Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:00:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Valdez, AK  (Read 4364 times)

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
I also have something in the works to go fishing with Pacific Mountain Guides out of Valdez, AK.    Tentatively have something planned with them in late July, final dates TBD.  I'll fill you in on this one as our plans progress.  http://www.pacificmountainguides.com/

-Allen

• Date Registered: Dec 2006
I've fished the Valdez Arm before the pipeline and also Jacks Bay. Cought lots of salmon, saw a great white shark cought and fished fo a cought dolly varden in the streams around Valdez. Small and unspoiled then must be greatly changed now. Enjoy the trip, I'm sure you will have great luck.

My son cought salmom off an island near Anchorage where he was for a couple of weeks last summer. He had the filet sent to me as he had to return to Japan before they were sent. They were very tasty.

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
saw a great white shark cought

I'm going to guess that you saw a salmon shark caught.  That area gets thick with them in places during the summer.

-Allen

Nah!  Great White. Had picsof it for years but second wife was a clean up freak and tossed them as not in her lifetime. My memory recalls that it was 14 or so feet in length and weighed in the neighborhood of 850 pounds. Much bigger than a Salmon Shark I think. Any way ask about it when you are there. Everyone in town who wanted some ate shark that evening and thr rest went to the dogs, quite literally. :D

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Cool deal on the GW.  It must have been eons ago if they kept and ate it.

BTW, salmon sharks in excess of 700# have been caught.

-Allen

The approx date mid summer 1961 or 2. The angler had tried for a couple of years vut had lost fish which broke off. This year used a much longer leader and kept the fish on. Broke a tuna rod during the fight. Cut fish off tied to an inner tube. Rigged a new rod. Chased the tube down. Reconnected. Got fish to boat but it was to far away to finisn. Went to shore. Guide shot the fish from the boat. All this happened in Jacks Bay. I saw most of it. On my way back to the launch point I cought what was arguably the first Silver of the year. On secont thought all this action took place one week before the  Salmon Derby.

Got to run.

Pisco Sicko

• Sturgeon
Whoa, I've heard of commercials catching GWs in their nets, in Alaska, but not rec. fisherman.  :-\

This fisher guy had lost lots of smaller fish to sharks on several tripe to the arm. He decided it was time to strike back so he targeted the shark with equipment bought locally. No trouble hooking up, just keeping the fish on long enough to get it to the boat. Accused the local of selling substandart gear. On last visit rigged a super long leader and the resule was as described above.

When I fished the arm, I was in the Army using Special Service 18 footers with 25hp obs. As I remember the only other sport fishermen were another Army group of two and that shark fisher. A very sleepy ville. The Silver Salmon Derby changed all that the following week though.

A long time ago for me and far away. A great memory though.

Val

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Here's a  writeup in Fish Alaska Magazine this month ... http://www.fishalaskamagazine.com/archives/2007/107_valdez.htm

-Allen

Great article. Thanks for the ref. More than kinda makes a person want to start a trip planning session!

Wow, a thousand rv sites in Valdez. When I was there I dont think that there were a thousand residents total.

Things change. I wonder if this change was for the better. It reads as if the great EXXON spill damage has been corrected which is great news.

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Hah!  I'm now booked with them with 3 others at the end of July.  A three day overnighter trip on the big boat with kayaks coming along.  I'll let you all know more details on this as the date gets closer.

Suffice to say ...  ;D ;D ;D ... I'm a happy camper!!!

-Allen
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 04:55:49 AM by polepole »

How lucky you are! :) Please write all about it here or on KFS. Take lots of pics too.

Lets see. The best I can do is to fish the Jamaica Bay Tourney hosted by KFS in NY in early May, and perhaps the Jacksonville FL Tourney later in the spring. Those being my planned fishing trips for 2007.