Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 01:39:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 15, 2024, 03:27:21 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 15, 2024, 07:27:41 AM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

[April 02, 2024, 09:39:30 AM]

[April 01, 2024, 12:06:53 PM]

[March 29, 2024, 08:19:21 PM]

[March 29, 2024, 08:17:12 PM]

by Spot
[March 29, 2024, 03:34:50 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Super Cheap Alaska Long Weekend?  (Read 9473 times)

jself

cool thank you. that clarifies.

looks to be about a 30 mile paddle from ketchican.....hmmmm it's about the same to the cabin 25 miles west of Wrangell I was looking at.

Looks like you might get swell from the Pacific....any idea of surf in the area? That would probably make the decision where to go for me if I could surf and fish.

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
I think it's closer to 40.  And you can get some swell coming up, but I don't think there is any real surf breaks.  That being said, up Very Inlet are a couple of narrow channels marked "rapids" on the chart.  We went up there and it does flow, but we completely missed the peak of the outgo and didn't get a shot at any rapids.

-Allen

jself

I think it's closer to 40.  And you can get some swell coming up, but I don't think there is any real surf breaks.  That being said, up Very Inlet are a couple of narrow channels marked "rapids" on the chart.  We went up there and it does flow, but we completely missed the peak of the outgo and didn't get a shot at any rapids.

-Allen

A couple of my buddies were there to surf the tide race at the peak floods of the year this summer. there is a write up in the current issue of Canoe & Kayak Magazine. Good read, they had some minor disasters (they woke in the middle of the night to 2ft of water in the tent, the island submerged by tide), and the report was the wave wasn't that great like skookumchuk or okisolo.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 12:46:18 PM by NANOOK »

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
I think it's closer to 40.  And you can get some swell coming up, but I don't think there is any real surf breaks.  That being said, up Very Inlet are a couple of narrow channels marked "rapids" on the chart.  We went up there and it does flow, but we completely missed the peak of the outgo and didn't get a shot at any rapids.

-Allen

A couple of my buddies were there to surf the tide race at the peak floods of the year this summer. there is a write up in the current issue of Canoe & Kayak Magazine. Good read, they had some minor disasters (they woke in the middle of the night to 2ft of water in the tent, the island submerged by tide), and the report was the wave wasn't that great like skookumchuk or okisolo.

I'll have to get a copy of the Mag.  I don't think it can compare to those other races as it just doesn't have the volume of water.

-Allen

jself

Do you think having that direct shot to the Pacific makes fishing better than somewhere more "inside"

I kinda feel after my trip to AK that you could show up anywhere with a hook and some string and have the best fishing of your life.

At this point I'm leaning more towards an expedition than a vacation/base camp thing. I actually heard my subconcious say that "If it's kind of scary, it's probably the right thing to do."

I'm focusing on a Juneau to Ketchican trip. I'm thinking I can get internship/special project credit for school and grant $$ to cover the trip by making it more of a cultural research trip ;) Not sure how I'm going to pitch it to them yet, but I'm pretty sure it will work.

That way, I don't have to worry about wether I graduate to do the trip, because technically, I'll be in school.

Ferry to Glacier Bay(stopping in PR for a free meal from PP)yakfishcamp GB to Ketchican, ferry to Bellingham. Should be able to do all that in 2-3 weeks.

It seems like I could camp where ever on forest service land. Am I crazy to think I can just pick a beach and make camp for a night or two along the way?

jself

-Allen

I'll have to get a copy of the Mag.  I don't think it can compare to those other races as it just doesn't have the volume of water.

-Allen

this was all I could find online:

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon

-Allen

-Allen

this was all I could find online:

Where'd you find that?

-Allen

jself

YakontheFly

• Clouser Meister
  • Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
DAMN, DAMN, DAMN...

The Foggy Bay trip is not possible with a RT Ferry from Bellingham.... (Alaska Marine Highway)

Only Ferry arriving from Bellingham, leaves the 13th of August at 6 P.M...   Not bad, except the only return is the 25th at 5 P.M.    ARGH!   :'(

They only have one each way in August...  ARGH..  Looked promising... too...

I could get R/T airfare from here to Seatac for $358.00!   ;D

Then pay for a R/T ferry with kayak at $535.00..    More expensive than a straight R/T from Sav to Ketchikan at $799.61, but if I could have gotten a kayak to take along, would have been worth the trip for two weeks...

Oh well, guess I fly in and out of Ketchikan...  Especially since Alaska Airlines charges ($15.00, $25.00 and $50.00) respectively for each bag checked...  That equals almost 150 lbs of frozen salmon and hali...   ;D

YakontheFly

• Clouser Meister
  • Lingcod
Well...  Upon further research...

Seems I can get one out of Bellingham on the 20th at 6 P.M., and return from Ketchikan the 1st of Sep at 5 P.M.

All for $592.00 R/T with carry on (wheeled Kayak)...

Perfect for the 26 to 31 Foggy Bay Trip....  And my 2 week vacation window.   ;D

Now gets the interesting part...  Looked into cabins for curiosity sake..  A two bed cabin bumps it up to $555.00 each way..... Or a R/T of $1100.00 solo for a R/T.  A total of $1702.00!   :o

However, if I split the cabin costs with someone, the individual trip costs drops $555.00 per person from that, to $1147.00 per person...   :(  Steep, but the comfort of a warm bed is a bonus.

Now, if you book a 4 bed cabin, that is only $100.00 more each way than a 2 bed cabin.  So, the cost per person, with a party of 4 is only $919.50 per person....  Still steep, but again the comfort of a warm bed.

Then, we could always do the Hot Cot of the Navy (Especially since everyone should be bringing sleeping bags anyways.......  Get a two bed cabin, and sleep in shifts...  Could get a full 6 pack for only $185.00 a person over the cost of the ferry and kayak itself, in a two bed cabin..  Or $777.00 per person, R/T.

I could do this, by flying into SEATAC, and linking up with one of you locals and getting a ride to the Ferry...  (Allen  Hint...Hint..  You will be home visiting family then, right?   ;D)

Worst case, I sleep on the deck....  And only spend an additional $592.00 for the view on the way up to Ketchikan.  Still $150.49 more than a R/T trip flight, and a logistical nightmare...  But the scenery...   Would be worth the trip.

Hmmmmm...

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Dude.  I'm looking to book first class tix to Ketchikan!!!  I have so many friggin frequent flyer miles (I've paid my dues flying) that I could go to Alaska like 8 times next year.

-Allen

YakontheFly

• Clouser Meister
  • Lingcod
Dude.  I'm looking to book first class tix to Ketchikan!!!  I have so many friggin frequent flyer miles (I've paid my dues flying) that I could go to Alaska like 8 times next year.

-Allen

You could always SHARE bro, and not bogart all of them!   ;D

bjoakland

• Salmon
  • Piscis Venator
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
If any of ya'll need a ride from Seatac to Bellingham ferry terminal, just give me some notice.  I live in B'ham and don't mind hauling kayaks.  Just lemme know!  Heck, if money starts falling out of the sky, I'll consider joining you!
•• If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. ~ Doug Larson ••

anything