Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 02:51:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 19, 2024, 09:27:54 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 08:37:24 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: How to tie coho / Salmon trolling flies?  (Read 1977 times)

Clay

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Mar 2019
I'm a fly fisherman and currently a fly tier, but these types of coho flies have me questioning what is the easiest way to tie them.  YouT wasn't a big help, so I thought that I would ask "who makes their own trolling flies and can you share some tips?

This is the type of fly that I am after:  https://www.poseidonflies.com/collections/coho-candy

Thanks for the comments in advance.
Many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not the fish that they are after. Henry David Thoreau

surf12foot

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011
The treble hook ones are pretty straight forward except for the fact that you now have 3 points instead of one(it will grab you, your thread and grab you again) but well worth it in the long run. You can make a composite loop of flashabou, flashabou mirage, holo. flashabou, crinkle mirror flash, mini lateral scale and rubber legs. I would say maybe 2- 3 wraps at the most around the hook. As for the others-  tube flies: the bushy ones are reversed tied tubes to make the flashabou  stand out more and the straight tied ones are just your normal tie. We don't really use a lot of them out here on the Oregon coast as per say for fly fishing, more of a gear thing. We use more bucktailing  patterns and more or less herring, sardine and sandlance patterns.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 08:10:29 AM by surf12foot »
Scott

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
What tube flies are you looking at?  All I see are flies on treble hooks.

There's nothing special or hard about the peanut flies.  They're just a wad of synthetics tied to a treble hook.  If you look at the one named "Casper" you can see there's nothing under the synthetics to cause the tails to flare out the way they're shown in the pictures, so it appears to me that they reverse-tied the synthetics - tying them on pointing towards the eye, then folding them backwards towards the hook points and finished by tying the materials down so they're not flat against the shank.  It's similar to how we tie hollow bucktail deceivers.  That would also explain the rather large thread head.

As surf12foot, my mentor, said, most of them appear to be made with saltwater Flashabou - the wider stuff - or with lateral scale.  There's very little small material in them.

I'm curious about how you'd troll those with a fly rod since they're not fly-fishing flies. They'd spin like crazy when trolled and you'd need a swivel in the rig.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 02:05:17 AM by Tinker »
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

Clay

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Mar 2019
Thanks for the thoughts guys.  My application will be trolled behind a dodger - Flasher and fly rig with a line counter reel and regular equipment not fly fishing equipment.  I mention fly tying to say that I have been tying for a long time, just not this type of pattern or on trebles. 

The thought of reverse tying the material in and folding it over, makes a lot of sense.
Many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not the fish that they are after. Henry David Thoreau

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
My application will be trolled behind a dodger - Flasher and fly rig with a line counter reel and regular equipment not fly fishing equipment.

Got me on that.  Good one!

PNW

• Teutrowenia pellucida (Googly-eyed glass squid)
  • Sturgeon
  • Paul
  • My Facebook page
  • Date Registered: Sep 2008
Thanks for the info. I'm going to tie some with a single hook.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
If this helps, when I reverse tie a fly, I use a Mickey D's soda straw to push the material back towards the hook point (then grab it with by hand to tie it in).  My fingers appreciate it.

PNW

• Teutrowenia pellucida (Googly-eyed glass squid)
  • Sturgeon
  • Paul
  • My Facebook page
  • Date Registered: Sep 2008
If this helps, when I reverse tie a fly, I use a Mickey D's soda straw to push the material back towards the hook point (then grab it with by hand to tie it in).  My fingers appreciate it.
Thanks for the tip!