Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:04:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: November Days  (Read 2808 times)

surf12foot

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011
Here we are almost Turkey Eating Day And the awesome weather just won't quite. So what is one to do? Go fishing and just not any fishing but another ocean run. Got to the parking lot and was greeted by a sun drenched morning almost mirror like ocean conditions. We hit the water and new it was going to be a great day(sun, very little wind and visions of fish so willing that they needed to be beaten back from having to many)besides what else good it be? Tired a couple spots to get a feeling for what was going on down below(shrimp pattern or maybe some kind of baitfish pattern- herring, anchovy or maybe a candlefish pattern- lots of sparkles or little sparkles) I know decisions, decisions right. We find a promising  spot-aka...fish finder going nuts with little fish images all over the screen. After a while the fishing dies down and we start changing patterns. Tinker goes for a straight super sparkle one and wants me to use his purple semi sparkle one to see which one is the better pattern. Right off the bat fish on and it's fighting for its life(some major bend happening in our rods)- actual both of us had a fish on not once but twice at the same time (so much for the experiment) once things settled down we realize that we had drifted a long ways off of our first spot. By this time it was 1030ish and our favorite burger joint opens at 1130 sharp. Tinker made sure to this mention as he paddled back to the first spot.2 fish on board and a challenge was excepted. After a 25 minute spree I head back to Tinker (who by the way was getting into some fish too) I call out" here is your fly back I think I'll go and try for perch I limited out already" and all I get is you can't already- no way I don't think so- actually he was right I had to stop a while ago( seems that I ended up landing 9 more fish before taking my final fish). Tried for some perch but our stomachs started talking more about hamburgers and such so we made our way in. We came into the beach like we owned the place and so we did- you all know that feeling (leaping out in a single bound and running out of the water as if your walking on the sidewalk and not a care in the world). Oops there was one small minor thing a rod tip came off of a 4 piece fly rod as Tinker got out. So a quick look in the water(just not ankle deep but waist deep) but to no aval :crybaby2:. We spent a few minutes getting our kayak ready to haul up the beach and went and gave it one more collage try but our stomachs won us over plus the rod had a warranity for such things.
Scott

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
right on. right on. right on.
2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I blame the lost rod tip on our search for surf perch.  I had to break off my fly - actually, I had to call for help to break off - when it got snagged in the kelp too close to the rocks to recover it and then decided not to tie yet another leader (since we were working our way back to the beach just ahead of a thick fog).  Had the leader still been there, had the fly been secured in the hook holder, had the Lords of Fishing smiled down on me, the tip section couldn't have made a successful bid for freedom.

I like that.  I can blame the kelp rather than accept my own stupidity, and I'm always happiest when things that go wrong aren't my fault.

What my companion didn't tell you is that for the third time - or maybe the fourth time - in a row, I tried to crash when launching.  I thought I'd timed the wave perfectly when I leaped-in but alas, no, I was late, and I found myself sitting on the beach when the next wave turned me sideways and tried to dump me out.  Again.  And to my horror and everlasting mortification, the guy I was with - who did time the wave perfectly - didn't holler back, "What's the problem?" but used his radio and my call sign!  "What's the problem, Tinker?"

Everyone within ten miles heard that Tinker was, once more, unable to get his act together to get off the beach and go fishing.

The saddest part of the day was knowing I'd nailed the landing.  Leaping out, graceful as a gazelle, into water just slightly more shallow than my boots are tall, grabbing the bow handle and marching triumphantly onto the beach.  It deserved a perfect 10.0 score from the judges - until I noticed my rod was shorter than it should be and then saw the tip section was missing...

Sometimes a guy just can't catch a break.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

surf12foot

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011
It wasn't 10 miles-had the radio on low range at the time so 3 miles the most :toothy9:
Scott

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Nice post!  I love fishing the ocean in the winter, especially when the water is clear and blue.

-Mark-
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

anything