Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:00:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Kast Glove  (Read 1934 times)

Matt M

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Anyone have any experience with the Kast Gloves? I have bought probably a half dozen different pairs of gloves over the years and have yet to find one that would allow me to fish with some comfort while still maintaining a bit of warmth and water resistance. All gloves tend to either be warm and comfortable, but not water resistant, or warm and water resistant without being comfortable.

I realize these things are uber expensive for gloves, but frankly I've spent probably close to that amount on gloves I didn't end up liking which is why I am looking for any first hand experience with these.

https://www.kastgear.com/collections/gloves

Thanks!!
-Matt

Old Town Sportsman 120 PDL

Clayman

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
I've owned two pairs of the steelhead gloves going back to 2015.  Mostly bought them to fish Sierra Nevada/Cascade lakes in the winter.  For those with crummy circulation in their hands like me, they're great.  You can submerge them in the water and your hands still stay warm. Make releasing fish in freezing water real easy.  They are EXCELLENT for paddling in cold weather.  I still have to take them off to tie knots, but that's a relatively minor inconvenience.

When it was super cold, I would put one of those shake-up hand warmers inside each glove to make them extra toasty  ;D.
aMayesing Bros.

Matt M

• Sturgeon
I've owned two pairs of the steelhead gloves going back to 2015.  Mostly bought them to fish Sierra Nevada/Cascade lakes in the winter.  For those with crummy circulation in their hands like me, they're great.  You can submerge them in the water and your hands still stay warm. Make releasing fish in freezing water real easy.  They are EXCELLENT for paddling in cold weather.  I still have to take them off to tie knots, but that's a relatively minor inconvenience.

When it was super cold, I would put one of those shake-up hand warmers inside each glove to make them extra toasty  ;D.

Thanks for the first hand account Chris, that's exactly what I was hoping to hear! You probably have more cold water experience than most fishing Almanor in the winter for so many years. Sounds like I should get my hands on a pair.
-Matt

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
Those look very nice. 

What I discovered I liked for winter fishing was wool gloves with nitrile gloves underneath.  It kept my hands nice and warm even while soaking wet out on the ocean in the winter. It is a low budget alternative that most definitely is not as nice. :)

kredden

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Feb 2018
I just bought a pair of Simms Skeena's, hard to find as I guess they've been replaced with a newer, more expensive model.  I've only had them out once so far, they are really good at keeping the water out and have a fleece lining so my hands weren't sweating but my fingers were still getting cold.  Better than with no glove but still uncomfortable after a while.  The temp was about 32F and the water was 34F with about a 3 MPH wind blowing.

These would probably be great for warmer temps with the cold water but aren't great keeping your hands warm in a wind.

Kevin

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
I have been unsuccessful finding a pair of gloves that will keep my hands warm for fishing. 
Therefore, I complain alot when it's below 40F and don't have many fishing buddies -- it's great for crowd control.

Matt M

• Sturgeon
I have been unsuccessful finding a pair of gloves that will keep my hands warm for fishing. 
Therefore, I complain alot when it's below 40F and don't have many fishing buddies -- it's great for crowd control.

You and I both! I made a quick little trip to the local lake for some pellet head trout C&R fishing and my fishing buddy vowed to never again fish with me in the colder months. He didn't seem to mind too much as I towed his lazy butt the 2.5 miles back to the launch since his arm was "cramping up."
-Matt

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
What I discovered I liked for winter fishing was wool gloves with nitrile gloves underneath.  It kept my hands nice and warm even while soaking wet out on the ocean in the winter. It is a low budget alternative that most definitely is not as nice. :)

I wasn't wearing wool gloves over nitrile gloves, but this works.  The fellow with whom I was drifting watched me shoving my poor, icy fingers in my pockets to try to warm them up and told me to try putting the nitrile gloves on under my regular gloves and they helped - a lot - immediately.

It's not an expensive experiment, so give them a try.

I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

anything