Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:07:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: 2019 cold weather gear  (Read 3057 times)

Clay

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Mar 2019
I know that the forum has a long running post that is pinned at the top.  I read through that and the other links that were posted in that thread.  The last post in that thread was from 2015.

There are completely different models available in 2019 so wanted to start something that was more current.  If you feel that I should have posted to a 4 year old thread instead please delete this thread.

I tried on my first dry suit at a local paddling show this past weekend.  I have to say that a true dry suit was a rather Claustrophobic experience.  The semi-dry suit was a more comfortable option as a first time experience.

Many people wear a dry suit, is that still a better option for a paddler that is a fisherman and not a whitewater practitioner?  I fish out of a Hobie PA14, I don't plan on rolling it every outing. If the boat does roll over, we all want a better chance of survival by wearing one. 

For a fisherman - dry suit or semi-dry paddling gear?  Which specific current model?  Considering the Kokatat Supernova Gore-Tex vs the Supernova Angler Hydrus 3.0.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 08:43:00 AM by Clay »
Many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not the fish that they are after. Henry David Thoreau

C_Run

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011
The one time I flipped with my Stohlquist semi-dry suit I never got any water down my neck through the neoprene gasket. I was only bobbing around for a minute or two, though.

You will get over the claustrophobic feeling especially when you ge a fish on. There are ways to stretch the gaskets I'm sure you've read about and that helps, too.

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I've seen the term "semi-dry suit" refer to a couple of different things, from wetsuits with limited water circulation to drysuits that don't have latex neck gaskets. Can you elaborate on what you mean by the different terms you used? Perhaps use specific models as examples.

A lot of us use the Kokatat Supernova and like it really well. I've had the Hydrus version for... I think 4 years now. I am also a fisherman first and a paddler (well, a lot of the time pedal-er) second. If you have a PFD on it will keep you dry while you get back in your boat. Put on your gear and play in the surf sometime to get a feel for what to wear underneath it for warmth and how wet you'll get (if at all).

It did take me a while to get used to a drysuit but now it's second nature and doesn't bother me. Really my only complaint with the thing is that the neoprene neck gasket is wet and cold when it's rainy (even with a hat on, it gets damp and you can't get away from it). Like every other piece of gear, how well it wears depends on how much you use it and how you treat it. Most people seem to have a good experience with Kokatat's service, with a few outliers who don't share that viewpoint.

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
A lot depends on where and when your fishing as well, in the summertime EVERYBODY should be wearing emersion gear in the ocean period! But in the rivers and lakes that personal preference, but please always wear your pfd. Pa 14 , have you tried flipping it upright in water that you can’t touch ground in? I’d imagine a kayak (or in that case boat) of that size is going to be difficult to flip if it does roll all the way over, my guess if you do swim it will be from simply falling off and will still be upright, either way you WILL be in the water.
  Personally I wear a 3/4mil surfing wetsuit keeps me warm enough but I DON’T fish the ocean in the wintertime. If I did I’d get a “full on” dry suit. As the captain said semi-dry is a very loose term and can simply be paddle pants and a dry top or waterproof wind breaker, if there’s two pieces water will get in between guaranteed. Just be sure what ever you go with is comfortable or you’ll be inclined to leave it off when you should be wearing it .
  Lastly ask yourself “ what’s my life worth” because swimming in cold water without enough protection can kill you , not trying to scare anyone off but that’s not something to take lightly,it’s a fact that’s been proven too many times by careless recreational kayakers.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 09:31:43 AM by Mojo Jojo »

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

Clay

• Herring
Thanks everyone for the comments. I was looking at the Kokatat product.  I tried on an NRS rear entry suit and I need more yoga classes to get that on me.

Comparing their Supernova Angler Gore-Tex vs their Supernova Angler Hydrus 3.0.  Both are considered Semi-dry because of the Neo neck seal.

Think that the Hydrus 3.0 is $615 and the Gore-Tex is $850. Is the Gore-Tex unit more breathable and durable?

Thanks again for the push in the right direction.
Many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not the fish that they are after. Henry David Thoreau

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
Think that the Hydrus 3.0 is $615 and the Gore-Tex is $850. Is the Gore-Tex unit more breathable and durable?

The folks that have the Gore-Tex version seem to really like it. I can't speak to the differences personally but I have heard it is more breathable. If you look around and ask around about sales you might be able to get a few bucks off of those prices. It's worth it either way, though. It's hard to spend that much but amortized out across all the times you'll use it it really isn't too bad of a deal for something that could save your life. (And increases comfort on the water, compared to some other options. Comfort = long day fishing!)

kredden

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Feb 2018
I've got the Gore-Tex version and really like it.

Kevin

Pinstriper

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2015
I also use the Supernova Hydrus, and a big part of the comfort is the neck. If I were to end up in the water, separated from the boat, and no one around, radio not working, SPOT not working, yeah I guess I'd eventually be in trouble and some water would get in.

I DO think you need to be expecting to be in the water every time you go out, and be prepared for that.

Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !

Punctuation. It saves lives.

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
Thanks everyone for the comments. I was looking at the Kokatat product.  I tried on an NRS rear entry suit and I need more yoga classes to get that on me.

Comparing their Supernova Angler Gore-Tex vs their Supernova Angler Hydrus 3.0.  Both are considered Semi-dry because of the Neo neck seal.

Thanks again for the push in the right direction.

I have had both versions of the Supernova (and have been swimming in cold water, on purpose, in both versions).  Got the 'Hydrus' version in 2013, upgraded to the Gore-Tex last May.

The Gore-Tex fabric is lighter, a bit more flexible, and breathes better, I definitely notice it on breezy colder days and have adjusted my layering inside the suit.  The Hydrus that I had, with dark lap and legs, got warm on sunny days, very warm at times.  I see that new Hydrus suits have light colored reinforced areas, that should have helped.

Either suit will keep you safe and my Kokatat experience has been really good, no issues with either suit.  cheers, roger

FYI-  OutdoorPlay (Hood River) can usually apply a 15% discount to the suits but only if you call them, it can't be done automatically on-line using a promo code.  Saved me $127 on the Gore-Tex version.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 07:51:45 AM by rogerdodger »
2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
The quadfather is selling a dry suit not sure if it’s your size though

!!!!!

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

kredden

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Feb 2018
Yeah, his suit is basically brand new.  I'll alert him to this thread.

Kevin

Clay

• Herring
Want to thank everyone for the help in making a decision.  I do believe that the cost of an appropriate suit is worth my chance to survive. 

I also believe that no matter what you paddle or pedal, you should dress for immersion and rig to flip. 

I ended up with the following: 
SuperNova Angler GORE-TEX®    DSUGSARD4
Portage Boot                              FWUNPSBK09
Surfskin Balaclava                    INUSBABK4
Neo Kozee Glove                    INUNKGBK3

Kokatat delivery on 3/18 / Thanks again everyone.

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
Happened upon this today and figured it was a good addition to this thread for whoever stumbles upon it. Kayakacademy's take on Hydrus vs. Gore-Tex:

https://www.kayakacademy.com/pages/tropos-t3-dry-suits-vs-gore-tex-dry-suits

Congrats on your new gear!