Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:41:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Just joined from Portland, Oregon and New to Kayak fishing  (Read 1231 times)

angelmonk

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Nov 2018
Aloha ! Wife and I decided to start this journey.  We love rock fish and look forward to learning from the community here.  First off, we are looking for two pedal yaks first.  So any tips and leads on used gear, demo gear etc are surely welcome. 
. Ron

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I'm nowhere near Portland, so I'm useless on tips for your area, but let me be the first to welcome you to Oregon* and NWKA.

* I'm being presumptuous about the Oregon part, but "Aloha!" seemed to be a giveaway.   :angel:
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

nomas

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
What up, Ron. I’ve got some fishing plans for us.

hdpwipmonkey

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2014
Welcome Ron (and your wife). 

For deals on equipment you can check with Kayak Shed or Next Adventure for any demo models they may be selling but I think they both already had their clearance sales.  You can also watch Craigslist.  When the 2019 Outbacks came out there were a ton of older kayaks listed (everyone dumping their old ones so they can purchase the new ones) but it has since calmed down some but there are still some available.  You can also keep an eye on the classified thread on here.  There is also a "Cheapskate Kayak Fisherman" thread that folks post deals and steals into.

You said you are looking for two pedal kayaks, do you know which type you'd like?  Have you demo'd any yet.  Theres a big difference between the Hobie push style peddles and the others with rotary (bicycle) style.  Some prefer one over the other (I know I do).

Also, fair warning, kayaks should not be stored next to each other.  They multiply like rabbits!  A friend if mine tried to warn me but I didn't believe him till I looked in my backyard and I had FIVE  of them back there...  ???

Ray
2020 Hobie Outback "Chum Chicken"
2018 Native Titan 10.5 "Battle Barge"
Wilderness Tarpon 100

www.facebook.com/HOWNOC

2016 Junk Jig Challenge
Category - IT’S NOT A DRINKING PROBLEM IF YOU’RE BEING CREATIVE
1st place - The Drunken Bastard

hanapaa808

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
HANAPAA!!!

angelmonk

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Nov 2018
All, thanks for the welcome !  And Nomas, I look forward to our trips.  You are the one who sold this kayak fishing to me anyway !   hdpwipmonkey, five kayaks !  Wanna sell some of them lol?   Noma highly recommends the Hobie so I will watch for those.  If I don't come across a good one, thinking of the Pescador Pilot which seems to have a good price point.

hdpwipmonkey

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2014
All, thanks for the welcome !  And Nomas, I look forward to our trips.  You are the one who sold this kayak fishing to me anyway !   hdpwipmonkey, five kayaks !  Wanna sell some of them lol?   Noma highly recommends the Hobie so I will watch for those.  If I don't come across a good one, thinking of the Pescador Pilot which seems to have a good price point.

I sold one to a friend of mine (Ocean Kayak Malibu II XL) and I have another for sale (Cobra Fish N Dive) that will leave me with 3 Hobies.  An Outfitter, an Oasis, and an Outback.  I'm looking to buy a new 2019 Outback too. 
Hi, my name's Ray and I have an addiction...  ;D

I would suggest trying out the 2 different types of peddle kayaks.  They are quite an investment and I'd hate to see you plunk down a chuck of money and not be happy with your purchase.  You're more than welcome to try my Outback sometime.  It's getting colder out so immersion gear would be required unless we just go to Hagg Lake and mess around near shore.  I do have a spare XXL drysuit if your a larger guy, like myself, that you could borrow.
Ray
2020 Hobie Outback "Chum Chicken"
2018 Native Titan 10.5 "Battle Barge"
Wilderness Tarpon 100

www.facebook.com/HOWNOC

2016 Junk Jig Challenge
Category - IT’S NOT A DRINKING PROBLEM IF YOU’RE BEING CREATIVE
1st place - The Drunken Bastard

anything