Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:50:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: May 14 (SATURDAY..had it wrong) Planning Whiskey Gulch...I think.  (Read 3508 times)

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
So always good to have company in the inlet. So I thought I'd "think out loud" again to plan my next trip. Any and all are welcome but please have suitable outerwear and safe equipment (says a guy with a 9' kayak). It's really every man for himself...at least plan that way.

So 4 or 5 days out which means the forecasts are generally worthless but the trend is something to follow.

South 10mph, Seas 2ft for Sat. 40% chance of rain.

South wind, incoming tide means I have no choice but to drift north in my barge.

So for a change of scenery I think I am contemplating launching further south this time. Looking at the map, Whiskey Gulch should allow for several miles of drifting North. There's roughly 4.5 miles of open water between the Anchor and Stariski closed areas. With the beach access pretty much in the middle.

High tide is at 1:26pm.  Probably means a noon start, especially if I am going solo. Drift North...at slack the south wind should hold us for a while and then I think as the tide some coming down, with a drift anchor I think we can drift/paddle back down south to the vehicle by 3 or 4pm.

Some rationale for heading south...
a) Did not see much bait and every fish landed for me (6 or 7 sculpins and one king) last week had sandlances in them. Not herring or hooligan. My dropping sabiki through the clouds of bait and coming up empty I think is a indicator the bait I was seeing on the sonar was sandlances.

b) I think the herring spawn in the area on the kelp beds so if they are around, a food source should be more concentrated down south.

c) Check out another access point.

I am not married to this plan at all. Open to any and all suggestions!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 01:42:58 PM by kardinal_84 »
Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
Oops.  High tide is at 1:26pm.  That means a launch time of noon or so.  Could be windy but you gotta try it.  If others are interested and we have two vehicles, I'd try the early morning trolling for kings again as long as we could positions our cars correctly.

Sorry about the mistake.

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
May 14th!!  Ack. Should not try this at work.

guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

AK Yak Atak

• Herring
  • So....Let the break up begin!!!!!
  • Date Registered: May 2011
Kardinal, I went to seward this past weekend and caught several p cod along the millers landing side of Ressurection Bay. I seen a few King Salmon charters that went out with no luck. I wanted to let you know i recieved some pretty good info about the bay...South of Fourth of July creek along the cliffs is about 100-200 ft deep and using a halibut rig with a piece of herring was producing serveral halibut and rockfish. Apparently there are some good piniacles down that bank with alot of people with great success. My inital intent was to meet up with you at Deep Creek this past weekend but the wife wanted to go to Seward. Let me know if you plan to make into the Resurrection Bay area for some kayak fishing. Also i was thinking of maybe getting a few people together for a float trip down the kenai for some Kings here soon.  Let me know what you think
The best way to a fisherman's heart is through his fly.

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
Kardinal, I went to seward this past weekend and caught several p cod along the millers landing side of Ressurection Bay. I seen a few King Salmon charters that went out with no luck. I wanted to let you know i recieved some pretty good info about the bay...South of Fourth of July creek along the cliffs is about 100-200 ft deep and using a halibut rig with a piece of herring was producing serveral halibut and rockfish. Apparently there are some good piniacles down that bank with alot of people with great success. My inital intent was to meet up with you at Deep Creek this past weekend but the wife wanted to go to Seward. Let me know if you plan to make into the Resurrection Bay area for some kayak fishing. Also i was thinking of maybe getting a few people together for a float trip down the kenai for some Kings here soon.  Let me know what you think

hey hey!  By chance are you Kayak4fish on the other forums?  Just sent an email if you are.  All of it sounds great.  I tend to be a single minded spare no expense within reason to accomplish goals.  And right now my top goal due to season is to boat a 50 pound halibut.  I think the best place to have a chance at that is Deep Creek to Anchor Point.

Did you notice any herring in Ressurection bay?  I am under orders to go find several bucket fulls of herring.  We not only use them for bait but its a favorite food fish in our household (Japanese).  I can do it in whittier or the smaller summer herring but around now in Seward there are bigger spawners available...somewhere soon....

I think by early June I want to have accomplished my halibut goals and turn my attention to Resurrection bay.  I want to try and not only try the terminal king fishery there by the falls but I want to see if I can't get the sockeyes running up resurrection river to hit something.  My plan is to VERY SLOW troll as large of a flasher as my yak will handle with small krill type flies or a plain red gamakatsu hook.  Works in some areas with sockeyes.

Would love to do the Kenai.  Mark Collett did it last weekend.  Sounds like a great time...especially if you could hook one up!!!!

So yes, I would like to do all the things you mentioned.  But I am going to be the slow boat in town till I upgrade.  So drifting rivers and currents are high on my list right now.

guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
C'mon BABY!  Be right for a change!!!!  If this holds, I may take Friday off!!!!!!  Whose in??  Mark says: YES!  Who else? 

COOK INLET NORTH OF KAMISHAK BAY AND ENGLISH BAY
400 PM AKDT TUE MAY 10 2011

...SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY TONIGHT...
.TONIGHT...NW WIND 25 KT. SEAS 4 FT.
.WED...N WIND 20 KT. SEAS 3 FT.
.WED NIGHT AND THU...N WIND 15 KT. SEAS 2 FT.
.THU NIGHT...W WIND 10 KT. SEAS 1 FOOT.
.FRI AND SAT...S WIND 10 KT. SEAS 1 FOOT.
.SUN...SE WIND 10 KT. SEAS 1 FOOT.

guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

AK Yak Atak

• Herring
Yea on the Alaska forums i am Kayak4fish. I noticed some bait balls on my sonar every 1/8 mile or so and thats how i caught those P-cod. I would drop a pink and silver metal jig right in the middle of it and BAMMM! Let me know when the for sure times are this weekend and maybe i can get the pass from the woman and head that way. I am doing my best to get a nice halibut from the yak but i think that the best way would be to get on the water taxi in seward and head towards Aailik Bay to Mcmullen Cove. There is a public cabin there and the fishing from what i hear is unreal from a kayak there. Trip wold cost about 275.00 for the taxi ride and it is round trip. i would like to hit it up but dont know who all would be up to it.

Mark Collett

• Sturgeon
  • Make It Happen
Kardinal-84 and AK YAK Atak,
I will definately go this weekend.Have truck for shuttling boats and extra boats if someone needs one.Don't go back to work til May 19th so I want/need to get out there as much as possible.Then 2 weeks on the slope and back around June 3rd.Let's go and git-r-done........
Life is short---live it tall.

Be kinder than necessary--- everyone is fighting some kind of battle.

Sailors may be struck down at any time, in calm or in storm, but the sea does not do it for hate or spite.
She has no wrath to vent. Nor does she have a hand in kindness to extend.
She is merely there, immense, powerful, and indifferent

AK Yak Atak

• Herring
Gimme details and meeting place and what not. i am trying to get the ok from the wife to be gone for the weekend lol.

dudemandude

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011
Sorry I am a no for this coming weekend still on the slope. I will have 3 weeks off though coming up on the 16th of may. Go back on the 6th of June. The next weekend we will be done on teusday hopefully through sat night. Clamming the morning tides on Wed. and Thursday and maybe fishing the evening tide slack either for kings or halibut. I am going to try to anchor up and vertically jig with probably some brined up hooligan. Maybe some herrring. On a butterfly jig. We will see what happens I hope the weather improves!!!!

anything