarify that these mistakes are deadly on a kayak....So now i was REALLY frustrated with myself. A few min later I again had a rockfish on board, and it was actually the biggest one i had ever caught. It was a pig. Having learned from my previous mistake i made sure that this one didn't get away:-)
In a distance i saw Nobaddays working the area between the rock and the shore. I headed over to him and saw that he was fly-fishing. I am a HUGE fan of fly-fishing and you will often find me fly-fishing on the Clack, Wilson or Trask. Hearing about his huge success rate I immediately changed my regular rod for my fly-rod. Nobaddays gave me some of his magic flies. As my fly-line combo may not have been the best for ocean fishing Nobaddays also gave me one of his fly rods. I had tried fly-fishing once before at PC and also once at the beach for surf perch, with no luck. So it really was great to have a rockfish slam my fly after a few minutes and i had me fist-ever saltwater fish on a fly-line. These fish are amazing fighters when on a fly line and are of a different order than trout in a river. I landed the fish and caught two more on the fly so i had my limit on black fish. After that it was time to call it a day and head back to the beach. Unfortunately no ling to show for (unlike Nobaddays and MonkeyFist) but i was quite stoked about the three rockfish on the fly. A big Thank You to Nobaddays for showing me how it is done and borrowing one of his fly rods! 
Next time I am heading out (and it is still far away but forecasts for Friday and Saturday look promising...??) I for sure will start the day fly-fishing.

BugNerd

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Jul 2018
Love all the pics! Really fantastic looking place.