Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:10:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by PNW
[April 18, 2024, 11:35:40 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:02:38 AM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: How is Cook inlet  (Read 4399 times)

s_wright121

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
 Are there any place i should stay out of?
and from what i seen when i was up there are the wicked currents.
I think I will be Exploring the Kenai Fjords area quite a bite ;D
what is your guys input?
Aloha steve

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
Kenai Fjords ... beautiful.  Just look up PAL's and my reports from fishing Ailiak Bay.  Access is a problem though.

-Allen

s_wright121

• Krill
OK all I see is glass water
what about rough water?
and tidal changes?

armyjim

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: May 2008
You have to be really mindful of your tidebook, because when the tide changes, it REALLY changes. I got into a rip off Deep Creek that pulled me about five miles out of my way. Damn my arms were tired. Best bet is to keep a tide book with you, and use the tides to your advantage; try to time it so you are headed in the same time the tide is.
As far as rough weather, we've got plenty. On bad days, just stay inside a bay, like on the inside of the spit, and you won't get kicked around too bad.
Bear in mind that Kenai Fjords is on the Prince William Sound side of the Penninsula. PWS is much friendlier to kayak fishing because there are a lot more bays and coves to hide in, but you have to still be really aware of your tide tables. We've got pretty good marine forecasts up here that will keep you apprised of what the sea conditions are. If you don't already have one, a hand held marine VHF is priceless, especially if you can listen in on the powerboat guys talking about where the fish are.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day...
Teach a man to fish and he will sit at his miserable job all day wishing he was fishing...

s_wright121

• Krill
Thanks Armyjim,
what kayak is recommened up there?
Seen a article in Traditional Bowhunter Magazine Solo kayak bear hunting looked great. If I could leave today I would be gone but Caroline(A.K.A WIFEBOSS) said NO BE Patient Steve. What does she know about MAN stuff.
  NAW shes a great wife, can't complain.

armyjim

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: May 2008
What kayak is a grand debate up here. Personally, I prefer a sit-in for going off shore, and I have a SOT for more sheltered bays and lakes and such. If you ask ten people what they recommend, you'll probably get 10 different answers.
If you are going to use a SOT, just make sure you have a drysuit and warm layers, this water is effing cold!
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day...
Teach a man to fish and he will sit at his miserable job all day wishing he was fishing...

s_wright121

• Krill
Thanks I guess I have to try a few out in different conditons up there.
I was going to bring my prowler 15 up there fully rigged with all the goodies but thinking more of the Hobie AI. ???
Aloha Steve

bjoakland

• Salmon
  • Piscis Venator
I have to say that the versatility of the AI is amazing.  It's the fastest hull speed Hobie made to date, and functions beautifully as both mini-tri-maran sailboat and stand alone kayak. It has more storage space than I think I would be comfortable using at sea unless I had it rigged to sail. It does cost a pretty penny, but for me, it's worth it.  I have yet to figure out how to sail and fish it simultaneously as I don't want a 15' mast directly in front of me when I try to fish and you would need to store your poles horizontally or the sail lines would/could foul in the rods.  The ama's are no real issue as they fold against the hull quite easily and are out of the way.  In fact, I met a guy locally that puts the amas when he goes out in the bay so he is ultra stable; stable enough to stand in it.  I personally don't want the extra weight on the 'yak, but to each his own.
•• If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. ~ Doug Larson ••

anything