Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 10:24:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:12:10 PM]

[Today at 06:04:24 PM]

by jed
[Today at 04:56:16 PM]

by PNW
[Today at 03:57:54 PM]

[Today at 09:43:36 AM]

[Today at 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

[April 02, 2024, 09:39:30 AM]

[April 01, 2024, 12:06:53 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Humpback Whale encounter....  (Read 5381 times)

Jammer

• KayakFishingOregon.com
  • Sturgeon
  • Kayak Fishing Oregon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
I wanted to share a Humpback whale encounter I experienced while kayak fishing in AK last month. I was bouncing a pink/glow Buzz Bomb in around 40-60 feet of water targeting Greenling right right outside the entry into Coffman Cove on Prince of Wales Island in SE AK when I noticed the water around my Outback started bubbling and churning. I grab my camera as soon as I could and switched over to video mode. In the video you can see this large humback surface right next to me and we both got a good look at each other. The whale seems to turn back towards me as I slip back into the kelp beds to watch. Why the whale swings back a second time in my direction is still a mystery to me, but I have a feeling the whale was as interested in me as I was in it. What an AMAZING experience. I'm just glad I didn't accidentally hook this goliath when it was below me.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 10:30:36 PM by Jammer »
• Stohlquist • Team Daiwa • Yakima Bait Company

2015 Hobie Fishing Team "Top Gun"
2012 Hobie Worlds Team USA - 19th place
2012 Oregon Rockfish Classic – 1st place
2010 Oregon Rockfish Classic - 1st place
2010 Cape Dis. Dungie Tourney - 1st place

KAYAK FISHING OREGON
www.youtube.com/jmrischer

kallitype

• Sturgeon
  • Vashon Island kayaker
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
Awesome!!!  HAd one go thru the mooching fleet at Point DALCO IN 2008, looked right down its nostrils.  An experience you;ll remember for life, so glad you got nice video!
Never underestimate the ability of our policymakers to fail to devise and implement intelligent policy

kfshr

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
Nice video, Jammer!  
That bubble curtain can be an ominous sign when kayaking, especially in AK. Supposedly, feeding humpbacks often circle  a cloud of krill they intend to feed-on releasing a curtain of bubbles that drives them closer together. They shoot up through the cloud filling their open mouths and broach their the way out of the water, eventually squirting the excess water out through their baleen. They then swallow the food still trapped in their mouths as they crash back into the sea. Often more than one will broach at a time, if they're fishing collaboratively.

If you encounter a big circle of bubbles it may be made by a whole feeding pack, that soon will be collectively broaching. So you may want to get out of the circle if you find yourself in the center.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 05:01:06 PM by kfshr »

coosbayyaker

• Sturgeon
  • "Hooky Thing"
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
That is cool! we had a sighting today at Sunset.
See ya on the water..
Roy

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
Awesome vid Jammer!

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

Abking

• Lingcod
  • I put on the Gimme Shelter Tournament Series
  • Date Registered: Oct 2006
Nice work getting the video on - what a great experience.   :)
See you at Gimme Shelter

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
Nice encounter!!!

I gotta dig up some similar footage I have.  A few years back in Prince Williams Sound, I was trying to video some humpbacks I saw doing the bubbles thing.  I thought they were about 100 yards away, but obviously one wanted to check me out because it surfaced within 10 feet of me and scared the shit out of me.

-Allen

Rory

• Sturgeon
  • Rory's Internets Audio Blog
  • Date Registered: Jan 2010
so frickin cool!!!  I had a whale encounter at Depoe Bay and also Neah Bay, though nothing as spectacular as that.
"When you get into one of these groups, there's only a couple ways you can get out. One, is death. The other...mental institutions"

kfshr

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
I just received an eye-witness confirmation of multiple humpbacks broaching through a bubble curtain, while collaboratively feeding in southeastern AK, from my son-in-law. He  wrote:

" ... great video.  We had this happen to us a number of years ago at Sportsmans Cove (southern end of Prince of Wales Island).  Looked just like the bubbles under Michael’s kayak.  The next thing we knew four humpbacks came up within 15 feet of us with mouths wide open.  They were fishing together and the bubbles aerated the water to push up the krill and then wow.  I have never seen anything like it since and it was like it was yesterday.  waa"

anything