Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:27:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Kenai kayak fishing  (Read 3523 times)

3putttom

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
Hi guys.  I'm new to the board and am real glad to have found you.  I'm going to Alaska in May-Sept and will be on the Kenai Pen for most of the time.  I have an ocean kayak (scrambler xt) and a 10 ft Outcast pontoon boat.  Am looking for some places to shore fish for some small-med size halibut and maybe some rockfish.  I've been up there several times and know my way around pretty well but it's always been for salmon or charter trips.  Now that I have a lot of time I want to do it on my own.  I've heard that Deep Cr. or off the Homer spit might be good places.  Any ideas much appreciated.  Thanks, Tom

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
Welcome 3PT,

You may want to check with Chris at Liquid Adventures in Seward for spots around that part of the peninsula.  His website is http://www.liquid-adventures.com/ and you can find contact info for him there.  He may be slow in getting back to you as this is the offseason and he spends some time down in Baja out of communication.

What's taking you up to the Kenai for such a long period of time?

-Allen

3putttom

• Plankton
Allen, I retired 2 yrs ago and spend a lot of my time bass fishing here in California and playing golf.  My summers are spent in Alaska fishing and visiting friends.  That place is incredible.  I tell all my friends "just go there before you die."  I will be driving up the Cassiar highway fishing along the way.  Am looking forward to pike fishing up in the Yukon as I have never tried that before and a lot of my bass gear will  work for them.  Tom

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
Cool deal 3puttom.

Cassiar highway, huh?  Bringing back some old memories, although I never did get a pike up there.  I sure hope you take some time to post some reports from your trip.   ;)  Sounds like a good one.

Where in CA are you?  I split time between Seattle and San Jose.

-Allen

Pisco Sicko

• Sturgeon
That sounds like a sweet trip.

I'm afraid that if I went up there, it would be too hard to come back home. I doubt my family would like that.

3putttom

• Plankton
I live in Morro Bay.  It's about 100 miles north of Santa Barbara on the coast.  Beautiful  place but not the outdoor excitement of the Yukon or Alaska.  I'm going to fish the Atlin, Squanga, Teslin, Dezadeash  lakes area and hopefully find some decent pike and lakers. Should be some real good grayling fishing along that area also.  I plan to leave around May 10 and aim for the Kenai (Soldotna) about the first week of June for the start of my King fishing.  Some friends from home are flying up in July for the Reds and a different group of friends will be up in late July and early Aug to help me work over the Pinks and Silvers.  In the off time I plan to hit the beach off Deep Creek and Homer for some terrific surf fishing (I've done this in past years and it has to be seen to be believed!!!).  Then in late Aug or early Sept I head south for home and it's back to the bass fishing.  If heaven's like this TAKE ME NOW! 

anything