Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 09:38:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:40:17 PM]

[Today at 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[Today at 01:45:57 PM]

by PNW
[Today at 11:35:40 AM]

[Today at 10:02:38 AM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Ocean chinook this spring  (Read 2182 times)

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
I'm sure you know more about this topic than I do.  What's the grey area?  Do you need all gear on board to be barbless if you are fishing for salmon?  I'm not seeing that in the regs.

Edit:  is this the issue?

Anglers fishing for salmon and all anglers fishing from boats with a salmon on board are limited
to no more than 2 single point barbless hooks per line, and no more than one line per angler

Would this be legal?  For the primo conditions Clayman described, I'd make sure both barbs were pinched on my flat fall jig and go for it.  If I was lucky enough to catch a salmon I'd fish barbless for bottom fish to fill out a limit if needed.
My understanding of the "barbless rule" is that you can have both barbed and barbless gear onboard but if you catch a salmon on barbed gear it has to be released because the barbed hooks are not valid gear for that species.  I don't see any greyness when fishing for bottom fish with barbed gear, if you have salmon on board, as long as you release salmon if they get hooked.  But I would rather not take the risk if there are salmon around.  I would be barbless all the way around.  Would hate to have to release a nice chinook.  Remember, binoculars can see an angler from quite a ways.   No place to hide out on the ocean.

This is correct.

And yeah, I've been run up on for fishing regs/license check while on the ocean. It can depend on where and what season, but it can happen FAST. I didn't even know what was happening, the suddenly I had a RHIB with an officer on one side of us, then a 40 foot enforcement craft on the other. Funny thing was that we saw the RHIB coming in hot before he got to us but never saw the bigger craft coming in until it was right on top of us.
Luckily we we're all squared away.

Also, it would be really hard to throw back a 20+ lb Chinook simply because it grabbed my barbed jig instead of the ling I actually was going for.

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

Clayman

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
That being said, I was out of Depoe one May afternoon last year and came into a stellar-looking color line and bait balls on the depthfinder that just screamed salmon.  Sure enough, a salmon leaped clear out of the water only thirty feet away from me!  Unfortunately, I only had bottomfish gear with me that day.

If you carry the right jigs you can catch salmon on bottomfish gear.  I still remember vividly the first time I hooked up with a salmon while fishing for rockfish.  I was dropping a 1 oz crippled herring to the bottom in 100ft of water.  About 30ft down the line goes slack.  Eleven year old me thought, "WTF I'm nowhere near bottom".  Luckily the Coho didn't spit the jig and sprinted off setting the hook on itself. 

To this day I still love the split second of anticipation between when the line goes slack and the hookset, wondering if it's going to be a swing and a miss or if I'm going to connect.

The situation you describe sounds perfect for salmon jigging.
For sure.  I've caught a handful of salmon on jigging spoons, with the last one being a nice coho right in Depoe Bay last October on a 1-ounce Laser Minnow.  On the May afternoon where I came across the salmon water, I only had my Ugly Stik Tiger, 8/0 hooks, and purple-label herring.  I've hooked salmon on that gear before, but it's clunky and they don't tend to stick very well.

Lesson learned was to always include a spinning rod with a handful of metal jigs rigged with Siwash hooks anytime salmon is open, which I've been sticking with religiously ever since  ;D.
aMayesing Bros.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I only use barbless hooks in the sea, no matter what I'm targeting (just in case a nearby salmon loses it's mind) and I've never lost a fish because my hooks were barbless.

I would think it would be even harder to have one shake off a barbless hook when using jigging gear then with a wiggly fly rod, but that's just an assumption.

And the way it was explained to me includes all of the above, plus if I'm fishing for salmon or if I accidentally land a salmon, and if I'm carrying more than a single rod, all the hooks on every rod on board need to be barbless.  Is that right? 
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 01:40:08 PM by Tinker »
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
I only use barbless hooks in the sea, no matter what I'm targeting (just in case a nearby salmon loses it's mind) and I've never lost a fish because my hooks were barbless.

I would think it would be even harder to have one shake off a barbless hook when using jigging gear then with a wiggly fly rod, but that's just an assumption.

And the way it was explained to me includes all of the above, plus if I'm fishing for salmon or if I accidentally land a salmon, and if I'm carrying more than a single rod, all the hooks on every rod on board need to be barbless.  Is that right?
That is not right, Tinker.  I don't believe the regulations control what hooks you can have rigged up on a rod that is on your boat, but if that rod is in the water actively fishing, the gear needs to comply with all regulations (including regs that are defined by any species already retained).  So, once you have a salmon on board (that was caught with a barbless single point hook and legally retained), you had better ONLY have less than two single point barbless hooks on the rod when continuing to fish (ocean regs). 

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
A few years ago ODFW used to do tagging for black rockfish (all barbless tackle, 3oz barbless jig on bottom, two barbless shrimp hooks).  I recall quite a few times when a salmon was hooked (on the bottom jig hook).  It's always a thrill to catch a salmon. These trips were no retention- for survey purposes, so ALL the fish were released.  The question was asked MANY TIMES of the ODFW crew and they said if you were sport fishing in this situation, the salmon could not legally be retained on that gear... even though the hook was barbless, there were three hooks on the leaders we were using and that is not legal gear for salmon in the ocean.   

So, if you're rockfishing and you want to retain a salmon if you happen to catch one, then you need to be fishing with tackle that is allowable for salmon (no more than two single point barbless hooks).  Once you have a salmon on board, all your hooks in the water must be barbless and you can not have more than two.

Clayman

• Salmon
Now that y'all got the regulation questions out of the way...

I've spent many hours over the past year perusing the iFish archives for salmon reports over the last several years.  There are some good nuggets of info in those archives when it comes to finding feeder Chinook in the spring months.  Most of it focuses on downriggers at the Rock Pile (12-13 miles west of Newport), but there are a few reports of nearshore fish.  Those nearshore fish were usually the result of skippers spotting bait/birds on their way to someplace else, then dropping their gear on them and hooking salmon.  Sometimes the 40-50 foot contour between Seal Rock and Waldport produced fish in March/April.  And I recall at least a couple decent Chinook reports out of Depoe Bay in the spring, mostly north towards Government Point.

I wouldn't expect lights-out action this early in the year, but hooking a Chinook is certainly within the realm of possibility if all the right conditions align.
aMayesing Bros.

Rock

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Mar 2019
Have any of you tried using lead core line to get your bait down?

nomas

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
Sooo you're saying there's a chance!

Saturday conditions = still a big IF.  I'll tote some salmon gear just in case.

Clayman

• Salmon
Sooo you're saying there's a chance!

Saturday conditions = still a big IF.  I'll tote some salmon gear just in case.
I'll join you if that swell forecast shaves off a couple feet.
aMayesing Bros.

Rock

• Krill
Going to pick up my new ride Sat. but after that I'll be interested in getting out 8 days a week. Good luck

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
Have any of you tried using lead core line to get your bait down?

I haven't heard of anyone using lead core line for this fishery. Doesn't mean it wouldn't work, but I haven't had any problems with getting to the depth I want using lead cannonball weights.

2011 Angler Of The Year
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

Rock

• Krill
Right on, where I used to fish it was sometimes a better option than a down rigger was why I wondered.

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
A wise old lady (who was a hell of a fisherman) used to tell me to wait until the rhododendrons are in full bloom to go out for salmon.

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
A wise old lady (who was a hell of a fisherman) used to tell me to wait until the rhododendrons are in full bloom to go out for salmon.

That's a good way to keep from getting burned out. Run timings can be different from year to year though. But then again, so can blooms. ;D

2011 Angler Of The Year