Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 12:30:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 08:37:24 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: I want to catch a salmon...  (Read 3499 times)

JasonM

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jun 2017
Speaking of gear that I don't have but might need, I see that the Humpy Kayak Classic requires that all participants use a safety flag. That was a bit surprising to me, since very few of the kayak salmon pictures and videos that I see show safety flags on the kayaks. Why the disparity there? I get the importance of needing to be able to signal to a powerboat that I'm there, but that's why I bought a bright orange Werner paddle so I can wave it and yell/whistle. See below for picture of the same brand/model that I bought.

Since I don't have a pedal kayak, I'll likely have the paddle in my hand or very readily accessible at all times. In trying to research the right brand/model of safety flag, it seems that it's not a unanimous opinion that safety flags are overall positive for safety unless it's dark and the safety flag has a light on it. Since the Humpy Kayak Classic is from 7:00am to 2:00pm, there won't be darkness involved so I don't understand the requirement.

Other than the safety flag being a requirement for that particularly event, is this really something I should have on my kayak? Are there times when I should and times that I shouldn't? For the times that I should, which brand/model is recommended and where and how should it be mounted on the kayak?

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
If you're in a busy area, or 3+ fit swells, its a good idea, but very few "good idea to have" equipment items are REQUIRED.

In a tournament there are liability concerns, so you'll see extra emphasis on safety.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

JasonM

• Lingcod
Thanks, Lee. If I'm kayaking where there are 3+ foot swells, there's a good chance that the bottom of my kayak will be facing up fairly often so the safety flag will just be a way to let nearby kayakers know when to laugh again.  :laugh:

Any recommendations on brand/model/location on the kayak to mount?

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Don't be a Tinker and over-think this.  A bicycle safety flag from Wal-Mart works.  Think about the height of the mast so it's not in the way of a cast.  For mounting, I wrapped mine with a hunk of foam cut from a garden kneeling pad to hold it securely in the rear flush mount rod holder of my Hobie.  If you carry a milk crate, zip-tie a piece of PVC pipe to the crate and mount it there.

A flag versus a paddle is really a flag plus a paddle question.  Think of the hypothetical situation in which you have a once in a lifetime fish on the hook and a powerboat is on a heading that will bring it uncomfortably close to you.  Do you lose the fish to grab the paddle and wave it around or do you fly a $7.95 flag - until it's obvious they haven't seen you?
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
For me it's simple ocean or heavy powerboat traffic I fly the flag. What's your life worth? Not saying you'll die without one but if a PB goes over you with the prop spinning your in a world of trouble.

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

JasonM

• Lingcod
Sounds like this $6 bicycle flag from Walmart and and some Goop in one of these foam rod floats that I already have will go into one of the rod holders in this 3-rod rack that's already mounted to the side of the crate on my kayak. Walmart just happens to have the flag in stock to be picked up on my way home tonight. Flag issue solved. :)

Now.. what to do about the whole immersion gear thing...

gnomodom

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
If you're not going to go out chasing winter blackmouths, you can get a farmer john wetsuit for not too much money. To be honest I was out in MA11 last weekend without my drysuit on. The water is definitely warm enough to hang around in long enough to attract attention and some help. That'll change in about a month or so tho.

AndyFishes

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Oct 2016
Don't rule out fishing from shore. I caught my first salmon today off the beach. MA 9 is closed for vessels...Nice little hatchery coho. Helluva way to start the day!

JoshPA14

• Herring
  • JoshH Hobie Pro Angler Fishing
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
Anytime I am on water with other power boats I always have my safety flag flying, and my life vest is a bright yellow, and I always wear a bright colored shirt. I always carry an air horn as well. Out on bigger water with even bigger boats, anything you can do to be seen, you definitely want to do.

On immersion gear, this time of year, with this type of weather in the sound, heck I am in shorts, t-shirt and life vest. The marine area I fish, 8-1 and 8-2, which have been basically closed the past 2 years, I don't have to venture more than 1/4 mile from shore either though. If you are venturing way out and are in more open water, I'd tough it out and don immersion gear. Fall, winter, and spring, it's a must.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Check the safety rules for ORC for ideas on immersion gear that the event organizers list as satisfactory for ocean conditions.

Wear it or not wear it is a different question.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

anything