Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:53:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by PNW
[April 18, 2024, 11:35:40 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:02:38 AM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Super Cheap Alaska Long Weekend?  (Read 9478 times)

Matt_K

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
For 25,000 miles on delta/northwest/alaskan etc you can fly from Seattle into some tiny little Alaskan towns...

Like Yakutat, Wrangell, Petersberg, etc. (http://www.alaskaair.com/as/alaska/images/asqxroutemap.pdf)

I'm thinking of doing a really cheap self guided four or five day trip. Probably no kayaks though...

The plan would be to fly in to one of these towns during a run in June or July, and then hitchike or rent a car and hike to one of many riverside forest service cabins... maybe bring some fish back on the last day but mostly catch and release or eat.

Anyone have any interest/experience/suggestions?

I was wondering if I should post this on the Alaska forum but since the trip will leave from WA I guess I'll post here.

- Matt

Pisco Sicko

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
With a little leg work ahead of time, you might be able to find rental yaks up there. I think Howard McKim has some in Ketchikan.

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
I'm cashing in some miles to go visit Howard in late June!!!   ;D  I have enough miles to get up to Alaska ... oh, about every weekend through the summer season.  Let me know what you come up with, and I just might join (schedule permitting ... my work schedule sucks this summer).

-Allen

525rider

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Oct 2009
Just came across this post. It looks like something I'd be interested in. Did you go?
I always wanted to go to Alaska and I want to do it next year for sure.
Frank

YakontheFly

• Clouser Meister
  • Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Look at the Foggy Bay Sticky post at the top of this section...

Trust me...  One week, around 2K for everything...  DEAL...

ketchikankayak

• Herring
  • Ketchikan Kayak Co.
  • Date Registered: Oct 2009
Best I know there are no USFS cabins that you can get to from Wrangell/Petersburg without a boat or float plane. But you can't get to those places anyway without stopping in Ketchikan. There's two cabins outside Yakutat that can be hiked to, but it'd be a shame to come up here and not be on salt water.

I can set you up with kayak and such, and you could leave right from here without any transport and have an awesome time. Kayak, camp, and fish where the big fish play. That would be the cheapest, funnest thing for you I think.

Or of course join us in Foggy Bay where its all taken care of..

Howard
Howard McKim
www.ketchikankayakco.com
907-225-1272

YakontheFly

• Clouser Meister
  • Lingcod
Howard,

Seriously trying to get deposit and airfare for Foggy Bay trip...  Will likely arrive a week early and take first week of trip.  Thinking of doing the camping/kayak fishing in Ketchikan, thing we talked about a couple of years ago, when I decided to go back to Valdez with everyone instead.

One of the guys from Valdez last year wants to make this trip too.

Look forward to meeting and fishing with ya bro, regardless...  I am going to Alaska this year...

jself

I am also working on a trip for late August. Not sure if it will be Foggy Bay, but I'm planning on launching out of Ketchikan and taking a min of two weeks to yakcampfish.

My plan right now is to walk on the Alaska ferry in Anacortes with yak and gear and camp on the deck. Round trip, this is the cheapest and easiest way to get there with yaks.

If I don't graduate at the end of summer, I'm going to yakfishcamp the fjords S of Ketchican, riding the ferry up and back.

If I do graduate, I'm going to ride the ferry up and yakfishcamp all the way back to Bellingham.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 10:02:06 AM by NANOOK »

YakontheFly

• Clouser Meister
  • Lingcod
Bro,

How much is the ferry from anacortes and back?

Enquiring minds want to know, as flight to Seattle are generally pretty cheap.  Also, leaves me the possibility of a HOP to the AF Base up there.

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Bro,

Enquiring minds want to know, as flight to Seattle are generally pretty cheap.  Also, leaves me the possibility of a HOP to the AF Base up there.

I believe the ferry from Bellingham is $515 each way.  Not cheap.

-Allen

jself

I looked a few weeks ago and thought I saw $450 RT with the option of jumpin on off anywhere...looking now

J

jself

I got $297 each way Bellingham to Ketchican & back. <$600 is about the same as a flight I guess, but I also don't have to pay for boat rental, and bag check, transport etc. for 200lbs of crap.

really cheap if I'm just riding up. $239 for single passenger, $57 for my kayak....camp in my tent on deck.

I thought allot about this when I was up there. It's the best way I can figure to get boat and gear up there on the cheap.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 02:06:51 PM by NANOOK »

jself

It's only a 37hr boat ride and a pretty cool way to travel I think...not that bad considering I can haul all my own gear.

jself

Bro,

I meant bellingham, sorry.

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Ah ...  you don't have a car, that's why it's cheaper.

I once took the Ferry from Haines down to Prince Rupert.  Slept on the deck.  Hopped off every now and then if the stop looked interesting.  It IS a fun way to travel with a lot of interesting characters on deck.

-Allen

anything