Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:49:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 18, 2024, 07:40:17 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by PNW
[April 18, 2024, 11:35:40 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:02:38 AM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Rehashing the Mariner steering cables  (Read 1877 times)

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
So long story short, broke the beaded cable on one side of the rudder handle where it gets crimped down by the jam plate. Natives cables are inferior so ss shark leader 7X7 strand and I'll crimp a tight loop at the back where the ring terminals are. Here's the new cable and tool to cut and crimp. Pictures of the repairer and broken part to come.

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
So here's the replacement cables all in.... I know, I know the terminal ends would have been way better but I didn't have them (going to order) and I have enough cable to do two and a half more cables. I will keep the tool and hardware in my trailer so if I go down again it's a parking lot fix instead of calling it a day. You can see where the fray and break happened and on the rudder disk I put the bolts on head down so the cable wouldn't catch the corners of the nuts.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 04:35:07 PM by Mojo Jojo »

Shannon

AKFishOn

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Dec 2015
Interesting seeing two separate cables.  My 2014 Slayer is one cable, which I upgraded with The Kayak Fishing Store's replacement kit.
"If your hands ain't bleeding, you ain't fishing hard enough!"

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
I am surprised they didn't use Amsteel or Dyneema line instead of cable.  It is much stronger, more flexible, nearly zero stretch at full load, and lighter. 

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

AKFishOn

• Lingcod
I am surprised they didn't use Amsteel or Dyneema line instead of cable.  It is much stronger, more flexible, nearly zero stretch at full load, and lighter. 

The steering components have been and still are a big issue with the Native Propel series.  I guess the newer models such as the Titan with new hull designs have greatly improved steering ability, but I believe the rudder and components remain mostly the same. There are a few after market companies that have developed their own replacement steering systems.

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
Interesting seeing two separate cables.  My 2014 Slayer is one cable, which I upgraded with The Kayak Fishing Store's replacement kit.
My 2015 slayer has the same handle and cover plate but the barrel has a single set screw and sleeve on the grove that the cable goes throug then tensions is set at the rudder disc. Looking like that's right in between the two styles. This is used so someone may have put after market lines on it's a 2012 i believe. Next time I open the slayer handle box I'll get a picture. The Mariner rudder is also through the side of the hill so it's a push pull instead of a twist twist.

Shannon

AKFishOn

• Lingcod
My 2015 slayer has the same handle and cover plate but the barrel has a single set screw and sleeve on the grove that the cable goes throug then tensions is set at the rudder disc. Looking like that's right in between the two styles. This is used so someone may have put after market lines on it's a 2012 i believe. Next time I open the slayer handle box I'll get a picture. The Mariner rudder is also through the side of the hill so it's a push pull instead of a twist twist.

Interesting how many iterations Native has gone through. I also have a 2015 Slayer, I like the way the 2014 cable is routed...seems like less of a chance for failure.  Although, I've not had any problems yet.  I'd like to get the BerleyPro rudder and steering upgrade, but they sure are proud of their products.  Big $$.

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon

Interesting how many iterations Native has gone through. I also have a 2015 Slayer, I like the way the 2014 cable is routed...seems like less of a chance for failure.  Although, I've not had any problems yet.  I'd like to get the BerleyPro rudder and steering upgrade, but they sure are proud of their products.  Big $$.
It's on my WAP (wife approval points) (just the steering upgrade) list to purchase, the nice thing is the Slayer is HER kayak, I just keep it in shape using it for her  >:D

Shannon

RoxnDox

• Salmon
  • Native Propel
  • Date Registered: Sep 2013
I haven't done anything with the cables on my 2016 Propel 13, but i did get the Boonedox rudder upgrade as part of the purchase.  Had Blake put it on at the shop (GH Fly Shop).  That Berly looks interesting but not something I need - already set...
Junk Jigs "BEST USE OF ACTUAL JUNK" category - "That tape should have been a prized possession and not junk. That will be a collectors item in 30 years!” & “There sure is a lot of junk in there.”