Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:17:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by PNW
[April 18, 2024, 11:35:40 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:02:38 AM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Super Cheap Alaska Long Weekend?  (Read 9478 times)

YakontheFly

• Clouser Meister
  • Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Hmm,

$600.00 round trip, and 4 days of my time, versus one day flight (2 half days), and four nights camping.   

If someone in the Wash area has a Kayak I could borrow (Hint...Hint) and take along, saves another couple hundred for a rental for the two weeks...

Would still be worth the scenery, though getting 100 lbs of fish back would require a little more logistics.  Not insurmountable, but more logistics...

Would be a lot of fun with a couple of buddies to talk s^%$ with on the way up and back...

I wonder how the fishing off the fantail is?   ;D

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
Nanook,  how about a 1 way from Prince Rupert to Ketchikan.  You'll go right by Foggy Bay where I'll have a hot meal waiting for you.

BTW ... Seattle to Prince Rupert is an 18 hour drive.

-Allen

jself

18hrs in your car. 2 weeks and $2k when my 20yo POS craps out at the border :embarassed: I had a friend volunteer to drop me off at the N tip of Vancouver Isl., but I kind of want to ride the ferry.

Mostly I want to take my own boat and gear and not have the car and all that hassle. Always wanted to ride the ferry to AK.

I'll definitely try and hook up with you guys if we're there at the same time.

I'm going to go ahead and book this. I'll have to wait until the end of Feb to book the forest service cabin. If by chance I do graduate this summer, I'll stay at the cabin for a week and then paddle pack and take my sweet ass time resisting responsibility.

jself

Hmm,

$600.00 round trip, and 4 days of my time, versus one day flight (2 half days), and four nights camping.   

If someone in the Wash area has a Kayak I could borrow (Hint...Hint) and take along, saves another couple hundred for a rental for the two weeks...

Would still be worth the scenery, though getting 100 lbs of fish back would require a little more logistics.  Not insurmountable, but more logistics...

Would be a lot of fun with a couple of buddies to talk s^%$ with on the way up and back...

I wonder how the fishing off the fantail is?   ;D

You could just ship it from ketchican or where ever. I C&R&eat until the last day, makes it easier. You'll have more room in the yak at the end of the trip, then box it and ship to yourself from port before you get back on the ferry.

YakontheFly

• Clouser Meister
  • Lingcod
You obviously have never shipped fish back from Alaska...

The cost will kill you!

I generally fly as light as possible to Alaska, bringing only clothes, fishing equipment and sleeping bag.  Then when I return home, I have a carryon with the fishing equipment, ship the clothing and sleeping bag back via post office flat rate, and take two boxes of frozen fish as my checked luggage...  100 lbs.

jself

Actually I just did in October. I brought back 100lbs of salmon checked on the airplane. You can also do this same thing if you arent flying on that plane, as that's how the mail gets there too.

cost $100.

YakontheFly

• Clouser Meister
  • Lingcod
Actually I just did in October. I brought back 100lbs of salmon checked on the airplane. You can also do this same thing if you arent flying on that plane, as that's how the mail gets there too.

cost $100.

My methods, using USPS to ship gear, costs me ZERO for 100 pounds of fish.  Technically I could pay $25.00 for an extra bag and get 150 lbs back for $25.00.

I have a freezer that is large enough, and more than a few friends who would help me eat it all...   ;D

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
What airline are you using?  I don't know of any that don't charge for checked bags these days.

jself

That USPS package will be sitting in the front of the same plane you are on. Except because it's USPS they'll take it off that jet, ship it to a distribution center, then drive it to your house the next day.

Why not just grab it when it comes off the jet?

In Yakutat there's a burger joint next to the airport where you buy fish boxes $15 each that go in the freezer on the plane with the rest of the sea food. I think it was $40 a box or somesuch. Then you just grab it with the rest of your luggage and go home.

jself

Nanook,  how about a 1 way from Prince Rupert to Ketchikan.  You'll go right by Foggy Bay where I'll have a hot meal waiting for you.

-Allen

Where exactly is Foggy Bay anyway?...been looking but not seeing it.

jself

cost $100.

My methods, using USPS to ship gear, costs me ZERO for 100 pounds of fish.  Technically I could pay $25.00 for an extra bag and get 150 lbs back for $25.00.

I have a freezer that is large enough, and more than a few friends who would help me eat it all...   ;D

If you can do it for $25 than do it!

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon

-Allen

Where exactly is Foggy Bay anyway?...been looking but not seeing it.

Look at the inset on the right of this chart ... http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/17434.shtml

-Allen

jself

Is that chart # 17434?

It's hard for me to get a sense of place if I zoom in close enough to read on this crappy monitor. If I zoom out enough to see where I'm looking I can't read it!

I'll have to llok at the real chart...It's by Prince Rupert you said?

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Is that chart # 17434?

It's hard for me to get a sense of place if I zoom in close enough to read on this crappy monitor. If I zoom out enough to see where I'm looking I can't read it!

I'll have to llok at the real chart...It's by Prince Rupert you said?

Yes, that's the chart.  It's roughly 1/2 way between PR and Ketchikan.

-Allen