Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:42:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Catching Kokanee With Beer  (Read 1930 times)

uplandsandpiper

As I near the statistical mid-point of my life I've become more concerned with what kind of lasting impact I will have upon the kayak fishing community in the Northwest. As a child my mom always told me I would amount to something great and my dad always pushed me to be the best at whatever I do. Greatness and fame have largely evaded me thru much of my life...until now.

I was sitting in the backyard enjoying a cold beer watching chicken tv, watching chickens because you can't get cable is something all rednecks do. I looked down at the cold shiny blue can of Kokanee in my hand, all covered in the images of glorious Rocky Mountain glaciers and filled with the magical urine colored elixir we call beer, when I had an idea.

Could I be the first to catch a kokanee salmon on a can of Kokanee beer?

I immediately set my compromised brain cells to task crafting a dodger from a crushed can of Kokanee beer and with the addition of a few swivels, split rings, and hooks converted the tab into a lure. Only one rod and reel in my arsenal deserved the honor of fishing this finely crafted fishing tackle, my Eagle Claw kokanee rod and Shakespeare line counter reel.

The next day after work I set off for a small mountain lake nestled in the smoke covered foot hills of the eastern Cascades. I was somewhat disappointed by the lack of action on the beer can dodger but the tab was spinning nicely. With a little tweeking of the can I sent the gear down into the murky depths haunted by small salmon whose souls are so tortured by their inability to swim to the ocean that they resort to eating corn. Sad.

Fifteen minutes into the troll the Eagle Claw jumped to life. I was nervous as I slowly cranked the 80' of monofilament back towards the kayak. The fight was stronger than expected. I thought perhaps I had hooked a Rainbow Trout, those stupid fish will eat anything. Alas the beer can came into view and in tow was a rather robust kokanee. As I slipped the kokanee in the net the can rattled loudly signaling one of the greatest achievements in kokanee angling of the 21st century.

There is no doubt I've earned my place among the great kokanee anglers of the world. Kokanee anglers like Jared Johnson and Gary Miralles have left their mark upon this sport fishery and now Tyler Hicks has too. You might disagree with me and I might tell you to take a long paddle without a PFD but I won't. Why? Because that is not what legendary anglers like myself do. As an ambassador to the sport I've got to swallow my pride and reserve my ego.

Instead I want to inspire other kayak anglers to pursue their passion and to leave their mark on the sport fishing community. There is nothing you can't do from a kayak that can't be done from a powerboat. Most of the time we can do it better. Dream a dream and paddle to it.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 09:17:12 AM by uplandsandpiper »

Shin09

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
You had me laughing out loud at work that a coworker came over and watched the video as well!  Great job and ingenuity.  You definitely have left your mark on the Kokanee world
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

AKFishOn

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Dec 2015
Innovation...or should I say, beerovation at it's finest! 
"If your hands ain't bleeding, you ain't fishing hard enough!"

hdpwipmonkey

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2014
Junk jig to the MAX!  Way to go Tyler.
Can I have you autograph my fishing rod? [emoji23]
Ray
2020 Hobie Outback "Chum Chicken"
2018 Native Titan 10.5 "Battle Barge"
Wilderness Tarpon 100

www.facebook.com/HOWNOC

2016 Junk Jig Challenge
Category - IT’S NOT A DRINKING PROBLEM IF YOU’RE BEING CREATIVE
1st place - The Drunken Bastard

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Nice! Drinking beer on the www and kayak fishing successfully I might add. Can we call you Tyler "Kayak Fishing God" ?

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

Mark Collett

• Sturgeon
  • Make It Happen
  • Date Registered: May 2011

Yup

That's about as redneck as you can get. Nice job there buddy.
Life is short---live it tall.

Be kinder than necessary--- everyone is fighting some kind of battle.

Sailors may be struck down at any time, in calm or in storm, but the sea does not do it for hate or spite.
She has no wrath to vent. Nor does she have a hand in kindness to extend.
She is merely there, immense, powerful, and indifferent

RoxnDox

• Salmon
  • Native Propel
  • Date Registered: Sep 2013
Damn man, how cool is that!   :D :D :D :D

For your next assignment, you need to go to the coast and catch yourself some Rockfish with a lure made from a real rock, preferably fishing from someplace called Rock Island or Point or something...  :) :)
Junk Jigs "BEST USE OF ACTUAL JUNK" category - "That tape should have been a prized possession and not junk. That will be a collectors item in 30 years!” & “There sure is a lot of junk in there.”

Drifter2007

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
Well done my good man!
1991 Desert Storm (USMC)
2004-2005 OIF (US ARMY)
2006-2007 OEF (US ARMY)
2009-2010 OIF II (US Army)
2016 Retired!

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
You're already a legend, Tyler! 
Way to slam Kokanee, and slam kokanee!!

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
LOVED this!!  Nice work!!    :occasion14:
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 07:49:47 PM by rawkfish »

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

Matt M

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Really enjoyed this one. It's a nice change from the typical "Challenge" on youtube which involves buying "just $20 worth" of senkos and hooks at walmart.
-Matt

Old Town Sportsman 120 PDL

Ranger Dave

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2011
Nice job, Tyler. Glad to see Spilt Milt is still in production mode, despite all of those mid-life/adult required tasks. Just getting back to VanTucky myself, and the NWKA forum doing some catch up, seeing who's still around, as well as lots of new folks.

Stay thirsty my friend.  :notworthy:
Retired Army - 67N/67V/67R/15R

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
As mentioned elsewhere - awesome idea and execution, thanks for the laughs! Beautiful lake - wish it was 5 hours closer.  ;D

anything