Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:31:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Foggy Bay 8/24-8/30  (Read 8612 times)

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
.....We're paddling in, with Howard in the lead and me about 50 feet behind him, when all of a sudden ...

BASTARD!!!
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

squidgirl

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
"Life is short lets go fishing"

goldendog

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
Allen really knows how to hook'em, and us too!
Fishing is much more than fish.  It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers.  ~Herbert Hoover

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
... when all of a sudden ... Howard stops paddling.  I look up and see about 50 feet ahead of him there are some birds working.  AND SILVERS WORKING TOO!!!   A few hard strokes later and I'm passing Howard.  I shout at him, "what are you waiting for?".  He was frozen just taking it all in. I cast on the spot then take about 10 strokes to the left of it, skirting the school.  Zzzzzzz, Zzzzz ... FISH ON!!!  It jumps.  It takes lines.  It runs towards me.  It runs around me.  Yeehaw!!!  I'm screaming like a kid.  I'm on a nice one.  Moments later, approximate 12 pounder ...

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
am starting to wonder if the cameras were rolling.. oh, wait, the guys are journalists... Allen, any idea which issue of F&S this will be in??
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Sorry to string this along, but things are hectic after a vacation.  That, and I'm just plain tired.  I'm going to just keep filling in the story as time permits.

I'm not sure what issue of F&S this will be in.  Some time over the next year is what I was told, but they'll tell me when they know for sure.]

-Allen

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
In the meantime Howard has hooked up one himself and we're calling Colby and Eddie to get over here.  I hook up again and go round 2 with an 8 pounder.  Colby is sliding in and he hooks up.  12+ pounder.  Howard is on again and again and again.  We have a school parked under us and we can see them darting in and out.  We barely have to lower our jigs and their slashing at them.  We catch them on anything we throw at them ... buzzbombs, diamond jigs, even bright green/yellow swimbaits.  By now it's getting late and we need to get back to camp, finish setting up, and make some dinner before it's dark.  I catch one more and it had been mauled by a seal, missing one eye and most of that side of its head, as well as a big chunk out of its side.  I don't know how he survived but he didn't look like he was going to for long.  I keep this one for crab bait.  Then ... we left 'em biting and headed in.

Our first afternoon out and we had a wide open bite the whole time ... coppers, quillbacks, yelloweye, greenling, halibut, and coho.  Dinner is pasta with cream sauce and fresh yelloweye washed back with a vodka koolaid.  It doesn't get any better than this.  Really, it doesn't.

-Allen

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Day 4 ... the plan today is to work the inner side of the ridge of rocks crossing the bay, then maybe head into the bay itself and fish the flats for butts.  We start dropping along the way and Colby pulls up a ling.  Of course we also have constant action on the coppers, quillbacks, and greenling.  By now we're getting sick of the rockies and are targeting bigger stuff.

We get out to the edge of the reef and it's nice on the outside.  So instead of hooking into the bay we hook to the outside.  There is a group of birds working and I bust out my buzzbomb.  ZZzzzzzzzzz ... another silver, with schools swarming in the water.  The other guys catch up and want to head offshore for more butts.  So we do and once again, leave the silvers biting.  But we ended up on a big reef expanse and more of those F@%^ rockfish.  But wait ... a few more lings come in too.  I think Eddie yanks in about 1/2 dozen of them.  The reset of us get a couple each as well.  The drift is taking us to the north and soon we are back on our halibut flats.  I catch a few, but I also get this bonus pig yelloweye (dinner of course!!).

-Allen

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Speaking of dinner, I made a quick run over to the where we had set a hoop net.  Crab anyone?

-Allen

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Day 5 ... today we plan on making the long run south to Foggy Point.  The map shows sand offshore there and we're on a mission to target big butts.  On the run out we get a little strung out and I run into another bird/bait pileup.  Drop the buzzbomb down and instant hookup on another silver.  I keep that one for dinner.  Left 'em biting again, as by now the stragglers caught up and we're on our way.  We make it out to the point, but the swell is up and the wind is building.  Plus the drift is taking us due south (further away).  I get one small butt out there that I also keep for dinner.  We've been eating yelloweye the past couple of nights and I'm looking forward to salmon and halibut.  After getting beat up a bit, we decide to head back inside the bay.  It's S-L-O-W inside as we take some long drifts.  It's mid afternoon now and we start heading back toward camp.  We stopped off get some water and clean the fish.  But it's still early and after a hard morning of fishing we decide to head back out front for a short afternoon session.  We go out wide and catch a coupe of small butts.  Then I break off on one that feels a bit bigger.  Drop back down and break off again.  Damnit.  That's the last of my BigN's.  It must be time to change the spectra as the breakoffs came far too easily.  I head nearer to shore where Howard and I have decided to chase silvers.  It's a bit slow at first.  There are some birds working about a quarter mile away and we head towards them.  Of course they go down by the time we get there.  Hmmm ... we're set up on a nice long drift that will take us back toward camp.  Let's just drift the whole way and relax a bit.  Zzzzzz .... 4 silvers later ... so much for relaxing.  Colby and Eddie make there way over to us and as soon as they pull up we get a quad-header going on silvers.  We have a big voracious school under us and we're now all catching silvers.  WFO!!!  After a while we leave them biting ... again!!!  It's a good way to end an otherwise slow day.  We check the pots once again.  Looks like it's crab, coho, and halibut for dinner.  Did I say that we ate very well this whole trip?

-Allen

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Day 6 ... we're going to move camp today.  The plan is to head up Very Inlet.  You can't see it on that map, but it goes up a good 3 miles to the end in a series of channels and open bays.  We're looking for better crabbing and want to check out some streams for salmon/trout.  It will be a good change up day.  Today we are greeted by sun and glassy calm water in the protected inlet.  The past few days have been overcast with some rain (hard at times).

We make our way up to the very end where we find an open field with a nice stream flowing in.  The stream is full of pinks and the shore is littered with headless salmon.  We see signs of bear and wolves everywhere.  We take our time here to make a nice lunch and do a little stream fishing.  Lots of colored up pinks either staging at the mouth or on their spawning beds in the river.  We catch a few, snag a few accidentally, and tire easily of them.

But the sun was to come to an end.  We head back down the bay looking for a good place to camp.  Finally settle on this place, but notice the fog and rain have come back.

Dinner tonight is cedar plank salmon, some fresh limpets boiled in a pot, and some grits with crab mixed in, crab butter and all.  Oh my!!!  Dinner was outstanding.

It rained most of the night.  Our kitchen area was overrun with a small stream.

-Allen

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Day 7 ... our last day.   :'(

The sun comes back out in the morning and we take our own sweet time breaking camp.  The tide turns in the late morning and we want to ride it our instead of paddling against the incoming.  We finally make it out around noon-ish and run in to "The Boat" at the mouth of the inlet.  We plan on fishing a couple of hours then heading home.  I was hoping to get into the silvers again, but couldn't find them.  Converted over to bottomfishing and CNR'd my best ling of the trip.  This one was a beauty and a fatty.

We stuck a few yelloweye and butts as well, but knowing we were about to leave, it just didn't feel right.  Finally we packed it up.  Of course as we're doing that a big pile of birds form and the silvers are crashing on the surface again, perhaps waving goodbye to us.

THE END.

-Allen

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

squidgirl

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
Great story Alan ..... sounds like a great trip.

marilyn
"Life is short lets go fishing"

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Hey, we're tossing around the idea of running this as a regular trip next year.  I wanted to see if there is any interest in something this.  So ... who would seriously consider doing this trip next year?  If we get an all-NWKA group, we could probably put something special together and tailor the trip to your wants and needs (catch big fish and a lot of them!!!).

-Allen