Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:42:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:21:38 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by PNW
[April 18, 2024, 11:35:40 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:02:38 AM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Bottom fish opener Westport.  (Read 1685 times)

haolebhydn

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Mar 2019
Woke up early and drove to Westport on Saturday. Meet up with Beachmaster90 and a few minutes later we're on the water attempting to catch fish.  It was a little slow until we found the magic lure and the bite was on!
 I was on the hunt for a good photo and released all my fish. Luckily we didn't have to go deep to find some decent sized rockfish.  As the tide came up we changed lures to look for lingcod, but unfortunately all we could get we're bigger black bass. Catching fish all day is fun!
Beachmaster90 limited out and I got a few good photos 😀.

That evening I drove up to la push only to find perfect weather but a sign saying 15 dollars to launch. I said no way and headed back down.
The next morning was a rising swell and I bailed out to Nisqually where the weather was perfect and so was the tide. 
Talking to the nature center I soon learned that there were flounder all year here and I might be able to find one.
30 minutes later I was hooked up and snapped an ok photo. Letting the fish go I looked for more and soon was fishing pretty shallow when I spooked a thumper. Watching the fish glide off I stood up on my pa14 and slid my way towards the starry. I sight casted my jig and was hooked up. 22 inch fish!
Looking for more I soon found a pocket and tossed my lure next to the head of a flounder. One pop of the dropshot rod and he leapt at the lure and engulfed it.
Using 6 lb line a 10gram jig, shiny as a hipsters beard, was the ticket.
All in all a great weekend!

workhard

• Salmon
  • Get off your computer and fish
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
Nice fish. Don't know how I missed you guys out there.

Fish hard.

jed

• ORC_Safety
  • Salmon
  • With a But like mine, you'd want to flaunt it too.
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Thanks for the report and great looking fish. I have yet to catch a Starry.

alpalmer

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
The next morning was a rising swell and I bailed out to Nisqually where the weather was perfect and so was the tide. 
Talking to the nature center I soon learned that there were flounder all year here and I might be able to find one.
30 minutes later I was hooked up and snapped an ok photo. Letting the fish go I looked for more and soon was fishing pretty shallow when I spooked a thumper. Watching the fish glide off I stood up on my pa14 and slid my way towards the starry. I sight casted my jig and was hooked up. 22 inch fish!
Looking for more I soon found a pocket and tossed my lure next to the head of a flounder. One pop of the dropshot rod and he leapt at the lure and engulfed it.

Used to catch "flounder" at Nisqually on minus tides by wading the flats in the dark during the winter,  catch them by hand at times.  Pickup clams and sometimes crab at the same time.
"A venturesome minority will always be eager to get off on their own,
and no obstacle should be placed in their path;
let them take risk, for God sake, let them get lost, sun burnt, stranded, drowned,
eaten by bears, buried alive under avalanches -
that is the right and privilege of any free American."
--Edward Abbey--

iggie

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Jul 2012
I have asked the launch office at LaPush, what they would charge for a kayak. Was told to just launch.Wouldn't hurt to ask.
But I would ask first.

Iggie

alpalmer

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
I have asked the launch office at LaPush, what they would charge for a kayak. Was told to just launch.Wouldn't hurt to ask.
But I would ask first.

Iggie
you could also launch from the Rialto Beach parking lot if you have a boat cart or use the crude ramp where Mora Rd crosses the Dickey River, but that's a ways up the Quillayute which would likely need a return on high tide to make the current less of an effect.
"A venturesome minority will always be eager to get off on their own,
and no obstacle should be placed in their path;
let them take risk, for God sake, let them get lost, sun burnt, stranded, drowned,
eaten by bears, buried alive under avalanches -
that is the right and privilege of any free American."
--Edward Abbey--

haolebhydn

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Mar 2019
I had arrived there after hours and did not want to wait until the next morning, but the next chance I have to go ocean fishing I'll be calling them to find out ahead of time. La push looks really sweet.
Unfortunately I have a PA 14 that is almost impossible to combat launch.
and if anybody wants to go starry fishing with me I'll be more than happy to next weekend, this weekend my car is in the shop.

Beachmaster90

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Feb 2015
Woke up early and drove to Westport on Saturday. Meet up with Beachmaster90 and a few minutes later we're on the water attempting to catch fish.  It was a little slow until we found the magic lure and the bite was on!
 I was on the hunt for a good photo and released all my fish. Luckily we didn't have to go deep to find some decent sized rockfish.  As the tide came up we changed lures to look for lingcod, but unfortunately all we could get we're bigger black bass. Catching fish all day is fun!
Beachmaster90 limited out and I got a few good photos 😀.

That evening I drove up to la push only to find perfect weather but a sign saying 15 dollars to launch. I said no way and headed back down.

What a fun day! I plan on doing the same thing again soon. I 'd also really like to try for flounder - we bought a kayak for my girlfriend this week and she really wants to fish for flounder as well. Stay in touch!

anything